Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/21/2007, 03:07 PM
Productive Procrastinator

Quote:
Originally posted by NewSchool04
I think you'll be fine unless you plan on having your rock up to your front glass. This will give you all the light where you need it and the VHO's will be able to even out any dark areas.

The spread on my 3 mini's is unbelievable on my 72" tank. Adding one more and using the large should cover that 96" with no problem.

Take sugartooth up on that offer and test it out. If it's not going to be enough because of the depth, maybe you could stagger 5, that would be plenty!
The VHOs will all be actinics. If I need more white light, I need more halides. Still be o.k.?

5 large? How would you stagger them?
--t-l-f--
---d-y---
Old 11/21/2007, 03:18 PM
Premium Member

Have you thought about T5's at all? Every tank I see where SPS's are doing well with nice T5 lighting just amazes me. I've never tried it personally though. What about the large L3's in the middle and some mixture of T5's on the outskirts? That way you still get the good intensity of an overdriven T5 bulb, save some $$$ on electricity, and you can have nice supplemental lighting for normal viewing that actually has some usable PAR ?

PK
Old 11/21/2007, 03:18 PM

What do you guys think of this?

I kinda don't like the halides being directly over the center brace, but 4 or 8 bulbs would help that...
--t-l-f--
---d-y---
Old 11/21/2007, 03:27 PM
Premium Member

Is it an acrylic tank? Personally I don't like the idea of the halides over the brace if it's acrylic either. Glass is another story...but it's still a waste of a lot of light, especially if the bulb is directly over the brace.
Old 11/21/2007, 03:29 PM

pk1- Yep. Acrylic... Yep.
I have 23" above the tank. So I can mount them high, but yep.
--t-l-f--
---d-y---
Old 11/21/2007, 03:35 PM
Premium Member

Even though you can mount them higher, that still scares me. Doesn't a MH mounted over the brace void the warranty? Not that the tank maker would ever know if there was a problem, but you'd have to think that it voids the warranty for a reason. I think I saw a nasty pic somewhere on here of a center brace on a large tank that split because of the MH, something about the UV breaking down the acrylic?
Did you see my post above about the T5's? We posted at the same time...

PK
Old 11/21/2007, 03:37 PM
Registered Member

I know with the LB reflectors they are getting good amount of light through acrylic braces. The numbers are posted on the LB thread. If your going to mout the reflectors like you have posted and you have good mounting height I would think about the LBs. If Canar isn't going to use his maybe he can let you test one.
Old 11/21/2007, 03:47 PM

pk- Sorry, I did miss the t5 post. Personally, I do not like them. I don't think they would have near enough power for this size tank. Or I would need like 50 T5s to do anything. I'd rather buy a couple more halide bulbs.... Thanks for alternative ideas though.

Yeah, I don't want to do them over the center brace. Thinking out loud I guess.

That would be great to test a LB too.

I think this will be the winner:
--t-l-f--
---d-y---
Old 11/21/2007, 03:49 PM

Don't worry. My carpentry skills are better than my sketching skills. That one would be with ALL small LAs or LBs.
--t-l-f--
---d-y---
Old 11/21/2007, 03:54 PM
Registered Member

Sorry but OT, 444reefkeeper what do you plan to run as skimmerfor this bad boy?
Old 11/21/2007, 04:01 PM

No worries.
I'm thinking of a PM Bullet XL series skimmer. Looking for a used one. I'm sure I don't want to do a re-circ. Too many pumps.
--t-l-f--
---d-y---
Old 11/21/2007, 04:04 PM
Premium Member

No prob. My point was more towards the use of VHO as supplemental with the T5's, not as an alternative to MH's. IMO, if your going to supplement why bother with VHO's which have very little par, when you could use T5's, get the same effect, more par and better bulb life. My VHO atinics were useless after a few months. Anyhow, here's that thread I was talking about with the cracked brace, and a good wet web media article on the acrylic tanks and braces. Just in case you change your mind on where to mount those MH's!

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...ic+brace+crack

http://wetwebmedia.com/acrylicaqrepair.htm
Old 11/21/2007, 04:15 PM

I've had the opposite luck with VHOs and T5s. I've said it before, "there's too many right ways to do things in this hobby". Personal preference I guess.

