Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Marine Aquarists Roundtable of Sacramento (MARS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/03/2007, 09:22 PM
Registered Member

Looking for Live Food - Pods

Does anyone know where I can get some live Tigger Pods in the Sac Area? I need to replenish the pod population in one of my tanks...and soon.
Old 05/03/2007, 09:27 PM
Got Salt?

CRS usually has them, and so does Exotic (Although they seem to keep them in the fridge LIVE!?!?!)

Jack of all trades, and master of none.
~Steve~
Old 05/04/2007, 02:09 AM
Premium Member

We suggest they keep them in the fridge as it slows their metabolism I've froze them and brought them back Very hardy animals. Have to be if you've seen thier environment
Old 05/04/2007, 02:45 AM
Reefer Extraordinaire

Wow, frozen?! I would have thought they'd explode if they were frozen given their makeup? Cryogenically preserved pods...
Old 05/04/2007, 12:57 PM
Premium Member

Well, I froze the bottle. I supect they had a little pocket of extra salty water around them

Most came back though.

I had read a paper about it, so I had to see how it worked. Far too much DOA/DAA though, more then the paper that's for sure.
Old 05/04/2007, 03:58 PM
Registered Member

man, those things are expensive, aren't they. I saw them at Exotic today, but it appears as though a significant quantity of them were no longer "live"... maybe they were just sleeping.
Old 05/04/2007, 04:31 PM
Premium Member

shiveley,

I don't think that their shelf-life is super long in the fridge. At times Exotic has bottles that are active. Every pod swimming around... then there are times when a significant portion of them seem dead and lying on the bottom of the jar. I've bought a bottle when the pods were laying on the bottom (I thought they were hibernating). But after 24 hours of letting the bottle sit at room temp with the lid off (and 2 drops of DT's phyto), the ones on the bottom were still not moving. I'm 90% sure they were dead.

I think the trick is to keep checking back. Eventually you'll see them restocked with very active, live bottles of tigger pods. That's when you gotta stock up It's a great product and it keeps my spotted dragonet fat & happy!

If anyone ever organizes a group by, they can count me in for a couple of bottles.

-Pat
Old 05/04/2007, 06:40 PM
Hab SoSlI' Quch!

Seahorsesource.com sells 2000 tisbe pods for 49.95 and 400 for 14.95.

I might be interested in sharing the shipping costs for 2 day delivery.
Old 05/04/2007, 06:55 PM
Reefer Extraordinaire

I think on of our own sells pods (miracles38). You might want to check with her to see what she can do for you.
Old 05/04/2007, 07:09 PM
Registered Member

I thought kim did phyto? Hmm, either way, I'd be interested in splitting the shipping costs with someone if they were interested in ordering some as well. Wacky Gold-Faced Sleeper Gobies strip-mined my prop tank...not a pod to be seen. I need to replenish it before my gorgs starve.
Old 05/04/2007, 07:11 PM
Reefer Extraordinaire

You might be right about what Kim is selling... I could be confusing everyone, and myself.
Old 05/04/2007, 07:35 PM
Hab SoSlI' Quch!

Shiveley, I am interested in getting the pods from Seahorsesource.com. If you are interested in placing a order, lmk.
Old 05/05/2007, 12:03 AM
Registered Member

Well, we have a couple of choices. I noticed that some other people did a group buy for Tigger Pods directly from Reed and got a decent (but not great) deal. So we could go that route as well, or we can try and get a group discount from Seahorsesource.com and see what they can do for us. What would be your preference? And, is there anyone else that would be interested in doing something like this?

Tigger pods-Some of the Greenville boys recently did a group buy on some Tigger pods from Reed mariculture, so I thought I'd review them here.

The pods came very well packaged in a styrofoam box with package peanuts and cold packs. I paid for 2nd day shipping but got next day at no extra charge!!

The pods, as they claim, are HUGE!! definitely the biggest copepods I've ever seen. they'll give small amphipods a run for their money! they were very active when I received them, and I even stored them in the fridge for a few days for a fellow reefer with very little die-off.

The normal price is $20 + shipping for a 6 oz. bottle (with around 500 pods, I believe), but if you order 4 or more bottles (which we did) they're $15/bottle and, IMO, worth every penny.

