Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 12/13/2006, 12:47 PM
RC Staff

This thread was automatically split due to performance issues. You can find the rest of the thread here: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...99#post8742799
Old 12/13/2006, 12:47 PM
Team RC Member

techreef and Bax -

Jonathan - How would you suggest I alter my pump configuration, I'd love to get your comments? As I see it, I need 1 pump for a return from the sump, and another one running my CL. The only way I can see getting around having 2 pumps is putting another powerhead in the tank, which I don't want to do. The Mag12 running my CL has been pretty low-maintenance, considering I've only cleaned it and/or changed impellers 3 times in the last 15 months. As far as heat, I think I've got that problem solved. The temp probe-controlled fan does a good job of keeping it cool in the summer, and there have been several nights already this winter where my heaters have enjoyed the assistance of the in-sump Mag pump and the CL pump.

Check out this thread about my gigas clam and let me know what you all think. Here's a pic to tease you about the topic.

Old 12/13/2006, 01:15 PM
Premium Member

we have splittage! Congrats Dudester on a great thread.
Old 12/13/2006, 04:22 PM
TRC Leader

Resubscribing.
Old 12/13/2006, 06:11 PM
Team RC Member

How about that, a split! We've been through some rough times, like battling fish deaths, severe alkalosis, temperature lability, flatworms, bryopsis, red bugs, and AEFWs. But we've also had more than our share of successes as well!
Thanks Marc and techreef, as well as all of the newbies and experienced reefers out there who have helped to keep this thread alive for 13 months now . Let's keep it going, shall we?
Old 12/13/2006, 06:48 PM
Premium Member

41 pages, WOW!!!!
Old 12/13/2006, 08:46 PM
I brake for sps

I'll drink to a split.
Old 12/13/2006, 10:26 PM
Registered Member

Wow. I just read all 40 pages. I hope someday I can have a tank half as nice as your's.

I'll admit I skipped ahead to catch a look at your tank while I was reading, the one you posted on page 39 I think. I was blown away. It wasn't until a few days later that I found out it was a tank without all your acros! (I had no idea what that word meant untill this thread.)

I know you must still be devestated from the death of all your acros but man, you still have an amazing tank.

I just had to chime in after reading the whole thread. Keep up the good work.

One more thing.

Sorry my favortie movie is Star Wars But the Big Lebowski was great!
Old 12/13/2006, 10:57 PM

clam flem, what's all the fuss about??

Seems like you are fine on the pumps then. I thought you had more going on. Just a thought thought for consideration: My ower was out for 8 - 10 hours today and i ran a Vortech off a UPS...
Old 12/14/2006, 12:02 AM
TRC Leader

ExarKun,

[welcome]
Old 12/14/2006, 12:16 AM
Registered Member

dang
Old 12/14/2006, 12:50 AM
Registered Member

OK so I looked at the clam thing, and I'm stumped. I would imagine it wasn't produced by the clam and was "coughed" up but again, just a guess.

One thing that might help if switching your return to an eheim. They tend to run cooler meaning less calcium deposits.

John
Old 12/14/2006, 02:02 AM
Registered Member

Dudester,
Thanks for this great thread. I just got finished reading through it, and I can honestly say that I have learnd a loads. When I got to the section about your, and Fisheypets acros my heart broke. I really hope the best for you guys.

Phil
Old 12/14/2006, 08:16 AM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

Dude

Congrats on the split!
Old 12/14/2006, 09:39 AM
Registered Member

Congrats on the split and all that you and your tank have been through. I have been following along now for about 6 months and think that you have definitely been a trouper throughout everything....there aren't a lot of people out there that would be able to do the same.

Helps when you have such helpful people here and around your local area.

I'll make sure to have a white russian tonight to celebrate
Old 12/14/2006, 04:23 PM
Team RC Member

Thanks to everyone for the very nice comments and congratulations. It's so nice to read that others besides myself are benefiting from the content. I guess it is kind of a big deal to split a thread - indicates that there's some value for more than just the thread-starter. White Russians ("caucasians") for everyone!!

John - I'll look into the Eheims, great suggestion and excellent point about less precipitates accumulating on a cooler surface. Hopefully it'll fit in the return section of my sump. That clam thing is weird, hu?
Old 12/14/2006, 04:30 PM
Will work 4 corals

Hey Mike, I heard that you were spreading rumors about me while you and Clint were cuddling. I think those frags fell out of my tank somehow. oops!

So shoot me!
Old 12/14/2006, 05:47 PM
Team RC Member

Gabriel, I have no idea what you are talking about, but I can at least deny ever "cuddling" with Clint or spreading rumors. Glad to see the 'smiley face' emoticon after your post. Please fill me in, or maybe we can discuss it at the ARC meeting this Saturday.
Old 12/14/2006, 05:50 PM
Will work 4 corals

Something about another forum and my purpose for going to Seattle. It doesn't matter I know you were joking around. I just wanted to give you a hard time.

So shoot me!
Old 12/15/2006, 11:34 AM
Premium Member

I second the Diaphram suggestion.
Old 12/15/2006, 10:22 PM
Team RC Member

first double post, ever
Old 12/15/2006, 10:27 PM
Team RC Member

OK, this is both weird and wonderful. As you all know, lettuce nudibranchs are hard to keep around due to their short life span, and even more so, due to their tendency to find the overflows, powerheads and other locations not favorable to their survival. A few months ago, I lost an adult but shortly thereafter I found a baby nudi that has grown to adulthood and still resides in my tank. With my last cleanup crew order a while back I got another lettuce nudibranch that is lighter in color and more speckled than the ones I had and have photographed in the past (the only one of them I have left is the baby - now adult). Well tonight I found a baby "speckled" nudibranch in the tank, so the one I got from Reeftopia must have either been "pregnant" or it has bred with the other species of lettuce nudi in my tank! Very cool. It's currently buried in a small patch of bryopsis (eating it, no doubt) so I can't take a pic, but if it ever emerges I'll try to snap a shot.

Tomorrow is our next Austin Reef Club meeting. Clint and I are giving away Fluke-Tabs to all of the members that show up (we got 1000 of them!), and we're going to discuss dipping techniques and the importance of doing so. We're going to teach responsible reefing and hopefully, with proper dips and quarantine, we'll begin to rid our local area of the AEFW and other harmful hitchhikers. If everyone does this in their regions, we can all help to put a stop to the spread of unwanted and harmful parasites.

Ouch, I twisted my ankle getting off of my soap box.
Old 12/15/2006, 10:36 PM
Will work 4 corals

Three cheers for dipping!

So shoot me!
Old 12/15/2006, 10:39 PM
Team RC Member

Hip Hip, Hooray!!
Old 12/15/2006, 10:39 PM
TRC Leader

Very cool. Hopefully it'll continue to get you freebies.