Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/18/2005, 02:35 PM
Registered Member

Circulation Recommendation

I'm in the process of moving my tank and am going to go migrate to using a sump. My tank is a 40 breeder with a 3/4 inch bulkhead already drilled (yes I showed some forsight).

I'm thinking that I'd like to use a 20 gal tank as the sump to house a return pump, skimmer, and heater. The tank now holds promarilyu zoos, softies, rics and lots and lots of shrooms. Tank is lit by 3 - 96watt PC's if anyone is interested.

I was thinking of using a 1/2 inch Sear Swirl on the return with a Mag5 in the sump. Does this sound too weak? Would I be better off going with a mag7 and splitting it off into 2 Sea Swirls of the 1/2 inch variety?

My goal is to be able to experiment with some less needy stonies should I become inclined. I'm not looking to break the bank but want to at least make a decision that leaves some optionsopen with regard to flow.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 04/18/2005, 03:14 PM
Registered Member

I use a Mag5 for my 40breeder with a 18g rubbermaid sump. I tried a Mag7 & went back to the 5. The mag7 now powers my closed loop.

Neither provide sufficient current for the entire tank as a return pump. They'll need to be supplemented with either a closed loop or powerheads IMO.
Old 04/18/2005, 03:26 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the info Pike.

I can't run a closed system at this time but would prefer to keep almost all the clutter out of the tank. Ideally I'd like the only items in there to be the nozzles from a pair of Sea Swirls. Does that sould realistic?

I have a red sea wavemaker and 4 powerheads now. I dislike how they detract from the natural look of the reef. Maybe I need to step up to a drilled sump and a larger exterior return pump? Pair of 3/4 Sea Swirls?

Assuming that the closed system is not an option, what would be your dream circulation setup for that side of tank?
Old 04/18/2005, 03:46 PM
Registered Member

I'm no fan of clutter myself. I just don't have the means to avoid it atm

If I could not have a closed loop, I guess my best bet would be 2 "stream" (tunze) pumps concealed in the rocks on a wavemaker controller. that is some serious money though.

A mag7 is only going to supply around 400 gph at 5' of head pressure. A mag5 only about 250. If you split your return, the flow per oulet would be less than half due to the restrictions from additional plumbing. Even with the moving dispersal from a seaswirl, I just don't think that will cut it.

I'd read up on closed loops some more. Anthony Calfo's forum is a great place to start. In addition, check out melev's & lunchbucket's set ups. They are very elegant.