Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Photography
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/12/2006, 12:12 AM
Registered Member

Fuji S5200

Anybody like this camera? SLRs are just too much for me, both in price and functions. I heard some good things about the Fuji S5200 and wonder if anyone is using it? Does it take decent shots of your tank inhabitants?

Thanks.
Old 05/12/2006, 07:19 AM
Eternally Discombobulated

How much you want to spend? If you can, I *highly* suggest going up to the Fuji FinePix S9000 instead.....if you can.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 05/12/2006, 09:17 AM
Registered Member

Why? Does it do better in macro mode? How much more is it and do you know of a good place to get it on line? Thanks so much for the advice.
Old 05/12/2006, 10:36 AM
My Life for Aiur!

I have a Fuji FinePix S5100. If I had to spend the money all over again, I would have never gotten it. It's great for general picture taking. In fact it's VERY good for that. But things that take precision to get the right focusing and lighting, it is extremely poor. For example, I can't get it to focus very well on anything in the tank. And if I can get it focused, it's definitely not very close up. I would recommend getting something with a manual focusing lense (whatever it's called) like a Nikon ##D (insert number here. IE 20D, 70D, etc)
Old 05/13/2006, 01:27 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Travis L. Stevens
I have a Fuji FinePix S5100. If I had to spend the money all over again, I would have never gotten it. It's great for general picture taking. In fact it's VERY good for that. But things that take precision to get the right focusing and lighting, it is extremely poor. For example, I can't get it to focus very well on anything in the tank. And if I can get it focused, it's definitely not very close up. I would recommend getting something with a manual focusing lense (whatever it's called) like a Nikon ##D (insert number here. IE 20D, 70D, etc)
EVERY camera system, however simple or complex will have it's limitations. With the S5100 you might find you get better tank shots if you utilize the relatively short minimum focus distance of their optical zoom lens, even play with the flash a bit, don't shoot straight on... you can use a flashlight to help the AF sometimes.
Old 05/13/2006, 01:31 AM
Premium Member

... course all of that being said, nothing is going to image better that a (d)slr and the right lens/lighting combination.
Old 05/13/2006, 03:14 AM
Ocean Freak

Quote:
Originally posted by astrogazer
EVERY camera system, however simple or complex will have it's limitations. With the S5100 you might find you get better tank shots if you utilize the relatively short minimum focus distance of their optical zoom lens, even play with the flash a bit, don't shoot straight on... you can use a flashlight to help the AF sometimes.
I have a S5200 and I love it. At first I was mad because I couln't take close up picture and most time macro shot came out out of focu. But I deside to read the manual that come with it and call a friend who is a photographer. I show me how to program the manual focus. ANd it is the best thing I ever had. I can focus everything with it just pressing 2 buttoms at the same time.

Also like astrogazer you have to play with the flash and the angle, the ISP and having some extra light if necesary.

Here are some pictures. I took them at night, at 10" from of distance and just a 60w light on the room.

this picture was taken in 3.2, not at the best quality that the camera can take.
without water" - Sylvia A. Farle, Project Director
Sustainable Seas Expedition

Kenny
Old 05/13/2006, 11:04 AM
Premium Member

I think those results speak for themselves ... nicely done.
Old 05/13/2006, 08:06 PM
Eternally Discombobulated

Here's a side-by-side comparison of the Fuji S5100, S5200, and S9000. Like I said, it depends on your budget, but if you have the $500 (there's a mail-in rebate with B&H Photo right now....so you can get their package for $600 but get a $100 rebate: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation ) then it might be best to go with the newest model (the S9000). Just my $.02 so please do your own research to settle on what you really want.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp...9000z&show=all

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 05/14/2006, 01:17 PM
Registered Member

Well, you guys have really got me thinking. I know I am limited by my experience, which is practically nil, with digital cameras. On the other hand, I know I'm not going to happy with not being able to get good shots of my tank. So I went to Circuit City and guess what, I like the Canon Rebel XT the best because of its lightness and size. Since I have little hands and am little it kind of seems to fit me better. Also the S5200 seems as big as the other digital SLRs by looking at the pictures.

So another question. Would an inexperienced person be better off starting with a great camera like the XT or should I gain more experience on a simpler camera first? I guess it is an investment, so price is not the biggest factor for me, although I cannot afford a nice lens right now.

Thanks if anyone can get through this long post!
Old 05/14/2006, 03:04 PM
Registered Member

Let me put my .02 in--

Over the years I have purchased Minolta 7Hi (back in those days were like $800), Sony, Canon S1, S2, Casio--the point is the point and shoot I was just not satified with. In January I decided to get the Nikon D50 (mostly due to the price and it's capable to grow with) with the 18-55mm Kit lens and right out of the box I was able to get better result in auto mode than all the point and shoot cameras I put my effort into. Since then I have added a flash, a Nikon 50mm f/1.8 and the 18-200mm vr lens. Still not satifiy with the macro shots and in the process of getting a macro lens.

The point I'm trying to get across is that you can grow at your pace with the dslr and when your budget allows you and there's not much to grow in terms of point and shoot but bottom line is your budget. After seeing your remark on the Canon Rebel the budget may be inline then I suggest you seriously consider that. Brands n terms of Canon, Nikon, Konica/Minolta is not as important as each brand have there followers and have said Canon is too small but you felt it was comfortable and that's the important thing.

HTH

FA
Old 05/14/2006, 03:07 PM
Registered Member

Sorry for so many typo.
Old 05/14/2006, 03:08 PM
Registered Member

kenny77--those are great shots.