Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/20/2007, 05:34 PM
Registered Member

Majestic Angle??

Anyone keep a Juvinile majestic in a reef with sps (3" long). I would like to get one to add with my pair og Regals and Joculator. I will only do it if the risk is minimal but to coral and fish. I would like to hear from some Angel fish experts out there. Thanks..
Old 12/20/2007, 07:23 PM
Insane Reefer

I've found the Majestic or Navarchus to be great in a reef with the exception of larger LPS such as an open brain or Cynarina. They're quite efficient at eradicating Aptasia as well.
Old 12/21/2007, 10:15 AM
Registered Member

Come on people. Any Experience keeping Regals and Majestic's together in the same system. My system is a 150 reef. There is a pair of regals and a joculatror co existing together. Angle experts please comment...
Old 12/21/2007, 11:48 AM
Premium Member

Here is my advice- you probably wont like it, though. You have too many angels in a 150 already. I say definitely do not do it. Somethings gonna die if you do.
Old 12/24/2007, 05:37 PM
Registered Member

This month's Tank of the Month has a Majestic in his reef
Old 12/24/2007, 06:30 PM
Registered Member

I guess that all depends on what you consider to be an expert on angel fish, or SPS, husbandry. I know there are a lot of people out there with elegant systems which could support what you are asking about; they are the exception and not the rule. Most people who keeps these fish have a lot of first hand knowledge, coupled with stable systems they have perfected over time. I am not such a person.

If you have two Regals and a Joculator that are cohabitating in a 150 I would only consider myself lucky--if that was my system. It sounds like to me that you are on the upper thresholds of your system (without knowing the complexity of your setup).
Old 12/25/2007, 01:50 PM
Premium Member

I had a 3.5" Majestic Angel and it was difficult to get him to eat, he passed after a couple weeks.

I now have a 6" Majestic and he is doing great for 6 wks so far!

Make sure to get one that has been in a store for awhile and eating pellets. You might have better luck with a 5-6" size. Mine has not touched tridacnas, SPS, torch, hammerheads or mushrooms, at least not yet. I do not have any open brains.

Majestics are less aggressive than other large angels and should be limited to one large angel per 150g - 220g. I do have him with 1 large Purple Tang, 2 medium Yellow Tangs and he is large enough to not be picked upon.

Large angels generally are safer for SPS tanks than dwarfs, but clams can be at risk. I had to trade in a Coral Beauty due to nipping SPS.

Awesome fish, my favorite!
Old 12/25/2007, 02:12 PM
Registered Member

I have got a juvenile that is changing right now. he eats just about anything , has not bothered anything as for clams,lps or anemone's