My pod population increased dramatically--with both the large tigger pods and my smaller pod population did eventually increase as well. Before I harvest any cheato, it is literally crawling with both kinds of pods. The tigger pods are huge--even bigger than the ones in the bottle. They almost look like a mysis shrimp.
Old 05/05/2007, 12:17 AM
Registered Member

I've gotten bottles of them several times. I've keep them in my fridge for over three weeks with them still comeing back to life when brought back to room temp with maybe only a 20% die off, but I did let them warm up and feed a couple times.
Old 05/05/2007, 12:53 AM
Premium Member

I would vote for a tigger pod group buy - but I'm in for either.

-Pat
Old 05/05/2007, 01:08 AM
Reef Cowboy

Ding. I'm in.

Is it just me or are there a lot of group buys afoot lately...??? What's next? Can we group buy killowatt hours?
Old 05/11/2007, 06:26 PM
Registered Member

Smile Local Pod Supply!

It has recently come to my attention that one of our illustrious members does in fact propagate and sell pods locally.

She is currently raising two separate types: the larger tigger type pods and another smaller variety of white pods.

These are normally sold by the bottle, which should contain between 50-100 pods each.

I think that it would make much more sense to buy locally then to place an order with some distant online company with exorbitant shipping fees. If anyone is interested I think that she would be able to begin fulfilling orders within the next couple of weeks.

I'm definitely planning on picking some up (I NEED PODS), so if you would be interested in getting some as well, please post your request under this topic heading and she will get back to you with the details.

And remember, the "Buy Local" slogan doesn't just apply to farmers...
Old 05/11/2007, 07:22 PM
Premium Member

I am sold on the tigger pods at the moment. I was doing some midnight recon on the tank recently and noticed some odd free swimming "bugs" going for the moonlit areas of the surface water while the pumps were off......after some thought this is the first time I have seen these buggers before and believe it is due to the two bottles of the tigger pods that I put in a few months ago and have managed to breed and propogate in the system.
Old 05/12/2007, 04:32 AM
Premium Member

~120 miles is distant? We're just over in the Bay Area
Old 05/12/2007, 04:44 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Paliya
shiveley,

I don't think that their shelf-life is super long in the fridge. At times Exotic has bottles that are active. Every pod swimming around... then there are times when a significant portion of them seem dead and lying on the bottom of the jar. I've bought a bottle when the pods were laying on the bottom (I thought they were hibernating). But after 24 hours of letting the bottle sit at room temp with the lid off (and 2 drops of DT's phyto), the ones on the bottom were still not moving. I'm 90% sure they were dead.

-Pat
We had some problems with a couple batches in the last few months that didn't last that long. We figured out what had happenned though and corrected it. It was a very simple error that had a even simpler solution

Tigger-Pods last far longer in cooler temps, refriderators included. As I stated above, it slows down their metabolism. Typically the die off people see is due to old age in the adults. Adults are only ~half of what is in the bottle usually and by the time the die off typically the adult females have all ready released multiple broods. If they can mate physically, they will. They just live to eat and breed

If yours was 90% dead, drop me a PM and I will get you another
Old 05/12/2007, 09:33 AM
Hab SoSlI' Quch!

Re: Local Pod Supply!

Quote:
Originally posted by shiveley
It has recently come to my attention that one of our illustrious members does in fact propagate and sell pods locally.

She is currently raising two separate types: the larger tigger type pods and another smaller variety of white pods.

These are normally sold by the bottle, which should contain between 50-100 pods each.

I think that it would make much more sense to buy locally then to place an order with some distant online company with exorbitant shipping fees. If anyone is interested I think that she would be able to begin fulfilling orders within the next couple of weeks.

I'm definitely planning on picking some up (I NEED PODS), so if you would be interested in getting some as well, please post your request under this topic heading and she will get back to you with the details.

And remember, the "Buy Local" slogan doesn't just apply to farmers...

Please PM me with the details!

Thanks!
Old 05/12/2007, 11:38 AM
Registered Member

Who is the local supplier? I am interested. I was about to make an order at tiggerpod.com, but if I can get my hands on some right now and throw them in my sump that would work better!
Old 05/12/2007, 01:17 PM