Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes

Old 01/04/2008, 10:16 AM
Registered Member

Stonogobiops dracula

Live Aquaria has one for $169.00. I can not for the life of me figure out why someone would pay this for this fish. I know that it is rare, but, it looks almost exactly like Stonogobiops nematodes which, IMHO, has prettier markings, is dirt cheap, and is very common.
Old 01/04/2008, 11:14 AM
Registered Member

i have one which i got from my LFS for 100$ a few months back. its an awsome fish and you never see them, i'm surprised LA has two. i've heard of them selling for upwards of 250$
Old 01/04/2008, 12:02 PM
Registered Member

So then the question to you what made you get that one instead of the common similar one? Or do you just like it because it is rare either way I don't care I would just like to know.
Old 01/04/2008, 01:05 PM
Registered Member

well the fact that it was the first time my lfs had gotten one told me that it was pretty rare because they always get their hands on crazy stuff. that got me pretty interested and to tell you the truth there r differences between the two if you look at both side by side. but i would have to say for me it was because i never heard of anyone else owning one. i'm sure they r out there, but not many.
Old 01/04/2008, 06:29 PM
Registered Member

here's a couple pics of my Stonogobiops dracula from today(one with flash one without). Also a link to a pic of Stonogobiops nematodes. IMO the dracula is much better looking.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DN
Old 01/05/2008, 01:14 PM
Registered Member

Do you know which gets bigger? and your's does look better than the other one. Nice pics.
Old 01/05/2008, 02:30 PM
Registered Member

I think they stay relatively close in size. Mine appears to be done growing and he's about 2" long. The bottom picture pretty is close to representing his real size.
Old 01/05/2008, 05:20 PM
Moved On

way cute fish! i've been watching them on divers den for a while
Old 01/05/2008, 06:54 PM
Registered Member

One fish I would pay the money for is your avatar. Nice fish! As far as the gobies go, to each his own. If you like that is all that matters
Old 01/05/2008, 07:35 PM
Registered Member

IMO its too much for that fish but like you said to each your own. I'd be happy with the generic but everyone is different which is good.
Old 01/05/2008, 08:26 PM
Registered Member

dvmsn, do u mean my avatar?? he's my favorite and definitely worth every cent. Its actually kind of funny, i only payed 20$ more for the wrasse than i did for the goby because i bought him as a female because he was still in juvi colors. Guess i got lucky. As far as the goby I guess its one of those things that its cool to have something not a lot of people do. He lives in a 15g in my room all by himself, well except for his pistol shrimp. I thought he would be better there than in my 120g because he wouldn't be harassed by other fish since he is so small. Its pretty cool to watch him in his own space with nothing to bother him.
Old 01/06/2008, 12:00 AM
Registered Member

Yes yours, He turned male w/o a female?
Old 01/06/2008, 11:16 AM
Registered Member

yup within 2 months of me putting him in the tank. it was pretty amazing. theres a thread floating around here somewhere about it with before and after pics. now he's about 4 inches long with bright blue trim on his tail and anal fin, i'm pretty sure that when i get my female he will become a very bright supermale because he's half way there now without a female. i've been waiting a while now though for my lfs to get a female, apparently a healthy one is hard to come by lately.