Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Arizona - Fish & Reef Aquarium Group (FRAG)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/09/2008, 04:25 PM
GO BEARS!!

OT Word of warning

I consider all of the people here on the Frag forum my friends. I also consider it my duty to inform my friends when someone does me wrong so they steer clear of that person or company. If you had the roof replaced on your house and they did a horrible job as my friend I would expect you to tell me so I would make sure not to use the same company. If you don't agree with my thinking you should probably skip the rest of this post.

I had a work truck that the transmission was slipping. I took it into Cottman transmission in Tempe for their $250 inspection. They removed and inspected the transmission and called me saying it needed a new transmission. They quoted $3K for a new one. The truck was not worth 3K so I said no thanks I will come in and get it. I arrived at the location paid the $250 change was handed my keys but the truck would not start. I went back in and asked why and they said that it did not have my transmission in it anymore. I asked why and they said that their inspection did not include reinstalling the transmission, that was an additional $300. And that they could not even guarantee that it would drive anymore. I'm now going into a legal battle with them. As my friends this is my warning to you steer clear of this shop. I wish I had checked out the BBB website before I went in, they have 8 complaints already. I'm not looking for and consoling on this just don't want to see any of you go thru this.

Ryan
Old 01/09/2008, 04:29 PM
Registered Member

I made the mistake of paying the $3000.
Old 01/09/2008, 04:35 PM
Registered Member

Sorry to hear that Ryan. Let's all go dump our skimmer cups in there parking lot all at the same time!!!
Old 01/09/2008, 04:47 PM
Zookeeper

Word of mouth is a powerful form of advertising, whether it be good or bad.

Thanks for informing us, and good luck with your legal battle.
Old 01/09/2008, 05:04 PM
Premium Member

I'm sorry to hear that Ryan, no wonder they have so many complaints
Old 01/09/2008, 05:10 PM
GO BEARS!!

I plan on standing out in front of there store soon with nasty signs to "spread the word" You can all drive by and honk at me or throw soda at me.

Ryan
Old 01/09/2008, 05:10 PM
Zoa's ROCK!!!

Good Luck that is really sad, they have to do stupid little things like that just to get $$.
Old 01/09/2008, 05:12 PM
Registered Member

I have a very bad experience with their shop over on cave creek and t-bird. I took my 70 stang to get its c-4 tranny into a c-6. They did honor their price(at first) but I had a time issue with getting it back within 3 days. I already had set up for the engine rebuild with someone that was leaving town for good. I informed them and they told me it would be no problem. I also had them install a b&m shifter, stall convertor and race kit to the tranny. He still said that they would get it done with time to spare. Ofcourse 3 days came and went and they still wasn't done. They told me that I could take it and bring it back since they couldnt find my drive gear with the new shifter. I was allittle pi$$ed off. But as always took it with a grain of salt. Took the car and got the rebuild done. Brought it back and it took another 4 days to get it back and they still didnt have my speedometer hooked up and told me that it would cost another $300 in parts and labor to hook it up. I found that hard to believe due to it was working when I brought it in and the sending unit is the same for both trannies. To make it worse to me is they bold faced lied to me about the drive gear. They said that they put in the wrong letter plate and the gear was always there. Considering I had to drive 26 miles on side roads and it is a slap shifter(No buttons to move shifter just push it forward or back to put in gear). Not to metion the shop that was doing the engine work told me that they hooked it up all wrong. I knew that the gear wasn't hooked up. I talked loudly with the owner and he just wasnt hearing anything I said. I would never go or recommend anyone to any Cottman after that.
Old 01/09/2008, 05:14 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
I plan on standing out in front of there store soon with nasty signs to "spread the word" You can all drive by and honk at me or throw soda at me.
Ryan I will build you some signs and I will stand out there with you that's messed up man.
Old 01/09/2008, 05:20 PM
Registered Member

hmmm...worked for me...used to have tranny fluid changed ther...No more now. Ill either do it myself or find somewhere else to go. Sorry to hear about your dealings...that sucks man!

-JP
Old 01/09/2008, 05:21 PM
Registered Member

I agree 100% with posting the names of bad businesses. Thank you!
Old 01/09/2008, 05:40 PM
Registered Member

hey, this goes out to anoy one on the frag site, i used to be a vw/audi certified mechanic. if any of you have problems with your cars or need routine matainence just hit me up, ill take a look at it or fix it FREE of charge... well...... maybe a beer
Old 01/09/2008, 06:22 PM
Zookeeper

Oh, and I must ask though I know it's off topic. Where can I find the best mozzarella sticks, Ryan? I do love them so.

