Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment

Old 07/25/2007, 04:31 PM
High Plains Drifter

DUDE......that thing is SICK!!!!!!

Built like a brick!!! Hands down some of the highest quality craftsmanship in the skimmer industry.

Very nice pick up. I'm sure you will love it

Jim

Last edited by jimdogg187; 07/25/2007 at 04:38 PM.
Old 07/25/2007, 07:11 PM
RC Sponsor

wow Tom you got that fast.
but nevermind the skimmer...is that a ping pong table I see behind the van? oh its on buddy...
The most beautiful thing that we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed. -Albert Einstein
Old 07/25/2007, 08:00 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by EuroReef Tec1
is that a ping pong table I see behind the van? oh its on buddy...
Watch out!! Who do you think taught Tom Hanks those moves in Forrest Gump!!!
Old 07/25/2007, 09:55 PM
Premium Member

Euroreef tech...I didn't receive any directional returns on my RC 750...can you help me out? I already contacted Marine Depot and ER directly through the warranty department but I would like to get someone on it ASAP!
Old 07/25/2007, 10:01 PM
Registered Member

once you get that bad boy up and running you can come by a set up my rc1000 when i get it. i was talking to a guy at dallas north aquariums about ozone directly into the skimmer and they indicated that thats the prefered way to do it and that it has no adverse affect on skimming or the skimmer itself, so I am confused why euro reef is against it. on a thread that calfo has he suggests running it through an old skimmer since they can be cheaply aquired. i would prefer to run it into the new skimmer and cannot see why i can't. is just euro reefs position as a broad statement to avoid warranty issues or has anyone else done this.
Old 07/25/2007, 10:56 PM
High Plains Drifter

This is right from the ER website:

Q#2. Can I use OZONE (O3) in my Euro-Reef protein skimmer?

A#2. Yes, all Euro-Reef protein skimmers are safe for use with ozone.

Q#3. Should I use OZONE (O3) in my Euro-Reef protein skimmer to control my ORP?

A#3. Our official position is, NO, you should not use OZONE in your Euro-Reef protein skimmer. While the answer to this question is our opinion, there are some important "facts" that have lead us to our current position and they should be considered. ORP, or Oxidation Reduction Potential, is a very mis-understood measurement and also an overused and abused term. While ozone will "technically" affect/adjust your ORP, it is far more desirable to achieve a stable ORP level via proper protein skimming, regular small water changes, and the consistent use of small amounts of GAC (Granular Activated Carbon). Ozone is extremely dangerous and very difficult to use properly. It should most definitely NOT be used in a protein skimmer if your intent is to gain the maximum benefit from it with the least amount of hassle. The reason it should not be used in a skimmer is that it inhibits the skimming process and defeats the purpose of the skimmer all together because it oxidizes organics (converts them into Nitrate) that the skimmer is supposed to remove BEFORE they are oxidized. If your intent is to use OZONE as a prophylactic to control pathogens ( parasites, bacteria etc,.), then a much better medium for ozone use is an ozone reactor. This device will allow you to get the maximum benefit from ozone while allowing the best opportunity to make sure that residual ozone does not enter into the filtration system/ sump or the aquarium proper where it can be very damaging. At the very least one should learn all one can about OZONE and weigh the drawbacks and benefits as an informed decision is ALWAYS a better decision.

If you do choose to use ozone, we suggest that you contact your local dealer or the manufacturer of the ozone generator to determine how to best utilize the device with our product.
Old 07/25/2007, 11:40 PM
><O>Euro-Reef*R*C500 <O><

