Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 06/11/2005, 12:58 PM
Premium Member

Caught 2 gorilla crabs in a bottle trap last night. The one bigger one went right in about 15 min after lights out. I had the other one about 1 hour later.
Old 06/11/2005, 01:22 PM
Premium Member

That's great. We still need to get a new claw. I was out today and forgot all about it.
I took 10 urchins out of QT and put them in the new tank to clean if off a bit. It looks like there is a little hair algae on it in some spots, plus some of it still has silt on it and no matter how much I blow it off with the turkey baster, some settles back on the rocks, and some is down by the sand line, so I don't blow that part off. The urchins seem happy to be eating something good after a few months of nothing to speak of.

Old 06/11/2005, 02:46 PM
Premium Member

Dennis, what did you use for bait? I've tried shrimp and silversides and nothing but that one bad bug has ever gone in the trap!
Old 06/11/2005, 03:44 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bkelley02
Dennis, what did you use for bait? I've tried shrimp and silversides and nothing but that one bad bug has ever gone in the trap!
I put a whole silverside in it. Do you leave the bottle standing up or laying down. I tried a silverside before and didn't catch anything either but this time I put the open end of the bottle close to the rock that the crab was on so it didn't have to go far to get in it. I also lay the bottle down and bury it in the sand so the sand goes almost into the bottle. This way there is only a small part of the bottle that the crab has to walk on until it is too late.
Old 06/11/2005, 04:13 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by skippy2
Phil, I think your hitchiker zoa is a manjano. I have a pic of mine if you need to compare. If I am right it needs to come out.
What is a manjano and why is it bad?
Old 06/11/2005, 06:48 PM
forever newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by Nirol
What is a manjano and why is it bad?
They reproduce very rapidly and if given the chance will choke out the more desirable anemones and zoos. Here is a pic of 1 that I had:
Old 06/12/2005, 11:30 AM
Premium Member

Here is how I put the bottle trap in the tank.

and here is the first capture

Old 06/12/2005, 11:45 AM
Premium Member

Nice catch!
I just finished acclimating a few things I got for the new tank. I don't remember what they're called.
When they open up (they better open up)...I'll take some pictures.

OT...Bob & I went out yesterday, and when we pulled into the condo place where the guy lived, there was this HUGE (and I mean HUGE) turtle in the middle of the street. The area is right on the water, so there are lots of streams and ponds in the woods.
I've never seen a turtle that big crossing the road. One was run over the day before that right by my driveway, but that was the typical box turtle. This thing had to have been no lying....2 ft long. It was bigger than my puppies. PLUS it had all these prehistoric looking spikes in it's tail. I went back to look for it and take a picture, but it was almost an hour later and it was nowhere to be found. I went off the road to see if I could find it, and I was so afraid it was going to jump out at me. Guess you had to be there, but it was kind of funny.
Old 06/12/2005, 11:56 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by patsan
Nice catch!
I just finished acclimating a few things I got for the new tank. I don't remember what they're called.
When they open up (they better open up)...I'll take some pictures.

OT...Bob & I went out yesterday, and when we pulled into the condo place where the guy lived, there was this HUGE (and I mean HUGE) turtle in the middle of the street. The area is right on the water, so there are lots of streams and ponds in the woods.
I've never seen a turtle that big crossing the road. One was run over the day before that right by my driveway, but that was the typical box turtle. This thing had to have been no lying....2 ft long. It was bigger than my puppies. PLUS it had all these prehistoric looking spikes in it's tail. I went back to look for it and take a picture, but it was almost an hour later and it was nowhere to be found. I went off the road to see if I could find it, and I was so afraid it was going to jump out at me. Guess you had to be there, but it was kind of funny.
Probably a snapping turtle. They are nasty. My parents have them in their creek and pond. This guy that works out in the shop eats them.
Old 06/12/2005, 11:57 AM
Premium Member

The weather in the gulf doesn't look too bad. I hope it stays that way.
Old 06/12/2005, 03:42 PM
Registered Member

pat, the was a snapping turttle. actually pretty common here on li
Old 06/12/2005, 04:16 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by drk70
The weather in the gulf doesn't look too bad. I hope it stays that way.
Don't know about the Gulf, but we have had constant rain and thundershowers from the moisture that is being drawn up by Arlene. That ts might be gone, but she is still causing havoc here. We lost power for 2 hours yesterday evening, probably due to the heavy rains. We got to test out the generator and ran the main tank and qt on it for about 15 minutes. I just looked at the animated weather radar and there is a ton more rain the thunderstorms heading up our way.
Old 06/12/2005, 04:19 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bobt2
pat, the was a snapping turttle. actually pretty common here on li
I've never seen one that big...I've only seen small ones.
This is starting to open up now. The other thing I got hasn't opened yet. I think the other thing is the same thing Bob & Danielle got.

Old 06/12/2005, 05:44 PM
Registered Member

pat, did yoy buy these? are they in the new tank?
Old 06/12/2005, 05:48 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
pat, did yoy buy these? are they in the new tank?
Yes, I went to PW today and got them. Yes, they're in the new tank. The other one still hasn't opened yet. I think I can only see 2 small polyps opened on one side.
Old 06/12/2005, 06:06 PM
Premium Member

Looks great Pat! The second must be GSP then? Mine took about 2 hours after acclimation to open up about 80%. But they were all out the next day.

I bought something new today too!

