Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Central Oklahoma Marine Aquarium Society
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/29/2007, 08:30 PM
Registered Member

fish world in Yukon and Omniplex

In my tour of stores in OKC, I stumbled onto a place in Yukon called Fish World. Nice little store. Limited fish selection but prices were reasonable. Some nice clams and a good selection of soft corals and some LPS. Just thought I would pass the word along in case people did not know about this store.

Reef Warehouse was a big disappointment to me. Good size store but prices were pretty high. $40 for yellow coris wrasse. $60 for a 2 in. sailfin tang.

I went to the omniplex during my stay. Great museum. If you have not seen the Body exhibit yet, it is definitely worthwhile. Major criticism was their pathetic excuse for a salt water fish tank. 2 hippo and 1 yellow tang in the worse shape i have ever seen in a display. Very sad.
Old 12/29/2007, 10:02 PM
Premium Member

The Omiplex is a very sensitive subject. The club has tried several times in intervention, with more than harsh refusal. At least thats what I remember of the situation.
Old 12/30/2007, 01:36 PM
Premium Member

Wow...

Quote:
Originally posted by eddybabyhd
The Omiplex is a very sensitive subject. The club has tried several times in intervention, with more than harsh refusal. At least thats what I remember of the situation.
That's kinda disappointing... How long ago was the offer extended? I think there's new management in the past few years...

LL
Old 12/31/2007, 01:42 PM
Registered Member

the omiplex was so much fun when i was a kid but now it seems to be going down hill until this discover the body thing came in. they were going down why wouldn't they get some out side professional help
Old 12/31/2007, 03:41 PM
Premium Member

to be honest, the omiplex has recieved alot of funding recently, and is undergoing a huge rennovation. It will be worth seeing once they complete. The body exhibit was cool, but to be honest i was more disappointed they moved out the aerospace to make room for that stuff. Anyone who likes aviation would really enjoy it. Especially the F-1 main engine from the saturn V rocket from the apollo missions. This engine can suck 30,000 gallons of fuel in 8.5 seconds, outputting 1.5 million pounds of thrust!!!!!

Sorry I know I am off topic
Old 12/31/2007, 10:56 PM
Registered Member

eddybabyhd, I don't disagree with you about rocket engines. They are totally amazing. Think about this, though. A human heart beats about 36 million times a year, moving 600 cc of blood with each beat, without rest for the entirety of a human lifespan. How's that for engineering?
Old 01/01/2008, 12:59 PM
Registered Member

does anyone know if they completed that treehouse deal they were going to build to fill two stories? They were going to replace that climb on molecule with it.

I donated to it, but we moved, so I have no idea if it's done. I'd love to let my son play all over it next time we visit.

Back to topic:
Last time we were there, which was over a year ago, the fish stuff wasn't too bad. Yeah, it didn't compare to many of our members' tanks and they didn't have any corals, but the fish looked healthy and they had a lot of swimming room. They had the long shallow tank that made kind of a square around a speaking area.
Old 01/01/2008, 04:53 PM
Premium Member

The tree house is complete and pretty neat.
Old 01/02/2008, 10:50 PM
Registered Member

mskohl, the tank that your're talking about is OK and not a problem. They have separate 125 gallon tank with 2 hippos, a maroon clown, and a yellow tang. This was the one that was really bad.

The tree house is great. Kids loved it.
Old 01/02/2008, 10:54 PM
Registered Member

well, I'm glad to hear about the treehouse. We may have to visit there one of these weekends.

I don't remember the 125g. It really is a shame. Maybe we need to organize a fish-knapping. j/k.... kinda....
Old 01/06/2008, 08:53 AM
Personna Non Grata

I have not yet seen the body exhibit but have seen the tree house. I had hoped that they would have revamped the aquariums they run. I suppose that did not happen.