Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/20/2005, 12:41 PM
Premium Member

How long does it take you to get to the airport? Did you bring your camera with you? Are the batteries charged??
Old 05/20/2005, 12:45 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by patsan
How long does it take you to get to the airport? Did you bring your camera with you? Are the batteries charged??
I have to go pick up my daughter so I'm guessing about an hour or so and that's including getting her form school. I did bring the camera and I plenty of batteries. My camera uses AA batteries so if me rechargeable ones die I can always put in regular batteries.
Old 05/20/2005, 12:57 PM
Registered Member

TBS Newbie - Help on 1st half

Hi,
I am setting up my first reef tank and am so glad that I found TBS. It was well worth the wait and was very excited to get my first shippment in this Wednesday. The rock is great!

http://www.skysystems.com/TBS/GreatRock.JPG
http://www.skysystems.com/TBS/GreatRock2.JPG

I just found this forum...yeah!...I'll get caught up tonight, but I'm in a bit of a panic, so wanted to ask for some quick help. This is my first reef, and I realize, even though I studied a lot, I don't know much at all! My shippment has been in the tank now for 48 hours. My amonia is sitting at .25 since yesterday and I'm starting to see a lot of what I think are sponges turning white. Is this normal - should I be doing something???

http://www.skysystems.com/TBS/aSample.JPG
http://www.skysystems.com/TBS/sample2.JPG

Thanks for the help!
Old 05/20/2005, 12:57 PM
Premium Member

Well best of luck. I know you've been waiting for this day to come for over 6 months now.
Old 05/20/2005, 01:08 PM
Premium Member

Re: TBS Newbie - Help on 1st half

Quote:
Originally posted by rhenson
Hi,
I am setting up my first reef tank and am so glad that I found TBS. It was well worth the wait and was very excited to get my first shippment in this Wednesday. The rock is great!
I just found this forum...yeah!...I'll get caught up tonight, but I'm in a bit of a panic, so wanted to ask for some quick help. This is my first reef, and I realize, even though I studied a lot, I don't know much at all! My shippment has been in the tank now for 48 hours. My amonia is sitting at .25 since yesterday and I'm starting to see a lot of what I think are sponges turning white. Is this normal - should I be doing something???
Thanks for the help!
Nice pictures! Thanks for sharing them with us.
As long as your ammonia is at .25, I wouldn't worry about anything yet.
Things may be bleaching out a little from your lighting. Try and remember to keep the lights on for only 5 hrs a day max right now.
Some of the sponges do change color a little bit. (not the real colorful ones, but the greyish brownish ones)
Just keep checking your ammonia levels. If by any chance the sponges are dying, you'll know soon enough by the ammonia level.
Old 05/20/2005, 01:25 PM
Premium Member

People should also remember to keep the rock out of the air. Put it in water soon as you take it out of the box as air can and will kill a sponge.
Old 05/20/2005, 03:09 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pws
Wish someone with TBS for a year + would post closeup now
Wooglin has had his tank up for over a year. He will be posting updated pics today here: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=569267

Marianna
Old 05/20/2005, 03:59 PM
Premium Member

gotta be excited - man - thats a lot of rock 270 poiunds and sand assume and water I guess - this is just part 1 boy its gotta be like have twins or something - you will be up all night

Quote:
Originally posted by drk70
I'm off to the airport in about 30 mins. Just checked with Southwest and everything seems good and the flight is actually showing that it should be at BWI a little early. I'm getting 5 boxes totaling 270 lbs.
Old 05/20/2005, 04:00 PM
My Kung Fu is strong!

Re: TBS Newbie - Help on 1st half

Quote:
Originally posted by rhenson
Hi,

Thanks for the help!
i woul take your APAT (all purpose aquarium tool) AKA turkey baster and blow the whitish stuff off , it is dying slime stuff that grows on your sponges.
Old 05/20/2005, 04:08 PM
Moved On

I have been following this thread for some time now, LOTS OF GREAT STUFF!!!!!! My husband and I REALLY wish that we had found out about TBS before we started, instead of a couple days later! Lots of great ideas and advice from everyone, too.
The TBS pictures are just amazeing and beautiful. I would REALLY love to see some more, more, more! Or maybe one of you could start off a new thread with TBS PICTURES only.
Brianna
Old 05/20/2005, 04:16 PM
Registered Member