Good use of my infamous Easter Island head, I think
Old 06/12/2005, 06:10 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by phil519
that is a poreclain crab. I had several - I'm guessing all of my smaller ones lost battles with the xanthids and mantis that used to be in the tank. I now have one single big one - I think he's quarter sized - hard to tell because he's always hiding in the rock. All I see is the flicker of his super long antennae and sometimes his filter feeding arms.
Exactly! I have not yet seen this crab, but I can see his feeding arms constantly flickering...He appears to be upside down and I think I can see his eyes and one of the big claws...Just like Danieles picture!
Has to be a quarter to a half dollar size. I took a picture but hard to see....I'll wait for a better view.
Old 06/12/2005, 06:29 PM
Premium Member

Nice addition Danielle! I bet your husband is happy that you're using his Easter Island head.

I hope that is going to open. Yes, I think it's a GSP. It has these flourescent looking flowery things on the 2 polyps I see opened. It's been in the tank for about 7½ hours now, and nothing.
The others started to open in an hour or so, and within 3 hrs, most polyps are opened.

I went to the place Bob bought his. He said he got his for $35. Well, I look in every tank, and nothing was cheaper than $49.99. Finally Brad comes over and asks if I needed help. He tells me all the stuff in the tank I was looking at was $49.99. I tell him my friend Bob was here a few weeks ago, and got one for $35. We begin to talk, and then he tells me I can have anything in any tank for $35+ a 10% discount.
There were things that weren't good for beginners though, so I stuck with easy ones. I asked him if they ever got colorful zoanthids in, and he said yes, and that they'd be getting a big shipment of them a week from Monday. So I will go back next week and hopefully get some more things.
I still want this thing to open though. It was pretty in the store. Not so pretty here.

I also am noticing some brown on my sand. It's definitly not cyano, but probably my first diatom bloom with the new tank. Some of the rocks have brown on them too, so I am going to run the lights a little less until I get a cleanup crew in there. I might need more circulation in the tank too. That's something I have to look into.
Old 06/12/2005, 07:47 PM
Registered Member

pat, it took mine a full day to open. i noticed they have new tanks that were marked 39, 49 59,. the one i bought was on the other side of thos tanks. maybe there gone now.
Old 06/12/2005, 08:04 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
pat, it took mine a full day to open. i noticed they have new tanks that were marked 39, 49 59,. the one i bought was on the other side of thos tanks. maybe there gone now.
I looked on the other side Bob. They had almost nothing in them except for the first tank on the other side that had all the acros in it.
Brad was great though...he made it good for me.
I'm glad you said it took a full day for yours to open. I was sad a little while ago thinking it didn't make it.
At least his place is nice and clean. I went to AquaHut yesterday morning to see if I could get something to put in the tank, and I just couldn't bring myself to buy any livestock there. All his frags had green hair algae really badly, plus they were really ugly, and so many pieces had aptasia on the rocks too.
I was hoping to be able to pick up a fish or two also, but his stock on them were pretty low. I don't even know what kind of fish....I wanted to see what they had and choose then. Many of what he had were not reef safe or were jumpers.....so I had to pass this time. I'm sure I will catch it right one day.
You're lucky because you live so close. It takes me 45 min. each way, so it's not somewhere I'd go to all the time. I do plan on calling next week to see if he got in any of the colorful zoas. Then I'll make a trip.
I was so mad at myself. Friday at about 5pm, I see DrMac had a sale on all their medium size zoas (except for blues), for $49 each. I didn't have the time before they closed at 6 to place an order. Now they're regular price again, and go between $59-$129. I'll wait for another sale.
Brad was very interested in the TBS. He was saying that they were going to bring it into his store, but were going to go down there and get it. He said he never spoke with anyone who actually had it. He was very interested in knowing cost per pound of the stuff. Then he wanted to know what I paid for the new rock I got. He had a little trouble believing SW only charged me $51 from CA to NY for 120lbs.
All in all, I was please with my shopping experience there today. I also picked up some frozen plankton food. I hope he gets some really nice stuff in so I can get more!
Old 06/12/2005, 08:39 PM
Premium Member

interesting - never occurred to me that maybe the hitcher was a majano aiptasia anemone. I'll try and get a better pic of it tomorrow morning.

I had a slight mini-disaster the other day. The container I had placed the xenia in somehow slipped off the suction cups. Basically one side dipped much further in to the tank than I had planned. No problem right? Just more water flow. Wrong. The maroon clown has been waiting for an opportunity to jump into the box with the xenia and it did so. But she proceeded to consume perhaps 85% of one stalk and 50% of the other stalk on the single frag. My 3 year old came running to get me and blurted out Nemo's with the "flower"!

Anyway - hopefully it recovers and grows back...otherwise what a waste of money. On top of it all I might have aiptasia...dang, and I thought I was lucky with a single button polyp.
Old 06/12/2005, 08:42 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by patsan
I've never seen one that big...I've only seen small ones.
This is starting to open up now. The other thing I got hasn't opened yet. I think the other thing is the same thing Bob & Danielle got.

A snapping turtle. Neat. Supposedly they are a lot less common these days than before all the urban growth...but I guess that could apply to pretty much everything (with maybe deer being the exception). Believe or not several years back we saw one on the henry hudson parkway in manhattan. It had a horrible gasping kinda breath - like a turtle with asthma. It also had the longest claws I'd ever seen.

Pat - those are beautiful. What are they and where did you get them?
Old 06/12/2005, 09:10 PM
Premium Member

Here is a pic of the underside of an urchin. It was going across the front glass.

Old 06/12/2005, 09:34 PM
Premium Member

Can or do the spines on an urchin change color? The color of this urchin's spines are purple now but they usually look black.
Old 06/12/2005, 10:33 PM
Registered Member

Snapping turtles huh?? I'm used to bears, mountain lions and man eating racoons here in CO. I think I would run and hide if I saw one of those turtles.....
So I set a bottle trap for my over-grown gorilla crab tonight. Hopefully he takes the bait. Those things are mean looking. I'm not too sure what I will do with him when (and if) I catch him.