Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/09/2005, 07:45 PM
Registered Member

New Pairs in New Home

I just introduced 2 tiny GoldStripe Maroons & 2 Black & White Perculas (I know they are (Amphiprion ocellaris var.) into my 15G Via Aqua Tank. They are very happy together & even go into there RBTA all together at times. They also have a Green/Blue Reef Chromis to keep them happy.

Old 06/09/2005, 07:53 PM
Registered Member

youre asking for trouble, Im not one to speak on not having diff species clowns in the same tank but I dont have maroons either
Old 06/09/2005, 08:49 PM
Premium Member

I agree with Showjet, especially in a tank that size. Sooner rather than later your going to have to make some changes. In the meantime though, enjoy your beautifull young fish!
Old 06/09/2005, 09:00 PM
Premium Member

They sure are cute buggers, and ditto on what the other two guys said.
Old 06/09/2005, 09:25 PM
Offical aiptasia farmer

i had a large marron about 4.5" in a 75 and later added a 2 small 1" red and black clowns to the tank and the marron didnt mind them.

it depends on the fishes temperment, but since you added them all at the same time you should be able to keep them together.(if the marrons pair off you WILL have to move them)
Old 06/09/2005, 09:37 PM
Clownfish Enthusiast

I agree with all above, but if one maroon decides it going to be THE female, watch out and watch out fast, she will kill em all! especially in a 15g
Old 06/09/2005, 10:22 PM
Registered Member

i agree in a tank that small i would upgrade if you want to keeps the pairs happy..
Old 06/09/2005, 10:47 PM
Registered Member

At the size they are, they probably won't pair off for a good year or so or an i wrong?
Old 06/09/2005, 10:58 PM
RC Mod

I would expect at least one specimen to put on a growth spurt now and could be double in size within 120 days. Trouble will likely surface quite a bit sooner.

IME, the Ocellaris are appropriate for a 15g, the maroons are not.

Good luck.
Old 06/09/2005, 10:58 PM
Gold Star Recipient

Quote:
Originally posted by GaD
At the size they are, they probably won't pair off for a good year or so or an i wrong?

No...my true percs took less than a week to pair off.
I agree with what the other guys say. And honestly if it was me I would take the maroons back to the fish store (unless you have another setup already for them) and keep the two black ocellaris clowns. The ocellaris stay much smaller and are MUCH less aggressive. The maroons have the potential to seriously harrass or even kill the less aggressive ocellaris in the very near future. It's a risk I definitely would not want to take...but that's just me...
Old 06/10/2005, 03:48 PM
Registered Member

Looks good man, I was thinking about mixing some clowns also but in a bit bigger tank. I have a mated pair of gold stripe maroons now.
Old 06/10/2005, 08:24 PM
Registered Member

I tried once with a apair of perc's and sebea....Too bad had to put the sebea into another tank cause they paired up quick and started to harass my perc's...
Old 06/12/2005, 11:16 AM
Registered Member

I used to have 3 ocellaris clowns in a 60g tank back in the early 90's. When a friend of mine enlisted in the air force he sold me his 45g setup real cheap. He had some good live rock as well as a bumble bee lion and a gold stripe maroon clown. I thought I would put his rock and fish in my tank and hold on to the tank for a spare, etc. I re-arranged the rock in my tank and introduced the new fish in the dark. The next morning the 3 ocellaris clowns had forced the GSM into one corner of the tank and wouldnt let him leave. So much for my plans of consolidation, I had to set the 45g tank up in our basement and keep the little guy by himself.

I'm thinking that if the clowns are introduced at the same time in a large enough tank they should be able to tolerate each other. When my 535g tank is up and running I think I am going to try to mix them up again, the pair of GSM's from my current 150 which will be broken down, and a new pair of true percs.
Old 06/13/2005, 07:45 AM
Registered Member

I would not trust those clowns mixed for a minute. Baby maroons would kick the crap out of eachother in the egg if they could. It was a nice idea, but for the sake of the clowns I suggest removing the maroons. ON an off the beaten path note you could keep one maroon and one black ocellaris to pair up, but you would need to be thinking ahead and be ready to buy a bigger tank if the maroon goes female.
Old 06/13/2005, 07:46 AM
Registered Member

A best mixed pair senario would be the black ocellaris as female and the maroon as the male as it would lower agression and maroons are the best fathers of any clownfish.
Old 06/13/2005, 10:12 AM
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by Atticus
.....and maroons are the best fathers of any clownfish.
Maybe a function of the female maroon's encouragement?