Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/12/2005, 11:32 AM
Registered Member

Maybe you don't need a new Seio pump.... did you see the RK thread of the month? It's about a mod to change a Maxijet to a 'Stream' type pump:
DIY Stream
Old 08/12/2005, 12:36 PM
Registered Member

great idea, i,m into rc so props are easy to come by.i think i found a winter project
Old 08/13/2005, 10:04 AM
Registered Member

Good Morning Folks, I have to admit that I thought buying my tbs 'used' had its advantages, one of which was that I wouldn't have to hunt down the bad guys, like gorilla crabs. Wrong. The guy at the fish store told me he would take the gorrilla I had in my refugium and let it live in the shark tank, so last night I caught him and put him in a bucket. This morning a friend of mine stopped by and I showed him the crab. He looked at my tank for a few minutes and said he saw another one. Oh No! Fortunately the crab was in a rock that was near the top. I siphoned some water into a bucket and put the rock in the bucket. I was able to poke the crab out of the hole with one of those plactic feeding spears. All in all, not too much trouble. I'm hoping that will be the end of it.
Old 08/13/2005, 10:09 AM
Premium Member

Patsy...how old was the TBS rock you got? There may be lots of gorillas in it still as you can tell. Some people are really lucky and don't get many. I have tons of them...and they don't die off!
Just keep trying to get as many out as you can, and hopefully, you'll take care of the problem.
The crabs, and mantis are still better than the cirolanids! So look at it in that light, and then it doesn't seem as bad!
Old 08/13/2005, 10:23 AM
Registered Member

She started this tank in 2/03. I hope I don't have cirolanids! I had just about decided against doing this for that reason, but then, when I saw an ad in the paper for this tank and learned that it was tbs, it was just too much for me to resist!
Old 08/13/2005, 10:28 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dazld
She started this tank in 2/03. I hope I don't have cirolanids! I had just about decided against doing this for that reason, but then, when I saw an ad in the paper for this tank and learned that it was tbs, it was just too much for me to resist!
No, I wouldn't worry about them at all. It was just a point I was trying to make that there are worse things you could have gotten other than gorillas.
If she's had this rock since 2003, I'd venture to say she had lots of gorillas, since you are finding them. Just try and stay on top of it and everything will be fine!
Old 08/13/2005, 10:35 AM
Premium Member

Yippee!!!!

I was finally able to get that big gorilla crab out last night. During his nightly demolition work, he moved over to the front of the tank and on my SECOND biggest rock. I had had enough and pushed the hood out f the way, lifted the rock up and into a tub. After about 3 minutes of poking. He popped out!!!! I'm so happy as this guy was moving most of the sand out from underneath all my rocks. My QT tank has turned into my bad hitch hiker tank! I'll post some pics later this afternoon!
Old 08/13/2005, 09:23 PM
Premium Member

Wow! Everyone must be off having fun this weekend...barely any posts today. I'll post a few pics for those lurking and not posting

Cleaner Shrimp (I like these SO much more than the peppermints...he's always out in front where I can see him and much more colorful)

Zoas:

I'm not sure exactly what this is...could it be fire coral?
Old 08/13/2005, 09:25 PM
Premium Member

A few more-

My shy (but getting braver) YT:

My I-have-no-impulse-control-section of the tank

Full tank shot:
Old 08/13/2005, 09:39 PM
forever newbie

very nice pics. thanks for sharing.
Old 08/13/2005, 09:53 PM
Premium Member

Great Pics Danielle! I owe some pics today too but never had a chance to take them.

I'm having some SERIOUS control problems myself this weekend!!! I feel the need to celebrate the capture of captain distructo (otherwise known as my large Gorilla crab) but I'm just not sure what to get! So many choices, so little money.
Old 08/13/2005, 11:02 PM
Registered Member

I know. I know. I took those two gorrillas to the fish store today and dropped them off and just backed out of there. I spent over $200. there yesterday and that wasn't my only visit this week! But, I may have to go back tomorrow. I need a refractometer and I know very little about them. This store sells one for a little over $100. I looked at some online and I can get one for a lot less, but will it be as good; any good? Anybody out there with an opinion? I have a hydrometer that came with the tank and its way off. It was reading the salt at 1.022 when in fact it was 1.035, according to the fs refractometer. Also, I have a red sea berlin triple bypass skimmer which doesn't seem to be skimming a lot. The fish store I've been going to most often is using one too and the owner took me behind the scenes to take a look at his as I don't have the paperwork on mine((I found the manual online tonight). Mine is hooked up correctly. He says he's not happy with his either (but he does sell them in the store). I'm trying to let it be so it can 'slime up', but it's been over two weeks and it seems to be doing next to nothing.
Old 08/14/2005, 05:20 AM
Premium Member

Patsy, you should get the refractometer online and save yourself a good amount of money. I got mine at Premium Aquatics and it's just great. Refractometer
I don't know if you are planning a new skimmer or not, but I can highly recommend ASM. I currently have an MRC and got the ASM for the other tank, and the ASM is so much better. I don't have to adjust it like the other one, and it's a snap to clean.