The ones at Chilis are horrible!
Old 01/09/2008, 06:36 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OceanLyons
Oh, and I must ask though I know it's off topic. Where can I find the best mozzarella sticks, Ryan? I do love them so.

Well thanks....You just gave me that hungry mouth water and I still have to work for another hour..
Old 01/09/2008, 06:46 PM
GO BEARS!!

Quote:
Originally posted by OceanLyons

Sonic has some of the best ones around!

Ryan
Old 01/09/2008, 07:13 PM
Registered Member

Hey Ryan, Your right about those guys. I have been in the bussiness for over 25 yrs. I have been a GM tech most of those years. I see a lot of people getting burned by the Cottmans of the industry. I will say now, to all that is here on this web site, that if you have any questions about your vehicle, I'll try to help. I would even repair the vehicle if i can. I would even take trades for the the repairs. No sex please!!! lol. My other half takes good care in that dept. So advice is free and repairs low cost. Just a few frags...lol

Derek
Old 01/09/2008, 07:15 PM
Registered Member

too bad ill fix it for free
Old 01/09/2008, 07:22 PM
Zookeeper

Good to know we have some mechanics around here. I'm writing both of your names down.

Post in here http://www.azfrag.com/forum/viewtopi...er=asc&start=0

I think of it as our local directory.
Old 01/09/2008, 07:26 PM
Premium Member

Ryan,
I'm so ****ed off just reading this. This is purely and simply legal theft. I'll also happily join you in front of the store to hold up signs. This calculated rip-off needs to be exposed in the media. Contact the local TV stations to see what they might be able to do for you. Does anyone on this forum have any media connections?
Old 01/09/2008, 07:30 PM
Registered Member

Just a note. If you need any Trans advice I would not be opposed to help out as I am in the field.
Phos 0
Cal 460
PH 8.4
SG 1.024
KH 9
Old 01/09/2008, 07:33 PM
Zookeeper

This could be something. http://www.azfamily.com/news/3oys/

Tell them your story, with a link to this thread. They could see that many people have had problems with this company.
Old 01/09/2008, 07:36 PM
Registered Member

Cottman is a nationwide tranny repair shop with Terry Bradshaw as their spokesperson.
Have you tried to file a complaint with their home office? They say they will contact you within 24 hours.
http://www.cottman.com/customer_service.cfm

I've had decent service with them, but that was 10 years ago.
Times change.
Old 01/09/2008, 07:42 PM
][D][][V][][D

Quote:
Originally posted by mr dt
Hey Ryan, Your right about those guys. I have been in the bussiness for over 25 yrs. I have been a GM tech most of those years. I see a lot of people getting burned by the Cottmans of the industry. I will say now, to all that is here on this web site, that if you have any questions about your vehicle, I'll try to help. I would even repair the vehicle if i can. I would even take trades for the the repairs. No sex please!!! lol. My other half takes good care in that dept. So advice is free and repairs low cost. Just a few frags...lol

Derek
Good to know! I am gonna need a good repair shop soon for my 2001 Blazer--it needs some work done soon.
Old 01/09/2008, 09:01 PM
HELP SLOW

Soory to hear. Especially after the insurance thing. Gotta get better my friend.

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE

they paved paradise and put up a parking lot.
Old 01/09/2008, 09:24 PM
][D][][V][][D

Re: OT Word of warning

Quote:
Originally posted by evolust
I consider all of the people here on the Frag forum my friends. I also consider it my duty to inform my friends when someone does me wrong so they steer clear of that person or company. If you had the roof replaced on your house and they did a horrible job as my friend I would expect you to tell me so I would make sure not to use the same company. If you don't agree with my thinking you should probably skip the rest of this post.

I had a work truck that the transmission was slipping. I took it into Cottman transmission in Tempe for their $250 inspection. They removed and inspected the transmission and called me saying it needed a new transmission. They quoted $3K for a new one. The truck was not worth 3K so I said no thanks I will come in and get it. I arrived at the location paid the $250 change was handed my keys but the truck would not start. I went back in and asked why and they said that it did not have my transmission in it anymore. I asked why and they said that their inspection did not include reinstalling the transmission, that was an additional $300. And that they could not even guarantee that it would drive anymore. I'm now going into a legal battle with them. As my friends this is my warning to you steer clear of this shop. I wish I had checked out the BBB website before I went in, they have 8 complaints already. I'm not looking for and consoling on this just don't want to see any of you go thru this.
I had a bad experience with cottman years ago--never went back to them....another chain to avoid is Just Brakes