Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/17/2007, 10:17 PM
Registered Member

lumenmax 3/lumenarc 3 vs reef optix 3 - opinions?

Hi all,
I'm undecided between these reflectors. I have used the reef optix 3 in the past and quite liked them, but I hear that there is better distribution of light from the slightly larger and square design of the lumenarc/lumenmax style reflectors. Anyone have experience with both styles?
Thanks!!
Old 12/18/2007, 12:36 PM
Registered Member

Anybody?
Old 12/18/2007, 01:02 PM
Registered Member

I have the luminarcs and could not be happier. They are big though, however I have my tank built into a wall and have lots of room overhead so their size is not an issue for me.
Old 12/18/2007, 01:11 PM
Registered Member

Somebody tested both fixtures and they are very similiar in performance from what I can recall. I dont think you can go wrong with either. I use the Lumenmax 3 because they are an inch and a half or two inches narrower that the Lumenarc and that small difference allowed me to put a T5 in front and in back of the reflector. Plus the smallest Lumenarc is just the shell itself, with the housing it 3 inches wider I believe. The Lumenarc is less expensive so if you dont need to save a couple of inches, may as well save a few bucks I guess. Performance isnt going to be signifigantly different between the two.

The Reef Optix seem to be well regarded by those using the. I think the spread is a bit wider and more uniform with the larger Lumenarc or Lumenmax with a less intense hot spot. I havent used the Reef Optix but from gathering information when choosing my relfectors, this is what I concluded. I would have loves to save another extra couple of inches with the reef optix over the Lumenmax but I felt that the performance of the Lumenmax was enough to choose them over the Reef Optix saving me 2 more inches. Again, this was just from information that I could find from users opinions and whatever test/comparison data I could find and then just making a choice based on that information. The Lumenmax are really nice reflectors albiet slightly overpriced compared to the Lumenarcs.
Old 12/18/2007, 11:24 PM
Registered Member

Thanks, Brent- how many do you use, what wattage and over what size tank?
DarG, thanks for the comparison- the lumenarc are a little bigger 14"x14" whereas the lumenmax are 11'5"x11. I am leaning towards the lumenmax because they are slightly smaller and I want to use t5 supplementation, they ARE more expensive, though..I've used the reef optix and was very happy but my new tank will be 40 inches back to front so I want to have as much spread as possible and I assume the lumenmax will give a wider spread than the reef optix
Thanks for your imput, guys
Old 12/19/2007, 12:28 PM
Registered Member

The Lumenmax does have a wider spread than the Reef Optix. With the Lumenmax I was just able to get a T5 and Icecap reflector in front and back of the Lumenmax over my 18" wide 90 gallon. Thats why I chose them over Lumenarc, I had to have that extra few inches. If you have 40" front to back, seems like you should be able to run the Lumenarc and still use T5's no problem. I would probably even use the larger Lumenarc, 19.5" x 19.5". But I'm not sure if they have a double ended version on the larger Lumenarc reflectors.

Either way, you'll be fine with the addition of the T5's.
Old 12/19/2007, 01:58 PM
Premium Member

Remember that the original Lumenmax is 22.5" x 22.5" and slightly outperforms the full sized Lumenarc III. This might be your best option. The original Lumenmax excels at lighting a 36" x 36" area. The Lumenmax 2 (comparible to Lumenarc Mini) and Lumenmax 3 (comparible to the Lumenarc Stealth) are the smaller pendant style reflector.

SPS = Stability Promotes Success

Be wary of advice coming from those who will not show you the fruits of their success!

Last edited by gcarroll; 12/19/2007 at 02:07 PM.
Old 12/19/2007, 08:39 PM
Registered Member

DarG- the larger lumenarc (19.5x19.5) is for mogul and I plan to use DE bulbs. I guess as you and gcarrol suggest, the larger the reflector the better the spread of light. So the lumenarc stealth at 14.5x14.5 (since the 22.5x22.5 lumenmax is also mogul-as is the lumenarc mini) makes more sense than the 11x11.5 lumenmax.
I am planning to have aquascaping no higher than12-15 inches on a 30 in high tank so I can only assume that I will get pretty good spread from a 14.5x14.5 reflector..I will also be running 6x 85w t5..
That pretty much settles it..Thanks guys
..now I just have to wait until they are NOT out of stock...
Old 12/19/2007, 08:52 PM
Registered Member

Despite the size difference between the two smaller DE reflectors, the one comparison on this site found very small differences with the edge slightly going to the Lumenmax despite it being a little smaller. I can't say how accurate the test results were but they seemed very credible from the description. Bottom line was that it was not a very signifigant advantage. So, I would choose the Lumenarc based on price with it being a little less expensive. Bigger is generally better for spread but in this case it seems that slight design differences make up for slight size differences. Either way, it's a good choice.
Old 12/19/2007, 09:08 PM
Registered Member

very interesting..
maybe the dimpled reflector parts play a role in maximizing the spread from a smaller reflector
thanks
Old 12/19/2007, 11:59 PM
Registered Member

I've had Reef Optix III's on my display tank for ~6 years now. The only drawback I've found is that contrary to how they're advertised, they do rust over time. One of mine is worse than the other, but not to the point of needing to be replaced yet. I know they're touted as electrogalvenized, rustproof steel, but mine have rusted. They're 250 watt DEs on Ice Cap ballasts. Bought the package from Ocean Encounter if I recall.
Old 12/20/2007, 09:39 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tennsquire
I've had Reef Optix III's on my display tank for ~6 years now. The only drawback I've found is that contrary to how they're advertised, they do rust over time. One of mine is worse than the other, but not to the point of needing to be replaced yet. I know they're touted as electrogalvenized, rustproof steel, but mine have rusted. They're 250 watt DEs on Ice Cap ballasts. Bought the package from Ocean Encounter if I recall.
You're talking about the outer shell, right? I'll have to watch my Lumenmax 3's I guess. I've had them about 6 months I think so no issues yet but I guess I'll have to keep an eye on them over time. Do your get any direct salt spray? Or is it just the salty humidity that got them over time? Any thoughts on sanding the rust and painting with and outdoor laquer or something?
Old 12/20/2007, 11:52 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DarG
You're talking about the outer shell, right? I'll have to watch my Lumenmax 3's I guess. I've had them about 6 months I think so no issues yet but I guess I'll have to keep an eye on them over time. Do your get any direct salt spray? Or is it just the salty humidity that got them over time? Any thoughts on sanding the rust and painting with and outdoor laquer or something?
Yeah, the metal housing on mine has rusted. They're in a canopy, maybe 6 inches off the water. It's open in the back, and I run a fan when the halides are on, but it gets pretty humid in the canopy nonetheless. I need to get around to sanding and sealing them somehow. Don't know about laquer, as they get pretty hot. I'm pleased with the lights overall.
Old 12/20/2007, 12:24 PM
Registered Member

You can use a high temp. paint like barbeque paint or engine paint (which I think is a high temp laquer).

Mine probably wont rust then. Mine are on an open frame, not enclosed in a canopy.

Thanks.
Old 12/20/2007, 12:42 PM
Premium Member

The shell on the ReefOptix 3 was made of steel. Mine did have rust, bubling under the paint, after 3 years even though installed in an open frame. It did not effect performance at all though.

The shell on the Lumenmax 3 is all alluminum. It will not rust.

SPS = Stability Promotes Success

Be wary of advice coming from those who will not show you the fruits of their success!