Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/02/2006, 08:55 PM
Memium Prember

Question about a possible regal purchase...

There is an LFS near me with a 4" regal. It is the blue belly variety. My understanding was that the yellow belly kind (from the Red Sea area?) tend to be more hardy. Anyway, the LFS is one I trust. They said that they had five in that were all in great shape and have sold four already. This last one has been in their shop for three weeks and looks great. Not skinny at all - nice and thick bodied, not shy either. And it ate some flake food (I think it was ON Forumla Two flakes but not sure) right there while I watched. Price is $79. Seems like a good opportunity to pick up a healthy fish as far as I can tell. How does it sound to you guys?
Old 09/02/2006, 09:44 PM
Fiddles With Reef

A 4" Red Sea Angel that has been in a shop for 3 weeks and is not skinny and is eating flake for $79 is a killer buy. Get it immediately.

340g In-Wall Envision Tank and 150g Sump (fuge and grow-out).
Old 09/02/2006, 09:47 PM
Memium Prember

Actually I do not think it is a red sea. I think it's the other kind since it has a blue belly...
Old 09/02/2006, 10:22 PM
Xenia Farmer

I have just seen a regal near my lfs for $90. It is also not a Red Sea and eating flake. Do you guys think this animal will be well for a while or should I just wait for a Red Sea one? This animal has been in my fish store for two weeks.
Old 09/02/2006, 11:07 PM
Registered Member

Yes, the blue belly ones are not from the red sea...

That is why they are in the fish store for 2 weeks...

Old 09/02/2006, 11:08 PM
Registered Member

RDMPE,
that sure sounds like a good buy and if he is already crunching flakes it would appear he is already acclimated well. The only real risk would be if he was cyanide caught and that did him in later down the road, but assuming he is not, I would think that would be a good buy. I would chance it myself for what its worth.

Plenty of the "good" Red Sea ones expire because they will not eat so if you can get one already eating and flake at that I think I would go for it....
Old 09/03/2006, 01:15 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rdmpe
Question about a possible regal purchase...

There is an LFS near me with a 4" regal. It is the blue belly variety. My understanding was that the yellow belly kind (from the Red Sea area?) tend to be more hardy. Anyway, the LFS is one I trust. They said that they had five in that were all in great shape and have sold four already. This last one has been in their shop for three weeks and looks great. Not skinny at all - nice and thick bodied, not shy either. And it ate some flake food (I think it was ON Forumla Two flakes but not sure) right there while I watched. Price is $79. Seems like a good opportunity to pick up a healthy fish as far as I can tell. How does it sound to you guys?
Remeber the indopacific ones are less reef safe.
Old 09/03/2006, 08:02 AM
More than meets the eye

I would chance it as well. However I'd ask them to hold it for an other two weeks. This way you can watch it eat a few more times. If your LFS is cool, you can try to place a few corals in the tank to see his reaction.
Old 09/03/2006, 09:29 AM
Memium Prember

Well, I'd have to have them move it to a qt tank or something. They use meds in their fish system and most likely something copper based. So can't test any corals in there. I would hate to add him and have him eat all my softies/lps although at this point I don't have much yet...

I just won an aquapod 24 in a LFS raffle. Will be picking it up next weekend I hope. So I could use that to QT the RA for a little while and try some different corals in there... At least some zoas, torch, xenia, anthelia I have right now that I could move into qt with the RA...
Old 09/03/2006, 01:08 PM
Registered Member

If it were me I would just pass and get a redsea. they are not the hardest fish to come by and I am sure they can order one for you.
Old 09/03/2006, 04:43 PM
More than meets the eye

Quote:
Originally posted by rdmpe
I would hate to add him and have him eat all my softies/lps although at this point I don't have much yet...

Thats what they would eat if any corals.
Old 09/03/2006, 05:05 PM
Premium Member

What kind of cleaners do you have? I wonder if there is a difference in the tank raised and wild caught when it comes to them doing their "jobs".

-Alfred

Quote:
Originally posted by christinaekenn
Thanks for your suggestion. I have a pair of cleaners and they do not clean very much, if at all. Anyone else know of a regal safe med to use to treat his fin rot?
Old 09/03/2006, 08:43 PM
Registered Member

Cleaner shrimp are NOT the answer for curing fish of parasitic infections in the aquarium, even if they go through the cleaning ritual, and they're absoluteley of no use for bacterial infections or the "fin rot" problem that is under discussion here.
Old 09/05/2006, 11:57 PM
Registered Member

Does anyone have 2 Regals in their system?
Old 09/06/2006, 06:53 AM
angelfish nut!

Tremelle, I've had a trio together for about a year and a half. I've commented all the way back to page 2 of the original regal thread... Also, a guy I met at MACNA last year has a spawning pair with video on his site here...

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

What is recommended to the novice and what experienced reefers do are two different things.
Old 09/06/2006, 06:58 AM
Premium Member

I've got two. Second one is only about 2".
Old 09/06/2006, 07:01 AM
Premium Member

I have two.

Have others with multiple regals seen disparity in their growth rates? The larger male grows faster than the smaller female. I wonder if it is personality, just different growth at different ages, or stress.
Old 09/06/2006, 01:05 PM
Registered Member

GSchiemer, those were my thoughts too. Any suggestions?

Christina
Old 09/07/2006, 12:45 AM
Premium Member

just wanted to update, took this picture today. Aint she beautiful?

it's been about 10months now.
Old 09/09/2006, 09:20 PM
More than meets the eye

Quote:
Originally posted by NexDog
Haven't seen the little Regal since the last time.

Holding out hope though as it alot of places to hide.
Any luck dog?
Old 09/10/2006, 10:24 AM
Registered Member

Here is the latest with my Regal now fending off all comers from his formula one....

Old 09/11/2006, 10:13 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bskiba
Remeber the indopacific ones are less reef safe.

I have an IndoPacific Regal and he is relatively reef safe. He will devour fleshy corals, like scolymia and brian corals and will bother some zoa's, but I have some zoa's and palys that seem to do fine with the Regal. Just keep him well fed to try and thwart any possible coral feeding fest.
Old 09/11/2006, 03:47 PM
Registered Member

Regal in Battle

Managed to get this picture of my Regal squaring off with my large Clarki. Notice the healing tail from one of his previous battles. These two have been disputing who is 3rd in charge for some time and don't look like resolving the issue any time soon. Second in charge can be seen observing the action, but did not get involved.

Steve
Old 09/13/2006, 12:28 PM
Fiddles With Reef

Quote:
Originally posted by pito
Any luck dog?
Nopes. Just been away for 8 days (went to Spain for a friend's wedding) and it wasn't seen and I haven't seen it since I've been back.

340g In-Wall Envision Tank and 150g Sump (fuge and grow-out).
Old 09/13/2006, 02:43 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NexDog
Nopes. Just been away for 8 days (went to Spain for a friend's wedding) and it wasn't seen and I haven't seen it since I've been back.
I'm not posting to say "I told you so" but to repeat what I said earlier about these tiny Regal Angelfish. Hopefully it will prevent someone else from making the same mistake.

These fish have a small mouth and a high metabolism and can starve to death in a relatively short period of time. They RARELY do well in captivity, even Red Sea/Indian Ocean specimens. They're difficult enough to keep but border on impossible when you throw them into a community of fish that includes other existing angelfish. I know they're "cute" but they are best not purchased.

Greg