Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/23/2002, 08:01 AM
Moved On

Meter Specs

I think I all ready know the answer but want to make sure. I am checking out a Conductivity and TDS meter (Combo). The Condutivity measures 0 to 3999 uS/cm and the TDS range is 0 to 2000 ppm. Can I measure salinity with this meter? I think salinity is 53 mS????

Thanks as always Randy!

Brad
Old 08/23/2002, 01:07 PM
Reef Chemist

You're right that the conductivity of natural seawater is about 53 mS/cm, or 53,000 uS/cm so that one won't work for tank salinity.
Old 08/23/2002, 01:10 PM
Moved On

Thanks Randy. Then is that range for Conductivity good for anything in a reef tank?

Most of the meters I have looked at are that range (Hach. Lamonte, Hanna) except the VERY expense ones.
Old 08/23/2002, 02:28 PM
Reef Chemist

Yes, it is good for measuring the purity of fresh water (down in the few uS/cm range).

It is just a tad short of being suitable for measuring the saturation of limewater (about 9-10 mS/cm).

If you already have the meter and want to make use of it, you can dilute the tank water with RO/DI water by a factor of about 20 and then see what conductivity you have. We'd have to compare that to diluted seawater.

I don't have at hand the conductivity of seawater diluted that much, but we can do it as an experiment (though it will have to wait if I'm the one to do it as my conductivity probe resides at work ).

I do know that diluting seawater by a factor of 8 gives a reduction in the conductivity by a factor of about 6.7. So you cannot just do simple corrections. That's because the ions tend to be more free to move around when diluted.

FWIW, probes like the Pinpoint are not very expensive and do cover the range of interest (aroubnd 53 mS/cm). I agree that it is mostly the more expensive ones that cover both the 0-20 uS/cm range for freshwater and 53 mS/cm range for reef tank water.
Old 08/26/2002, 08:20 AM
Moved On

Thanks Randy. I do have the Pinpoint Salinity Meter. Can I use it to measure TDS coming out of TAP and RO/DI unit?
Old 08/26/2002, 03:39 PM
Reef Chemist

I expect so. What is it's range?
Old 08/26/2002, 03:42 PM
Moved On

0 to 60 mS. When people report their TDS, I think it is usally in ppm. I have a conversion to ppt. So getting ppm should be easy. Right?

Thanks,

Brad
Old 08/28/2002, 08:18 AM
Moved On

Hi Randy,

When I used my Pinpoint Salinity meter to measure my water out of the tap = 1.3 mS, the RO/DI water from my LFS = 1.2 mS and my tank water = 53mS. Is there anything I can conclude about these readings?

Thanks,

Brad
Old 08/28/2002, 12:16 PM
Reef Chemist

Yes, that the meter probably doesn't read correctly below 2 mS/cm

Tap water is usually in the tens to hundreds of uS/cm, and RO/DI is usually in the single uS/cm.

Given that info, you can't likely use that meter on fresh water (but likely yes for the limewater). I think they have what they call a TDS or conductivity meter as well, and it is likely because the ranges don't overlap.
Old 08/28/2002, 12:44 PM
Moved On

Thanks as always.

Yes Pinpoint does have a conductivity meter. It is around 120 and the accuracy is 1% of the display reading. The Hanna I am looking at has accuracy of 2% of Full Scale. Which one is more accurate or am I splitting hairs.

Thanks,

Brad
Old 08/28/2002, 12:54 PM
Reef Chemist

Hairs, I think, for what we typically want. Of course, if you are at the bottom end of 0-60 mS/cm and the error is +/- 2%, then the bottom might be 1 +/- 1 mS/cm.

If you are measuring tank water at 53 mS/cm, 1 or 2% accuracy is fine.