Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/28/2005, 12:33 AM
Registered Member

Some type of Flatworm???

Ok here we go. I recently have noticed these little white creatures just hanging out on the front glass of my display. Most of my corals ( acros ) are showing minimal - to poor splochy coloration. They are about the same size and color of this "o". I have not been able to see any of them on any of the corals. I tried taking a small clipping of a suspected infected colony and threw it in a container of RO water only to watch nothing come off of it.

Here is a pic of said creatures on my glass, and under a microscope.

150x magnification
http://members.cox.net/darnoc1/RC%20.../Flatworm1.jpg

On Glass ( sorry for the non helpful pic, but my camera has a hard time focusing on them )
http://members.cox.net/darnoc1/RC%20.../FlatwormD.jpg

These are not easily blown around the tank eaither. These things are stuck on the tank. I have to literally pry them off with my fingernail to get them to come loose. Anyone have a clue ? Ive tried sticking them in a container with RO water and watched nothing really happen. Also tried sticking them in with a lugols mix and alas, nothing. Any ideas as to what i have on my hands here Dr. Ron ?

Thanks in advance

-James
Old 12/28/2005, 09:32 AM
Registered Member

Hi James,

Yes, they appear to be flatworms. It is possible they are affecting your corals. It is probably just as likely that they are harmless. The odds are that they are eating something in your system, but most of the small worms are harmless, or beneficial, eaters of the fearsome diatom.

Those that eat corals so seem to drop off the corals given a fresh water dip.