Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself

Old 01/10/2008, 01:49 AM
Registered Member

Filling the Holes??

I have a large tank (225 gallon) with dual overflows in the rear corners. The drain holes are, I believe, 2" and are drilled in the bottom pane.

I have no intention of using the overflow/sump system at this time. I plan to remove the overflow partitions in order to maximize tank space. However, I do have plans to use the overflows sometime in the future.

That being said, what do you suggest to cap the holes? Would threaded pipe plugs in the bulkheads withstand the water pressure?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thx!
Old 01/10/2008, 02:34 AM
T5 Reefer

I have used pipe plugs with teflon tape for this purpose and have had no trouble but I would strongly caution against removing the overflows. If you are setting up a reef tank and have no plans for a sump or refugium at this time just don't hook anything to the bulkheads but you will most likely be glad you have them in a few months when you have some sort of trouble like increased phosphates or you would like to get the heaters and probes out of the display tank by adding a simple sump/fuge system.

Most people get into the hobby by buying a non-drilled tank and then wish they had one that was drilled and have to build their own overflows. You have the opposite problem but, in my opinion, you should just hold off for a while before removing them.
Old 01/10/2008, 10:51 AM
Can't be listed on **

If you want to use the holes in the future. Threaded plugs, or if you want to be able to use them without draining the tank. Do a valve. Then you can just hook up whatever you want and open the valve.

Kim
Old 01/10/2008, 12:41 PM
Registered Member

threaded bulk head with a plug.

Just when you think you have made it Idiot proof, they just build a better Idiot.