Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/26/2005, 08:48 PM
Registered Member

Is this good for a DSB

I would like to know of the 2 choices which is better or should I mix equal amounts pound for pound? Foe my size tank I would need around 150 lbs for a 30x27x30. Also do I still need 2 detritivore kits or do I need 3 Here is the product info.

Fiji Pink - This soft pink colored, 100% aragonite substrate is a good intermediate sand size product. The precise 0.5 - 1.5mm grain size combines some of the animal friendly properties of fine sand such as ingestability and low resistance to burrowing, but with better diffusive flux properties and good porosity. This is also the standard choice for reef

Bahamas Oolite - This oolitic sand is ideal for shallower beds, allowing denitrification in as little as 1� depth. The most friendly to bottom dwelling creatures; its fine grain size can pass easily through the gills of gobys and other sand sifting organisms. Also an excellent choice for the cultivation of seagrasses (true plants) such as Thallasia species. Gentle to sharks and rays. Grain size 0.1 - 1.0 mm.
Product #: 00793 (20 lb. bag).

Thanks
Michael Iezza
IT'S NOT THAT SIMPLE.......
BAREBOTTOM ALL THE WAY®
Old 12/27/2005, 09:11 AM
Registered Member

Hi Michael,

Really, neither of them is particularly good, but the so-called Bahamas oolite would be the better of the two.

Personally as regards detritivore kits, you should go with as much as you can get. The more you start with, the faster the development of the bed will be, provided all other things are equal.
Old 12/27/2005, 09:45 AM
Registered Member

Ok than I thought I did my homework and came up with 2 good choices I guess not So what is a good sand bed choice to start with? I only want to do this right the first time and keep my mistakes to a minimum. Is the ESV brand a better choice? If I go with that brand then I will need live sand to start it up. So that leaves me with a new problem were do I get good live sand from to seed it. I know from your great book that I will need 10% to seed it. I am so glade I have read most of the post I can get my hands on or it would have been a complete failure. Any guidance that you can suggest would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks your student to be
Michael Iezza
BAREBOTTOM ALL THE WAY®
Old 12/27/2005, 10:08 AM
Registered Member

Hi Michael,

The finer sand would work passably well, probably any fine oolitic would. The last time I set up my tank I went with ESV oolitic sand, but that was long enough ago that there were no other options. When my office/lab remodel gets finished.... if it ever gets finished (we are now only 3 months past the due date...) I will set up my next tank with some silica sand purchased in various sizes to match the optimal grain size. Not only will the sediment be better for the animals, it will be one whole heck of a lot cheaper.

Search around the web for vendors offering live sand with animals in it. Unless such a product has a lot of visible critters in it, such a "live sand" is simply sand moistened in sea water that has bacteria growing in it and such a product is worthless.
Old 12/27/2005, 10:13 AM
Registered Member

I finally got it Thanks.
BAREBOTTOM ALL THE WAY®