Our ammonia is giving us a fit this time. It wasnt so bad with part 1. Last night the ammonia was at 2 again so we went thru the rocks and pilled off any sponges that looked bad. We also pulled off a sea squirt that looked bad and boy did it smell bad. Then he did the water change. He is trying to avoid pulling all the rocks out for the smell test. This morning the ammonia was at 1 so we did another water change and pulled out a cuke that looked like it finally died. We will retest the ammonia when arthur gets home from work. One of our boxes in part 2 was really nasty when we opened it. The water was a dark murky brown and stank SO BAD. The water never did settle down and clear. After we take our rocks out we let the water settle to look for any critters left in the bag. That is where i found that goby. He was in the nasty, smelly brown water and the only reason i seen him was because i was scooping the water out trying to make it more visible. If the ammonia is still up, when arthur is off from work on saturday, i for see the smell each rock test coming. That is going to be a pain since it is aquascaped and rocks are stacked on top of each other. What a pain. On a good note, so far i havent seen any bad hitch hikers. I did see that one worm that looks like a bristle worm with antenna but by the time i got my turkey baster he was gone.
Old 05/20/2005, 04:17 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kbmdale
I have been following this thread for some time now, LOTS OF GREAT STUFF!!!!!! My husband and I REALLY wish that we had found out about TBS before we started, instead of a couple days later! Lots of great ideas and advice from everyone, too.
The TBS pictures are just amazeing and beautiful. I would REALLY love to see some more, more, more! Or maybe one of you could start off a new thread with TBS PICTURES only.
Brianna
Dennis is getting his TBS in his tank now most probably.....so he'll take oodles of pictures for us and he promised he'll post them! So give it some more time, and we'll be super happy seeing nice fresh TBS pictures!
Old 05/20/2005, 04:26 PM
Premium Member

This is one of my favorite part 2 pictures.
Old 05/20/2005, 04:39 PM
My Kung Fu is strong!

BTW Pat you should change your info you are no longer "just starting":>
Old 05/20/2005, 04:47 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dood68
BTW Pat you should change your info you are no longer "just starting":>
Yeah, but I don't really have a lot of time with the actual TBS...only 5 1/2 months so far.

I just got a new computer, and now I see such a difference in the pictures posted! They're much darker on my old desktop computer! Heck, I've even lightened some up in the past just so they'd be able to be seen.
Old 05/20/2005, 05:15 PM
Moved On

Pat, I love that pic, what is the bottom middle thing and the polyp thing on the right? When we get a permanent residence(just renting right now) we're going to geta much bigger tank and do the TBS rock. Keep those pics coming Bree
Old 05/20/2005, 05:19 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kbmdale
Pat, I love that pic, what is the bottom middle thing and the polyp thing on the right? When we get a permanent residence(just renting right now) we're going to geta much bigger tank and do the TBS rock. Keep those pics coming Bree
Brain coral (manicina) and open tube coral.
I just love that picture because it has such a wide variety of life in it.
Old 05/20/2005, 05:28 PM
Premium Member

ID needed on this hitchhiker!

Hey TBS ID Pros....I found this critter on my rock and need it ID'd:

Old 05/20/2005, 05:30 PM
Premium Member

Looks to be a hellifino to me.
Old 05/20/2005, 05:38 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by patsan
Looks to be a hellifino to me.
Maybe we should ask Richard if he has seen many of these lately?
Old 05/20/2005, 05:39 PM
My Kung Fu is strong!

redrubberworm
Old 05/20/2005, 05:41 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nirol
Maybe we should ask Richard if he has seen many of these lately?
He'll probably not like you anymore if you ask him that!

Boy, I have to get used to this keyboard. It's hard to type with and I keep making mistakes.
Old 05/20/2005, 05:50 PM
Registered Member

Hi all -- just got my part 1 in the tank! Of course everything is awesome and as soon as I figure out how to post pics, I will.

I've seen one hitchiker so far, it's a small crab, looks to be reddish in color (red pinchers, not black). About the size of a dime. Should I put him in the tank?
Old 05/20/2005, 05:57 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by reefr_madniss
Hi all -- just got my part 1 in the tank! Of course everything is awesome and as soon as I figure out how to post pics, I will.
I've seen one hitchiker so far, it's a small crab, looks to be reddish in color (red pinchers, not black). About the size of a dime. Should I put him in the tank?
If it's a porcelain crab, it's a good guy.If it's a mithrax, some people will say they're not bad, but "personally", I'd only like to see the porcelains in the tank, as I've seen the mithrax munching on the tube corals.

Porcelain
Old 05/20/2005, 06:12 PM
Premium Member

Just found my first mantis. Won't hav a chance to try and get him till late tonight at best, but more likely tomorrow morning. Do they usually stay around the same spot/rock? It's got great color, but I just don't want it in the main tank.