Quote:
Originally posted by tom obrecht
Euroreef tech...I didn't receive any directional returns on my RC 750...can you help me out? I already contacted Marine Depot and ER directly through the warranty department but I would like to get someone on it ASAP!
was curious on which way your going to put the 45s on

i put mine straight down
got turbulance

then a little to the sides = got better

then when i put them towards the sides it seem to be skimming even better than ever.. i wanted to push the bubbles lower inside the reaction chamber but i guess that doesnt matter

love that neck size though mine is only 4" i think and yours is 5.5" awesome!
Old 07/26/2007, 06:38 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by huskerreef
once you get that bad boy up and running you can come by a set up my rc1000 when i get it. i was talking to a guy at dallas north aquariums about ozone directly into the skimmer and they indicated that thats the prefered way to do it and that it has no adverse affect on skimming or the skimmer itself, so I am confused why euro reef is against it. on a thread that calfo has he suggests running it through an old skimmer since they can be cheaply aquired. i would prefer to run it into the new skimmer and cannot see why i can't. is just euro reefs position as a broad statement to avoid warranty issues or has anyone else done this.
Yes, I would like to know as well for I would like to run ozone also.
Old 07/26/2007, 09:42 AM
High Plains Drifter

Euroreef has returned to the sponsor forums!!!!
Old 07/26/2007, 09:59 AM
Registered Member

Awesome news. I just joined the club with a RS100. When I opened the box part of the pump was broken. Must have broken during shipping. I talked to Euroreef and they are taking care of it. Great customer service.
Old 07/26/2007, 11:13 AM
RC Sponsor

Tom Pm sent
The most beautiful thing that we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed. -Albert Einstein
Old 07/26/2007, 12:18 PM
TRC Leader

Glad to hear the forum is back!
Old 07/26/2007, 01:03 PM
Registered Member

Any way I can fit an RS250 into 11.5 x 17 inch area? I have read that you need about 12 x 14. Skimmer was delivered today but I'm still at work (

If I have to I can know out a plate of glass to give me about an extra inch.
Old 07/26/2007, 05:58 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

What the forum is back?? I'm off to post

Lunchbucket

"Nancy-Boy Extraordinaire"
- maxxII-
Old 07/29/2007, 09:22 AM
Registered Member

bump
Old 07/29/2007, 01:20 PM
Premium Member

So what's the verdict on the ozone question?
Old 08/01/2007, 11:20 AM
Registered Member

Alright I hooked up my RS250 on Sunday night and I have yet to be able to the the water at the right height. I had the water 1" into the center chamber of the cup and by the time I get home the cup it is overflowing. I lower is by a half inch and after 48hrs there is no collection in the cup. What am I doing wrong?
Old 08/01/2007, 11:27 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by motopsycho
What am I doing wrong?
Probably nothing......
For some strange reason ER's can take a few days before they start to work.
Kinda like a break in period.

At least that has been my experience with all three of mine.....

Fuzz
Old 08/01/2007, 09:14 PM
Registered Member

How is the RS-80 as far as spitting bubbles into the sump from the output?
Old 08/02/2007, 01:34 PM
Registered Member

mine seems to like a consistent water level, if that changes through evaporation / top off I find I need to make a minor re-adjustment.
Old 08/08/2007, 12:29 PM
Registered Member

I have a rs80 and was wondering if the water return pipe have to be out of the water and if it isnt will it effect the skimmate much
Old 08/08/2007, 01:27 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by hensleyrobw
I have a rs80 and was wondering if the water return pipe have to be out of the water and if it isnt will it effect the skimmate much
It depends on the water depth the skimmer is standing in, but usually it does cause back pressure and thus the output pipe is not submerged.
Old 08/09/2007, 09:49 AM
Premium Member

I have an RS-80 and I recently removed my filter sock to allow my protein skimmer to skim what my sock was collecting. When I feed frozen foods, my skimmer stops skimming. The foam level drops and small bubbles inside the neck quickly become large bubbles and production drops. Should'nt production increase and foam level rise with the added organics?
Old 08/09/2007, 11:25 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tom obrecht
Yes, I would like to know as well for I would like to run ozone also.
yes it's finehttp://euro-reef.com/Warranty%20Serv...FAQ.shtml#faq2
Old 08/09/2007, 01:09 PM
Registered Member

New member to the club. I got an RS-80 that i set up for my 60 gallon tank. After 32 hours i had skimmed off an inch in the collection cup of what i like to call Sea-Sewage. So far im really liking my skimmer. After 24 hours the bubbles really settled down so i could adjust them to come further up in the cylinder.

When everyone says that turbulance isnt good...what are they refering to. isnt the water column supposed to be turbulent?