Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 09/24/2007, 07:53 AM
Registered Member

Canadian Exit Flatworm Question

It seems I can't buy the Exit Flatworm stuff at any LFS here in Toronto. Even Big Al's didn't have it, so instead, they sold me this pro-something which elimates flatworms, tapeworms, and 2 other kinds of pest worms. So I was supposed to use only a teaspoon, but ended using the whole one once bottle (this was Saturday)... but nothing happened, nothing at all, there still multiplying like crazy.

Will ONLY exit Flatworm work?
Any Canadians manage to find this stuff, or just order online?
Tks for the comments
Old 09/24/2007, 08:08 AM
RC Admin
Canuck Reefer

Health Canada has banned the sale of flatworm exit for some reason. That's why you can't find it in stores.

"I have heard of a place where humans do battle in a ring of Jello."
Old 09/24/2007, 08:44 AM
Moved On

Can we send it up to you guys? That seems pretty odd to me. If they banned its sale, how do they look at its possesion? If your allowed to have, it im sure DFS would be happy to send it to you.
Old 09/24/2007, 09:30 AM
Registered Member

OK, any Canadians ever had a flatworm prblem? Pls share how you took care of it. Do I need to drive across the border?
Old 09/24/2007, 12:08 PM
Registered Member

bump.... is my tank doomed just cause I can't get exit flatworm in Canada? Am I alone in Canada to have this problem?
Old 09/24/2007, 12:52 PM
Registered Member

Hey fellow Canadian......I'm Canadian too, but sorry I have not had a flatworm problem.. I live in Woodstock Ont and I frequently go to Big Als in London so next time i there I'll see what i can find for ya. Theres also a few other places i go in london, I'll look around, just in case i do end up with that problem, (heaven for bid)it would be good fro me to know where I can find a cure!! Good luck John!!!!!!!!!!! Christine
Old 09/24/2007, 01:22 PM
Registered Member

Heard it helps to increase water movement, helps to rid the flatworm problem. If the flatworms are on any corals, have you done freshwater dips/iodine dip? Blue velvet sea slugs are suppose to be beneficial also. Good luck!!! Christine
Old 09/24/2007, 02:12 PM
"Old Yeller"

actually the flatworm population is likely to die down as the nutrient is used up. (key to problem here is excess nutrient)

Just give it some time to stabilize and after the population boon ends and the numbers decline, you can decide on FWE use.

You can vacuum out as many as you can as well. At least you will feel like you are doing something in the mean time.
Old 09/24/2007, 02:43 PM
Registered Member

Hi Randall, I was hoping it would die out on its own. They've been multiplying for almost 2 months now. My tank is almost 2 years old. I dont know how to measure for excess nutrients, but I'm carefull on the feeding, and have no nuisance algae whatsoever, so I judge that there aren't excess nutrients. not enough to feed them and keep them multiplying. maybe I'm wrong, I dont know, but I dont think waiting anymore is good in my case
Old 09/24/2007, 03:19 PM
"Old Yeller"

They are a nuisance more than anything, vacuum out what you can. If you have that many to deal with, you are going to have a toxic dump on your hands when you do finally use FWE. For every 1 you see, there are probably 50 you can not, they are like lousy roaches

Two months is pretty short time, I would advise to wait another 30 to 60 days if you can (I know they look awful)

Make sure you follow the directions. The biggest help I have seen is to make a 1/8" vacuum tube. Connect a 1/4 hose to it and start a siphon. Use this to remove as many as you can see BEFORE treatment. If you run the siphon through a filter sock, you can replace the water back in the tank before treating with FWE.

On treatment of FWE, you are going to see an amazing amount of "gooey masses of worms" that form long chains. Suck em out as fast as possible and stay after it. You will need a good amount of water ready to replace the water you are removing (this water is unusable as is).

Most tanks I have treated, require a second treatment within a day or 2 as well.

This is just stuff in addition to the instructions on the package.
Old 09/24/2007, 04:03 PM
Registered Member

OK, thanks Randall, I'll take your advise and wait and see what happens
Old 12/28/2007, 04:10 PM
Registered Member

ok, so here's an update, the flatworms haven't "expired" on their own. Its been 6 months, and at this point, they have taken over my tank. Mt tank is just RED. My GSP is totally gone, and they're eating away my coraline, at least my other corals are fine.

Well, in a country that doesn't sell Flatworm exit I have managed to find it, and I will nuke the little red b*stards this weekend.