Thanks for the links. Got some reading to do.
--t-l-f--
---d-y---
Old 11/21/2007, 05:42 PM
Registered Member

I too have not been sold on T5s. The PM beckets are nice skimmers , I had a PM1 a few years ago. Was a great work horse but too noisy. Why are you not going to go with 8 full size reflectors? If you go with the right bulb combo you don't need VHOS. With your lighting set up you can even cross in MH 10ks and 14s or 20s. I too like the morning and evening actenics, but still unsure if I am going to use them this time around. Maybe I will change my mind after seeing what your set up looks like. What type of bulbs do you plan on using?
Old 11/21/2007, 06:14 PM

I may go 8 full size. They will all fit.
I love the sunrise/sunset effect of actinics. Gotta have it.
The 3 SE bulbs that are being considered are( in a favored order):
Reeflux 10K
XM 10K
Radium 20K
Haven't found anything between that I like.
Oh, all MH ballasts will be PFO HQI 400's.
--t-l-f--
---d-y---
Old 11/21/2007, 06:32 PM
Registered Member

How are you going to mount or hang your VHOs? I ask because I have a 180 AGA tank and already have a VHO ballast set with 4 36inch VHOs and not too sure how I could make this work. The wife really wants the sunrise/sunset thing, I think it is just more clutter in the canopy and more bulbs to replace. But got to keep the wife happy.
Old 11/21/2007, 06:38 PM

JR- I do it a few different ways depending on the canopy reflector combo. If you can, take a pic of your set-up and I'll come up with a few ideas that you can choose from t fit your needs.
--t-l-f--
---d-y---
Old 11/21/2007, 06:38 PM
Any rare SPS for sale?

Marco rocks will let you cherry pick huge rocks. Some large rocks weigh a lot less then others the same size. They will send you pictures with measurements and weight. If you are patient you can get huge pieces for a lot less this way.
Old 11/21/2007, 06:39 PM

Wasn't sure of the density comparison between the 2. I was thinking about it though.
--t-l-f--
---d-y---
Old 11/21/2007, 07:38 PM
Blue

I'll pipe up on T5's first. I've never had as much success with both color and growth as my old T5 tank. The bulbs really work. With your situation I don't think they would work though. Too much acrylic to go through to make sense.

I can't do any of those fancy drawings but when I said staggered, I meant one reflector up 4" and then the next back 4". With five reflectors in a row, you would have 2" on both sides the reflector was over the end. Not bad at all and wouldn't probably affect a hood at all. You would also really cover the whole tank with light.

pk1's post made me look at my VHO's when I got home from work tonight. I've thought they have lost a lot of color lately, been asking my wife and she just shrugs her shoulders and shakes her head walking out of the room. Patrick is totally right. My bulbs have nothing on what they used to have. Totally dull now and I've run mine for 3 months and about 4 hours a day. They do lose a lot quick.

Maybe T5's for your blue look?
Old 11/22/2007, 02:40 AM

old school- Is this what you meant?

If so, I wouldn't have enough room. That set-up would be too long. I don't want my canopy to be longer than the tank.
--t-l-f--
---d-y---
Old 11/22/2007, 02:42 AM

JR- With the mogul sockets hanging out, I won't have room for the full size lumies and my VHOs. I think the smaller lumies should do alright though.
--t-l-f--
---d-y---
Old 11/22/2007, 02:56 AM

UPDATE: Saw the big Lumen Brite tonight.
There is no way they will work for a tank as wide as mine. They would be good for a 55, even still you would need 3 to get an even spread. They do look brighter directly under the bulb, but the drop off is terrible the closer you get to the outside of the reflector.
Even if I could fit 8 of the LBs, I'd only be able to have 8 good size heads underneath those spot lights.
Not that impressed....( IMO )
--t-l-f--
---d-y---
Old 11/22/2007, 11:11 AM
OT GODFATHER

Nice to hear "the other side" I was starting to rethink my purchase of fullsize lumenarcs
I can honestly say all the bad things that ever happened to me were directly attributed to drugs & alcohol. I mean I would never urinate at the Alamo at 9 o'clock in the morning dressed in a woman's evening dress sober. -Ozzy Osbourne
Old 11/22/2007, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by craftytony
Nice to hear "the other side" I was starting to rethink my purchase of fullsize lumenarcs
If I could fit the full size Lumen Arcs I would. Its the Spot Brites, I mean Lumen Brites, that IMO are garbage.
--t-l-f--
---d-y---