Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Marine Aquarists Roundtable of Sacramento (MARS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/11/2007, 04:45 PM
Registered Member

Nephthyigorgia Experience?

I was wondering if anyone here had any experience keeping Nephthyigorgia, otherwise known as chili coral or strawbery coral?
The information that I have found online thus far has been very basic and somewhat limited. I'm looking for a little more depth of knowledge. Your assistance would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Old 05/11/2007, 04:49 PM
Registered Member

also of note, I have never seen this kind of polyp extension on my specimen; so obviously he's not too happy with his environment right now...
Old 05/11/2007, 06:05 PM
Registered Member

I don't think I've seen too many of those, and with as pretty as it is (esspecially with the polyps out)I'm betting there is a reason why.
Old 05/11/2007, 06:34 PM
Macro Algae Connoisseur

That coral extends its polyps in the dark. I had it in my sump and it extended its polyps most of the time. The body would inflate with polyp extension.
Old 05/11/2007, 06:39 PM
never an expert

Tagging along...

I have one, but I need to learn more. I am getting crazy polyp extension though (mostly at night after the main lights are off).

John

I never want to be an expert, I just want to know all the stuff they know. Then I can decide for myself if it is valid information.
Old 05/12/2007, 09:45 AM
Softie Lover

My limited experience with them was that they like to be inside a cave of some sort, and are filter feeders not photosynthetic. I had one years ago and attached it upside down in a cave. It thrived for years until i took down that tank and sold everything. I fed the tank marine snow, DT's and stirred up the sand occasionally.
Old 05/12/2007, 09:59 AM
Reef Cowboy

Iwant it I want it I want it I want it I want it.
Old 05/12/2007, 06:44 PM
Moving Along

Actually they are indifferent to light either way, but people recommend that they be shaded from light as to detour any algae growth near or on the speciment. They require heavy planktonic feeding in a heavy/high flow evironment with exceptional water quality, hence the challenge for most aquarists. Basically heavy feeding along with heavy exportation.

Most keepers who are successful recommend cyclopeeze, so I would assume rotifers would also be well taken.

Polyp extension just means it's down to eat and would mean that it's healthy enough to do so, if it's doing this during the day it may be sign that it is needing food ASAP, as like Sam said it usually opens during the night(also a good time to feed) when lights go out.

-Justin
Old 05/13/2007, 12:13 AM
never an expert

Here is mine with polyps extended.

I am still learning on this one...

John

I never want to be an expert, I just want to know all the stuff they know. Then I can decide for myself if it is valid information.
Old 05/13/2007, 01:52 AM
Got Zoa Pox?

This is an older photo of my Chili coral. I got it in December of last year.