Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/13/2005, 06:40 PM
Premium Member

T5 question for 40g breeder SPS/Clam tank

I have an extra 40g breeder tank that I want to turn into an SPS/Clam tank. THe dimensions are (36L x 18w x 16h). I am thinking about one of the Tek-5 fixtures but am unsure how many lights I will need. Of course the 4 light fixture is the cheapest, but will it suffice?

Also, I plan on having no fish in this tank. Do I still need a large skimmer or will my Remora work fine for this? I plan on having about a 20g sump.

I like the idea of t-5's in this tank as opposed to MH. I am looking to use as little electricity as possible as my 180g tank is using quite a bit!!

Thanks
Ray Nist
Old 12/13/2005, 07:12 PM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

I'd be inclined to go with the 6 lamp unit because of the 18" width. I think a Remora will be fine if you arent doing any fish.
Old 12/14/2005, 01:08 AM
Premium Member

What T-5 bulbs are planning on running ?

A pair of 11K Aquablue plus and a pair of Actinic/blue plus will grow any clam you like in a 16" deep tank.

That's the light I'm using on this 20" deep tank and this guy has grown nearly an inch of new shell in 6 months.

Last edited by Reefvet; 12/14/2005 at 01:46 AM.
Old 12/14/2005, 07:31 AM
Premium Member

Those were the lights I was going to use. SO you think the 4 bulb light would work?
Old 12/14/2005, 11:02 AM
Premium Member

Here is another thing to consider. There is a possibility in the future that I would move to a 75g tank. If I bought one of the 3ft fixtures, would that work on a 75? Even though the 3ft and 4ft (6 light fixures) are the same price, I think the 4ft fixture would look bad on a 3ft tank right now.

Reefvet, what are the dimensions of the tank you have the 3ft - 4 light fixture on?

--Ray
Old 12/14/2005, 11:47 AM

"Three Foot" T5's are actually only like 34.5 inches long so you would probably notice the ends of the tank being a little darker than the rest, fully usable on a 4 foot tank as long as you dont mind the look.
Old 12/14/2005, 03:40 PM
Premium Member

Yes, I think the 4 would do a great job and the 6 has the potential to be way more than you need.

Quote:

Reefvet, what are the dimensions of the tank you have the 3ft - 4 light fixture on?
I'm running mine on an Oceanic 58, which is 20" deep . I can grow anything I like in it, light demanding SPS are mid to upper tank level and clams are doing great on the sand bed.

Yes the bulbs are 34 inches long, but the light is not directional and there is no noticeable fall off at the ends. I think a 48" fixture would be like wearing a sweater that's about 3 sizes too big, you look a bit silly. If you went to a larger tank and wanted to sell the 3' Tek light you'd have no trouble getting a very good price for it here on RC, it's not like you'd be stuck with it.
Old 12/14/2005, 04:09 PM
Premium Member

I have been looking at Specialtylights.com

Does anyone know of a cheaper place to buy these?

What bulb config would you recommend in the 4 or 6 bulb fixture. I was thinking the 11k and then some blue or actinic.

I wonder if I go with the 4 bulb 3ft if that would be enough if I moved up to a 75g later. Decisions, decisions......

Thanks
Ray
Old 12/14/2005, 05:28 PM

I will give you my reason why I think 6 lamps would be better and let others offer their opinions.

You have a fairly short tank (16" tall) but deep (18" front to back). A 4 lamp tek hood will concentrate the light in an area approximatly 9" front to back. I don't believe you will have enough light spread to provide good light to the front and rear of the tank unless you mount the unit several inches above the tank. If this was a mixed reef I would say go four lamps but for SPS/clams I'd go for the extra lights.

www.reefgeek.com usually has great prices on Tek lights
Old 12/14/2005, 05:32 PM
Premium Member

Yeah, probably better to go for more, I would hate to have buyers remorse!

Thanks for the link, their prices are substantially lower than the site I was looking at!

--ray
Old 12/14/2005, 05:35 PM
Premium Member

Oops, cheaper because the do not include bulbs.

What bulb config would you recommed with a 6 bulb system?

