Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Cephalopods
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/04/2006, 08:39 AM
Registered Member

babies are hatching, any advice?

Hi,

After finally figuring out what these strange egg shaped items were in my tank, I've noticed that they have started hatching. I turned off the power head in the tank and turned down the flow from the canister filter. The reason I knew 2 of the little guys had hatched is I put some mysis in the tank to feed my seahorses and 2 of them came out and actually grabbed on to some mysis and looked to eat it.

Here is the short version of the story;

I purchased an octopus from a wholesaler around 2 months ago. I brought her home, acclimated her, and turned her loose in the tank. This was at night so I did this and went to bed. I NEVER saw her again.... well, after having an empty tank for 3-4 weeks I decided to put some seahorses in the cube. About a week ago I noticed some strange egg like things floating around the tank. I posted some pics on RC, finally figured out what they were, and this is what I now have.

Here are some pics I was able to get.

Any words of wisdom are appreciated!
Old 04/05/2006, 01:12 AM
Registered Member

Are the Sea horses big enought to eat them?
Old 04/05/2006, 01:16 AM
XenMaster

Crazy! Congrats! LFS credit, here they come..
Rio1700 w/ SWCD return
2 Rio600 w/ HydorFl0 attachments.
Powered by Seachem;Verified by Salifert
Old 04/06/2006, 08:09 AM
Registered Member

Well, I found the momma bear last night. I put some frozen baby bloodworms in the tank to see if any more had hatched... when low and behold I see a 3 inch tenticle sticking out of a rock grabbing the food as it floats by. When I put the flashing on her, she retracted back in the hole. This hole is roughly 1/4-1/2 inch in diameter... I really dont know how she got in there, much less how there is room in there for eggs.

Anywho, I got out the blue LED light and shined up in the little hole and there is in fact a big octo up in there. She was moving around quite a bit.

I am curious though, since I never really saw the momma octopus, I dont really know what species it is. When I shined the flashlight on her I saw a white tenticle with blueish/redish spots all over... does this help identify her at all?

I am assuming since she is up in that rock that there are probably a lot more than the 6 eggs I have located actually in that tank. The 2 that have hatched seem to be doing great in the little breeding net I setup. There are 4 other eggs with them that look ready to hatch at any time.
Old 04/06/2006, 09:46 AM
Registered Member

There are likely more than 6 eggs. 600 might be a good estimate

I'm glad they're doing well in the breeder net, but if you have a whole bunch more hatch you might decide to take this whole octopus thing a step further and build a nursery. Here's what I might do:

Take a deep plastic tray (like one of those under-bed storage bins) and set it on a table, or even a couple buckets, near your tank. Build a PVC standpipe for an overflow (covered in netting, of course) draining into your sump, keeping about an inch of water in the tray. Put a hose on a small powerhead in your sump to supply the water.

Cut a whole bunch of pieces of 1/2" PVC to serve as dens and keep it stocked with as many mysis shrimp and 'pods as you can get your hands on. Each little one might eat 2-3 mysis a day and will grow reasonably quickly. Cannibalism will occur and will help keep your population manageable and fed.

If you find yourself with 500 hatchlings and don't want to go to all that trouble, you can just let them fend for themselves in your display tank and hope one of them ends up king of the hill after a couple months.

Dan
Old 04/06/2006, 10:33 AM
Registered Member

How long can you keep all the babies together before you have to start parting them out? I know they will start fighting eventually, when does the aggression start?
Old 04/06/2006, 11:24 AM
Registered Member

I've been reading a lot of scientific literature about rearing O. bimaculoides, so your mileage will vary with a different species (perhaps you have O. briareus?)

Anyway, for bimacs it seems that there usually won't be much cannibalism for the first couple weeks.

Preventing cannibalism, however, means taking this another order of magnitude further than even the nursery described above. You would want a separate sealed enclosure for each octopus, each complete with flow, den and octoproofing.

This extra step might not be desirable, unless you know what you'll do with 500 adult octopuses

Dan
Old 04/06/2006, 12:23 PM
XenMaster

Quote:
Originally posted by DHyslop

This extra step might not be desirable, unless you know what you'll do with 500 adult octopuses

Dan
I'm sure your local sushi and japanese restaurants would be interested..
Rio1700 w/ SWCD return
2 Rio600 w/ HydorFl0 attachments.