Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/12/2005, 04:42 PM
Premium Member

DIBS!!!! I'm writing out a check for $750.00!
Old 09/12/2005, 05:11 PM
why can't i love???

can i see a pic of that under something other than microwaves?lol
Old 09/12/2005, 05:16 PM
wears sex panther

Quote:
Originally posted by oddballs
this is rc not the peoples court!i just feel bad for some guy getting flamed and all he is doing is selling frags like everyone else.also if a corral is mis represented by by being lit by actinic lighting then we are all guilty .

I don't know if I fully agree with that, I mean, we all have actinic lighting, but there's a difference between taking a picture of a coral highlighted by actinic lighting and taking a picture of a coral highlighted by actinic lighting. if this frag was being sold looking like everyone else's pictures this thread wouldn't be here, becuase there would have been nothing to make a thread about. also, I don't see that anyone is really being flamed, there's no personal issues here, just people curious to see a background pic of this coral

There are no facts, only interpretations

-Nietzche
Old 09/12/2005, 05:54 PM
Registered Member

BTW, here's the same lord not under 900 watts of actinic :

Peace,

Chip
Old 09/12/2005, 06:04 PM
why can't i love???

still a nice coral.
Old 09/12/2005, 06:13 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mummra100769
still a nice coral.
Oh, it's not going anywhere. I sit in front of my tank on a rocking chair with a sawed-off 12-gauge shotgun resting on my lap.

Peace,

Chip
Old 09/12/2005, 06:18 PM
Registered Member

Here it is in mid-May when I acquired it :

I figured I'd just hijack this thread so it doesn't turn ugly/lockable.

Peace,

Chip
Old 09/12/2005, 07:08 PM
why can't i love???

i think you sand in that one pick is....a little.....too..white.lol and i am j/k
Old 09/13/2005, 09:19 AM
why can't i love???

well, $200.00 later and someone is the proud owner of the bluest coral on the planet (if it was really that color it was worth alot more). really no offence but i bet the buyer never....
a. saw this thread
b. was an uber noob and took the chance that it was just that blue.

well we will never know as it must have been absolute terror to try and take another pic of the now infamous "pappa smurf enchinata".lol

j/k man and happy reefing.
Old 09/13/2005, 11:15 AM
Psuedo Member

whats the deal with the word uber? ive heard a couple of tv shows use it and im only guessing its a california catch phase. typical.
Old 09/13/2005, 11:29 AM
Moved On

Is that a stab at the west coast? Let's not go there now

Uber-
The word über comes from the German language. It is a cognate of both Latin super and Greek ύπερ (hyper), as well as English over (as in "overkill"). During the late 1990's, über also became a synonym for super; i.e. übercool - supercool - generally with a slightly intensified meaning. Ãœber is commonly misspelled as uber in English, although the correct substitute for the 'ü'-Umlaut would be ue, not just 'u'.
Old 09/13/2005, 11:47 AM
Registered Member

wow!?
Old 09/13/2005, 11:56 AM
Premium Member

mummra thanks for looking out for fellow reefers, you too chip.
Old 09/13/2005, 12:13 PM
why can't i love???

nuh-bu-lub (translate that reefin). man i do not even know how to make a regular u into a umlaut on a keyboard but that does not stop me from using such a uber waord as uber.j/k
Old 09/13/2005, 01:03 PM
Zoa Color Pirate

How big was the piece this guy was selling? $200 for a decent sized piece of "regular rainbow acan" is not TO bad. Maybe the buyer see's its fake but still wants a rainbow?
Old 09/13/2005, 01:19 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stevedola
whats the deal with the word uber? ive heard a couple of tv shows use it and im only guessing its a california catch phase. typical.
weak. Typical hater
Old 09/13/2005, 01:32 PM
why can't i love???

around here enchinatas of a large size are going for no more than $70.00 (more like $50.00).
Old 09/13/2005, 01:47 PM
Moved On

everyone should read Oddballs and DonavonsReef post. we are not internet cop mummra. I think and know that most fellow reefer use actinic to bring out the color of their corals. if you haven't seen the coral in person don't assume until you see it. i haven't but i still think it's a nice coral.
bty: mummra are you jealous are just a hater?
Old 09/13/2005, 01:58 PM
wears sex panther