--ray
Old 12/14/2005, 06:10 PM

Either 50/50 aquablue blueplus or 3 blueplus, 1 ge and 2 aquablues.

Reefgeek offers 3 free GE lamps. You could use 2 GE's and 4 bluepluses and keep the other GE for a spare. I know 1 guy that runs a 2 to 1 Blueplus GE mix and says it looks nice although I have never seen it. If it was me I would probably go with the 50/50 mix of Aquablue/Actinicplus (or blueplus, not sure what they are selling these days) because it will look brighter.
Old 12/14/2005, 07:14 PM
Premium Member

I just purchased replacement bulbs from Reefgeek. They are now listed as Gysman (sp), not ATI.

raynist I like to have at least one of each bulb when possible. I would start with this combo front to back if I were you.

Actinic/blue
GEday
Actinic/blue
GEday
Attic blue
Old 12/14/2005, 07:26 PM

Giesmann and D&D are the same lamps. I have some of those here. ATI may be the odd man out on the lamps now. That was reported by someone in another thread.
Old 12/14/2005, 08:26 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Yeah, probably better to go for more, I would hate to have buyers remorse!
Yes, it's the American way, more is better.

Because if you only used 4 bulbs you might only end up with a tank that looks like this. That would be some remorse now wouldn't it.

20" deep tank w/ 1 11K, 2 blue plus and 1 actinic, all D&D bulbs.

Old 12/14/2005, 09:02 PM

Vet, you seem a little insulted that I disagree with you. You have a very nice tank but remember that He is doing nothing but SPS and clams. I suggest the extra lamps not for more intensity at the bottom, just to make sure he has even intensity across the whole tank. I assume he will want clams on the sand and corals on the rocks. The light intensity falls off pretty fast on the outside of the reflectors.
Old 12/14/2005, 09:45 PM
Yeah, it does say Horkn

grim, you know that pic is not reefvets tank, thats rjwilson37's
Old 12/14/2005, 09:59 PM

HA HA HA! Thought it looked familiar.
Old 12/14/2005, 10:33 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
Vet, you seem a little insulted that I disagree with you. You have a very nice tank but remember that He is doing nothing but SPS and clams.
I'm not insulted, that wasn't my point.

Opinions are a dime a dozen here on RC. You have yours and I have mine.

The tanks isn't mine, it was tank of the month in August on ultimatereef.net.
Old 12/14/2005, 10:52 PM
Premium Member

You need to use the smile face, reefvet, then we know your poking fun at Grim's word choice VS his point.
Get with the forum-communication-way!!!!

Old 12/14/2005, 11:08 PM
Premium Member

There, is that a little less grim ?
Old 12/14/2005, 11:18 PM

There is never less Grim

)You'd have to meet me once to understand that)
Old 12/15/2005, 12:02 AM
Premium Member

I thought the "semi-pro-couch potato" explained that....

;p
Old 12/15/2005, 10:15 AM
Premium Member

Here is the light I am going to purchase:
http://www.specialty-lights.com/960040.html

There are several bulb choices that come along with this package and they are listed on the right hand side of this link, can someone help me out as to wich would be best?? I plan on ordering this by lunchtime today. Oh, and I am going to just go with a 75g from the start, otherwise I will want to upgrade after a couple months....

I am looking for good growth and great coloration!

Thanks
Ray
Old 12/15/2005, 11:48 AM
Premium Member

The choices are pretty strange.
On the bottom they have this list of bulbs... I put a number infront of the list to represent what I would get. Perhaps you can call them and see if they can do this for you. Then purchace 2 extra GE (good to have a replacement bulb if one goes out)
54W 6500 K GE Starcoat T5 Fluorescent
54W 6500K Midday German-Made full spectrum bulb
4 54W Actinic Plus 40% Actinic/60% White peaks at 450 nm
2 54W Aquablue Plus 11,000K 60%White/40% Actinic
54W Pure Actinic - Peaks at about 420 nm

Then actually run:
2 54W 6500 K GE Starcoat T5 Fluorescent

3 54W Actinic Plus 40% Actinic/60% White peaks at 450 nm
1 54W Aquablue Plus 11,000K 60%White/40% Actinic