Danielle, thanks for the pictures! It's always great to see pictures. My new cleaner shrimp is in the back of the tank somewhere and I usually only see it in the morning before I turn the lights on, then for the rest of the day I don't see it. I keep thinking it's gone. Bob's stays right out in front, so if I want to see what they look like, I have to go look at his.

Brian...waited all day for pictures and never saw any.
Old 08/14/2005, 05:55 AM
Registered Member

i'll back pat up on the $45 refractometer. works great. danielle, your tank looks great, just needs a few more corals!
Old 08/14/2005, 07:17 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by patsan

Brian...waited all day for pictures and never saw any.
I know. I'm a disappointment to this thread!

My daugther does not care for the 105 degree temperature we had yesterday and my wife and I didn't have much time for anything. I do plan on getting some picks today thoug as it's supposed to be cooler.
Old 08/14/2005, 07:29 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bkelley02

My daugther does not care for the 105 degree temperature we had yesterday and my wife and I didn't have much time for anything. I do plan on getting some picks today thoug as it's supposed to be cooler.
Yeah...5º cooler today...oh wow! It's still feeling like a sauna out there. I love it! (as long as I have the A/C in the house)
Old 08/14/2005, 07:32 AM
Premium Member

Quote:

I think the heat has fried my brain. I used the wrong PICS in my response! PICKS
Old 08/14/2005, 11:12 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bobt2
danielle, your tank looks great, just needs a few more corals!
YAY! That means I get to buy more corals...this time it will be Bob's fault I go on a spending spree instead of Phil's

I'm trying to decide if I want to move the fish from the QT to the main tank today. They've been in there for about a week which isn't as long as I'd like but for whatever reason my heater isn't working real well in the QT....I'm getting really large temperature swings (~8 degrees different from morning to evening). Opinions?
Old 08/14/2005, 11:32 AM
Premium Member

Hey everyone, your tanks are looking better and better all of the time! Just needed to say hello to you all. Gosh, it would take months to try and catch up with this thread! How many splits are there now?
Old 08/14/2005, 11:49 AM
Robotic Overlord

Pics and algae

I cross posted this in my thread:

And the algae marches on. Everything in the tank is doing INCREDIBLE. Some of my coral has never looked better, but the algae continues to buildup on a daily basis. My hammer coral lost one of its heads, but I knew that was going to happen from the day I put it in, that head never looked good!

In the battle against algae I have exausted everything but lights and those will be here next week!

In the mean time here are some pics of a dirty and ugly tank!!!

The anemone is just CRAZY!! I am thinking of ditching the Perc and getting a pair of Clarkii clown as they will host the anemone.

This little brain has NEVER looked better!!

The hammer coral is really looking good, you can see the lost head and I will probably cut that stalk off.

See the algae - yuck
Old 08/14/2005, 12:25 PM
Premium Member

I hope it is ok to give an update on the tank? I finally got the posting of pics down!!! LOL

This one is of the same pic, just blacked out all of the background. I just thought it looked neat! Hope you dont mind me putting these in!

Old 08/14/2005, 01:26 PM
Premium Member

I like your tank April...don't worry at all about posting pics...we LOVE pictures on this thread. The more the merrier

dwculp- that anemone is HUGE! Sorry you're having to battle algae. Did you decide on new additions to the clean-up crew yet?
Old 08/14/2005, 01:30 PM
Robotic Overlord

Quote:
Originally posted by krajacich
I like your tank April...don't worry at all about posting pics...we LOVE pictures on this thread. The more the merrier

dwculp- that anemone is HUGE! Sorry you're having to battle algae. Did you decide on new additions to the clean-up crew yet?
I know, it is gigantic....and they say anemones are hard, I say pppfffff.......

I have decided on a cleanup crew:

10 Astrea snails
7 Cerith
10 Nassarius
7 bumble bee snails
6 mini brittle stars from here
Old 08/14/2005, 01:31 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

Boy!!! I'm glad we live down here in Florida!! It's not that hot way down here!!!
Old 08/14/2005, 01:34 PM
Premium Member

It was only in the high 60s here yesterday...Montana's weird, large temperature swings. Last week it was in the high 90s. It's a bit warmer today but it sure doesn't feel like August right now.