Quote:
Originally posted by Jovreefer
How big was the piece this guy was selling? $200 for a decent sized piece of "regular rainbow acan" is not TO bad. Maybe the buyer see's its fake but still wants a rainbow?
it was for 5 polyps, going rate... like $20-40
for $200 that buyer could've gotten at least a full colony, or two, but oh well, to each their own

also bbulldog, no one is an internet cop here, people just point out the most flagrant of picture warping so that buyers with less knowledge don't get taken off guard. we know the coral doesn't look like that, you know the coral doesn't look like that, and most importantly, the seller knows the coral doesn't look like that, and soon enough, I imagine the buyer and paypal are going to know that the coral doesn't look like that. we do know the coral may in fact look like that under the seller's lighting, but the auction didn't say rare coral that looks blue in my lighting, it said, ultra rare coral which is blue, and happens to be taken under my lighting, which is also blue. there is a world of difference in these two descriptions
just my 2 cents...

-Nietzche
Old 09/13/2005, 02:05 PM
Moved On

organism, have you seen the coral in person for you to accuse someone that their coral is not want it look like. went you do, then you can correct me if i'm wrong.
Old 09/13/2005, 02:42 PM
Moved On

Please just let this die the auction is over. We could argue until we are blue in the face and everyone's opinion is valid in my book! The seller did not lie he stated the coral was blue in his tank under Blue lights period. Could he have said more YES but to be honest when I seen it and read the lighting I knew right off the bat it would not be that blue under my 10k's so I passed it right by. If people are purchasing these live animals without researching them first then that is there BAD. The buyer has the right to ask for a different photo and if one is not provided then they don't buy it.

I am all for looking out for my fellow Reefer ( that is one of the things I like about RC the most) but honeslty consumers need to research and be aware of different lighting schemes just like they should be aware of how to care for this animal.

I have seen SO MANY auctions for Extremely hard to care for corals that state "beginner coral very easy to care for buy now" but no ones ever calls them on it. Instead we worry more about the color of a coral then the over all care of the life form.

Sorry for my last Rant on this one

Peace
Rob
Old 09/13/2005, 02:44 PM
why can't i love???

well the easiest way i see to correct all of us is to post a tank shot of that coral. ohh...wait... that must not be to easy. i know, we can all just argue back and forth until the mods close the thread. i honestly believe this is scam-ola at it's best and i am eager to have my opinion on this coral corrected if only the owner would post a pic of it. ohh....wait...that's to hard. i now challenge the owner to either let this thread die (and his buddies bbulldog) or post a tank shot. better yet lets get a hold of the buyer and see how much he likes his new coral.

i am only interested in helping my fellow reefers here on RC and if you take just a couple of minutes to look at my gallery i think jealousy as a motive will be removed completely. if we are all fellow reefers here then we should not try to take advantage of each other (thats what retailers are for.j/k).

i agree it's over and now we let it die. just to clarify that there was never any proof offered to the contrary as to what color this coral actually was. even under actinics i think it was just to blue and would suggest that maybe (just my opinion) the pic was enhanced. now if that was true we would all have to agree that crosses the line.
Old 09/13/2005, 03:59 PM
404 errors turn me on

Quote:
It's a phrase that originated with gamers and leeched into mainstream society. Don't make yourself look foolish.
Old 09/13/2005, 04:00 PM
wears sex panther

Quote:
Originally posted by bbulldog
organism, have you seen the coral in person for you to accuse someone that their coral is not want it look like. went you do, then you can correct me if i'm wrong.

sounds good, as soon as the seller posts a picture of the tank with the coral in there I'll correct you

Quote:
Originally posted by Jus Reefin

I am all for looking out for my fellow Reefer ( that is one of the things I like about RC the most) but honeslty consumers need to research and be aware of different lighting schemes just like they should be aware of how to care for this animal.

I have seen SO MANY auctions for Extremely hard to care for corals that state "beginner coral very easy to care for buy now" but no ones ever calls them on it. Instead we worry more about the color of a coral then the over all care of the life form.
very true, I defiinitely agree with this one, I think sometimes the pictures jump off the page at you, whereas you have to dig a little more to find the seller telling you a goni will thrive in your tank with minimal care, or that a crocea would love your jbj nano. either way I'll drop it at that, I still feel that this was a very informative thread, and if it helped even one or two people to not get scammed then that's what rc is here for

-Nietzche
Old 09/13/2005, 04:22 PM
I have no catchy title

California... Uber alles...