Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)

Old 01/11/2008, 05:40 PM
Registered Member

Penguin BioWheel 350 Question

I have heard mixed thoughts on biowheel filters. I was originally told to get one (I did) and I have seen them on a lot of SW tanks. Some people told me its fine to use them but to get rid of the biowheels where as I have seen a lot of SW tanks with the biowheels still on the filter. Why would you removed the biowheel, nitrates? I have a 20 gallon high. Also should I clean the biowheels? I have been told not to.

thanks
Old 01/11/2008, 06:06 PM
Registered Member

i use one on my quarantine tank. i think its fine as the load is always very light on that tank...a ten gallon. also i don't think you clean then until they begin having trouble spinning. i think most peoples gripe with them is the inability to process nitrates because they only colonize aerobic bacteria(oxygen loving). i would only use them on a small tank, which i do, because frequent water changes are the easiest and cheapest filtration on small systems. so i say use it but keep a good water change schedule. jmo.
Old 01/12/2008, 03:43 AM
Registered Member

I used one for a while on the 20 gallon I had set up for a while. I never had nitrate problems, but that was probably at least partly because I had a DSB. I did, however, have problems with the pump on the filter being very finicky (it would randomly stop working even with a perfectly clean impeller, and no other obstructions).