Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Upstate Reef Society
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/09/2008, 07:37 PM
Registered Member

Coral at A Reef Creation

Hey,
We went to A Reef Creation in Buffalo today and saw this wavy green grassy coral for 29,99 or something like that.. I totally forgot the name of it, and would like to do some more research on it..

Anyone have any idea what it could be ? It was a pretty big piece.

Thanks in advance..
Old 01/09/2008, 07:42 PM
Registered Member

Might have been Green Star Polyps.

Here is a pic http://www.frontiernet.net/~playfair/4sale/grnstar.jpg

"And that's all I have to say about that."
Old 01/09/2008, 07:44 PM
Registered Member

Also, when you are at Reef Creations just ask Randy, Dave, Chris, or Chris, they are full of useful info on corals.

Old 01/09/2008, 07:45 PM
Wish coral grew faster

Was it the stoney in the main display (Branching coral)? thats a green slimer.
Old 01/09/2008, 07:56 PM
Registered Member

Hmmm.. I don't believe it was a green star polyp...

Let me draw a quick map of where it was... it was in the frag room :-)

One of those guys did tell me what it was.. but i had a really long day.. so too tired to remember.. should have written it down.. But ... that wont help me now... The store is too far away from me to actually go there often.. (i'm in rochester)

Thanks for the help
Old 01/09/2008, 08:15 PM
yes it's my aquarium

is this what you're talking about?
if so, see my garage sale thread.....
Old 01/09/2008, 10:21 PM
Registered Member

If you can let me know what tank it was in I could probably better let you know what it is. When you walked into the reef room was it in one of the tanks on the right hand side when you first walk into the reef room? (they are 125's, 6 foot long tanks) Was it in the look down tank? Or was it in one of the four 75's that are stacked 2 by 2 next to each other against the far wall?

I know that the goniopora he has in one of the 125's are 29.99
Old 01/10/2008, 06:59 AM
Registered Member

Thats about the best i can do in a hurry
Old 01/10/2008, 10:20 AM
Registered Member

Elegance?

Gonipora?

Old 01/10/2008, 10:43 AM
Premium Member

torch?

Old 01/10/2008, 11:25 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ElDiabloPollo
Also, when you are at Reef Creations just ask Randy, Dave, Chris, or Chris, they are full of useful info on corals.
This is really a strange thread. I don't mean to be rude, but, hope instead this can be a lesson for everyone out there.
On the one hand, I'm glad to see you were interested to do additional research, and didn't just impulse buy - possibly bringing home an animal that you were ill equipped to properly care for. On the other hand, as it says above, you should not have been afraid to ask and there are several well qualified people to help you. I have not personally been to Reef Creations, but all the reviews have been fabulous.

Now, I will happily give you the benefit of doubt, and say perhaps it was very busy when you were there, or, maybe you had very little time and just popped in to see if a particular creature was in stock, and also noticed this one. My advice for you and everyone out there is, when you have questions at your LFS, ask. Or if you don't live by a quality store and instead rely on delivery services, Call them. Ask them questions. At a minimum, it should confirm information you have obtained thru Reef Central, books and magazines and - thus confirming whether they are a reputable dealer.

Sorry for the rant, but, I have seen how my own ignorance early on led to some beginner mistakes, and have changed my ways and always ask questions before purchasing. And typically, the staff at our LFS love discussing anything Saltwater aquarium hobby related.
Old 01/10/2008, 11:49 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by psychofishy
One of those guys did tell me what it was.. but i had a really long day.. so too tired to remember.. should have written it down.. But ... that wont help me now...
I can completely relate to what you are saying. I often think I should bring a pad of paper and pen with me when I go to the LFS. Even when I try to be good and not impulse buy I often forget the name before I get a chance to get home and do my homework.

My son said I should have been a potatoe bug farmer.
Old 01/10/2008, 01:51 PM
Registered Member

Ishmael's Dad - don't take offense back, but I don't think there is a lesson to be learned by psychofishy here...

He indicated that he did ask questions while at the LFS, he just forgot the name of the coral. He is trying to remember so that he can do research. I think he is taking all the right steps toward responsible reefkeeping.

I totally agree with your comments - and this methodology is something I have also failed to follow early on and have been burned by it.
Old 01/10/2008, 02:14 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by josh.vince
Ishmael's Dad - don't take offense back, but I don't think there is a lesson to be learned by psychofishy here...

He indicated that he did ask questions while at the LFS, he just forgot the name of the coral. He is trying to remember so that he can do research. I think he is taking all the right steps toward responsible reefkeeping.

I totally agree with your comments - and this methodology is something I have also failed to follow early on and have been burned by it.
NO offense taken - Going back, I see I missed the part of the post where he indicated talking to the staff.
Old 01/10/2008, 03:11 PM
Registered Member

I know exactly which piece you mean. I saw it there last weekend, but assumed it was a really big chunk of GSP.

If I had a dollar for every time I saw a coral that I liked, but forgot it's name by the time I got home.... well, let's just say it'd be spent on more corals
Old 01/10/2008, 06:06 PM
Registered Member

I think it was the Elegance.. it looked way more grassy, likely because it was closed...

Thanks very much
Old 01/10/2008, 07:12 PM
Registered Member

I was just at Reef Creation and it was actually Goniopora, judgeing by your map and the price.

Old 01/10/2008, 09:17 PM
Premium Member

you could also call them and they more than likely can answer your question
Old 01/10/2008, 09:33 PM
Registered Member

Ah... yea.. definitely the Goniopora, wife recognizes things better than i do

Thank you very much... (anyone got small frags in rochester?)
Old 01/10/2008, 09:43 PM
Wish coral grew faster

left side is an elegance coral...they are more like 80.00 and up.

Old 01/10/2008, 09:48 PM
Wish coral grew faster

Or like this one?

Old 01/11/2008, 12:28 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KurtsReef
Or like this one?

The coral in the picture above is an Alveopora. Very similar to a Goniopora, but they have 12 tentacles around the oral disk while Goniopora has 24 tentacles.

The coral in question by psychofishy is a Goniopora.

Most Goniopora do poorly in captivity and it's not a coral for beginners. We go out of our way to avoid bringing them in, but unfortunatly, when we purchase someone else's whole coral order, some of these guys are in there.

Alveopora on the other hand does pretty well in Captivity, and you will see some people growing and selling frags of them.
Old 01/11/2008, 08:14 PM
Wish coral grew faster

Bought the green one above from Randy about 5 months ago, is doing fine in the shade did not like it in full light.

He had a red one that looked cool, think it was the Gonipora...
Old 01/12/2008, 12:21 AM
Registered Member

Sorry to hijack

But the tank is looking great, Kurt.