Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 01/01/2006, 11:24 PM
Registered Member

Angry $$$ Jumping out of my tank!!!!

Okay I expect to lose a fish or two during this whole "Learning" process, but I expected me to be the executioner by doing something wrong. We bought two Neon Gobies on Friday. Today we found one laying behind the tank on the floor. The other is MIA. I understand that these fish are known to hide in the rock for days, so I guess there is still hope that the cat didn't enjoy a seafood snack.

I'm still using the standard AGA lighting and hood so the only places it or they could have jumped out are the cutouts for the hoses going to and from the pump/filter. I plan on adding an AGA oak Canopy within the next week or two and will put MH and Actinic bulbs. Hopefully there won't be a place for dollars to jump out of the tank through the canopy.

Just wanted to share my first bad experience with everyone.
Thanks for listening.

[Originally posted by nrike
"that has to be one of the ugliest tanks i seen in my life. but nice effort"]
Old 01/01/2006, 11:27 PM
RC Mod

[welcome]

I lost a Swiss Guard basslet that jumped one day. I suspect it was startled when I came into the room. Sigh!
Old 01/02/2006, 12:32 AM
Premium Member

So sorry about your loss, carpet surfing is the worst way to lose a fish. It's not the same, but yesterday I found my favourite snail dead behind the tank. She was with me for about six months, a big, beautiful Trochus with deep purple colouration and a baby blue & yellow face. Looks like she crawled into the fuge and then kept on going over the side
Old 01/02/2006, 12:59 AM
Registered Member

I just got a sleeper goby about a week and half ago and didn't see him for the first week. The only way I could tell he was still alive was the sand layout kept changing. He came out about 3 or so days ago and looks like is doing well, eating all the scraps at the bottom of the tank. Look are your sand, see if it changes around good sign that he still alive.
Old 01/02/2006, 06:39 PM
How YOU doin?

I had a clown jump when the tank was left dark for a couple of days, when I was switching ballasts. I put eggcrate on the back except for a 1" gap above the hang-on overfow box.

The I got 3 firefish. One got into the outside part of the overflow box, the other made it to the sump. So the 1" gap is closed up now, and the inside overflow box is covered, too.

Reefcentral Folding@Home team 37251 - Click my little red house to learn more and help medical science!
Old 01/02/2006, 07:01 PM
Registered Member

That's really bad luck, especially as you actually have a hood. I'm having problems with my new freshwater tank at the moment - the zebro danios won't stop jumping into the overflow box where the filter is housed.
Old 01/02/2006, 07:23 PM
Registered Member

I got three $30 wrasses-flasher or whatever.
2 went THROUGH the eggcrate to carpet-surf. I caught one of them (the male) stunk INTO the eggcrate, tried to save him, but.,.... he died the next day.

at least they were in the tank for a couple months before hand!!!
and I blame it completely on my cinnamon clowns!
Old 01/02/2006, 08:42 PM
Registered Member

At least I'm not alone!! Good news though, I did find the other goby. He is hiding in a hole in one of the rocks. My daughter was really excited that we didn't lose both of them and my cat was really excited to know that lunch could hop out at anytime!!!

[Originally posted by nrike
"that has to be one of the ugliest tanks i seen in my life. but nice effort"]