Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/25/2005, 05:42 PM
Registered Member

Found Mantis Shrimp, anyone want it??

Hello, I just came back from one of the lfs and i bought a nice boulder covered with different colored zoos, i floated it for about an hour while i worked on my pc and i took the rock out and placed it right in the center of my nano. As im looking at it i noticed these little starfish that are miniscule but i have seen them labeled as pests, but no biggie about those since i have 2 pairs of harlequin shrimp in that same tank. As i look around i saw two little antenna's and eyes come out of a hole, and i freaked, thank god i had the bag still full of water where the piece came in and i tapped on the glass to scare him and go back in and i took the rock out quickly. So yeah hes definetly a mantis, and i really dont want to flush him. I know some peeps like them so if anyone around the Miami, Fl. area wants him you can pick him up, or ill take him to u w/e. i just dont want to kill him. he only peeked out a bit and i know his face area is black but i believe he has some green on him too.
Old 07/25/2005, 05:50 PM
Registered Member

Ohh heres the other question, any easy ways to get him out without him splitting my thumb or having to impale him with a coat hanger (someone suggested that).
Old 07/25/2005, 06:10 PM
Mantisfreak

Most hitchhiking mantis are not going to break your tank, split your thumb, etc. The few species that can do that are purposely trapped and then sold.

You might want to post in the mantis forum as well. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/fo...?s=&forumid=37

Some people have had success suspending the rock over a bucket of saltwater. When the mantis comes out of the rock to look for water, you just shake it into the saltwater.
Old 07/25/2005, 06:13 PM
Registered Member

will do
Old 07/25/2005, 07:34 PM
Registered Member

Since you don't want to leave your zoas out of water too long, and hanging the rock over a bucket might take a while to get the bugger out, try squirting ro water into the holes with a turkey baster to encourage him to come out. That's how we got two of ours out of their rocks.
Old 07/25/2005, 07:42 PM
Registered Member

Use cold fresh water to flush him.

- Stanley J. Gardiner
Old 07/25/2005, 07:45 PM
Registered Member

kill the little bugger. bad things die in my tank. found 2 mantis dead 2 monster crabs dead everything else stays alive except for stupid zebra striped hermits
Old 07/25/2005, 07:49 PM
Art and science

If you get him out I'll take him
Old 07/25/2005, 08:21 PM
Registered Member

best way like they say is to put the rock into a bucket, then quickly squirt fresh RO water all over the rock, the mantis will come out quickly, then put the rock back into the tank.

If you want the mantis, get it out of the RO water and into another tank!
Old 07/26/2005, 01:02 PM
Registered Member

Thanks guys that worked out awesome. I got a syringe and i took the rock out and placed it right above a tank i set up with saltwater to keep him there for a day or 2 until i give it to someone. I placed the rock on some eggcrate sitting on the tank as a half lid with his hole facing towards the water. I sprayed water in his hole and the second time i did it he jumped out. and after him went a baby crab. Hes about an inch long and he is completely black. Nice one, but can't have him.
Old 07/26/2005, 01:05 PM
Registered Member

I dont mind shipping him but i would preffer not to, i have never done so and this week i have only a little bit of time in my hands. Anyone around miami that wants him please message me through RC.
Old 07/26/2005, 01:29 PM
Registered Member

i live in miami, will take him off your hands.