Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 04/02/2005, 10:49 AM
Premium Member

My portion of the TBS journey

.....some rock shots

Old 04/02/2005, 10:50 AM
Premium Member

This was the largest rock in this shipment. For now, we just put it in the tank on top of the older rock, but this piece need to go in the center of the tank on the sand.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...n/P2122402.jpg

Here are pictures of the smaller pieces:

Old 04/02/2005, 10:51 AM
Premium Member

i placed this rock in my sump because i could get into all the crevices to see if i had any bad hitchers. turns out i didnt and the rock went into the display 2 weeks later.
Old 04/02/2005, 10:59 AM
Refurbished Reefer.

Why do I feel like I am listening to "Sybill".

How many people are posting under the same name here?
You are breaking my brain arrggghhh.
Old 04/02/2005, 11:05 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SeanT
We're just combining a bunch of threads we had going into one, so we can follow it without having to switch back and forth between all the other threads we were using.
Old 04/02/2005, 11:09 AM
Premium Member

all i lost in the addition was my fire shrimp.

RIP buddy

i got a small short ammonia spike which im sure was dampened by the existence of the well established rock already in the tank.

after letting the rock settle, and observing it all very close for a week or so, i tied it into the aquascaping. i wanted to build a foundation for the second half, and also create a valley effect. it was the first time i had worked wit ha tank this big, so i was sure i could pull it off.

any way here is the tank after aquascaping the first half of the TBS (it looked so clean back then )

sorry Pat, i thought you were done posting......hopefully i waited long enough to submit this one....
Old 04/02/2005, 11:12 AM
Premium Member

Re: My portion of the TBS journey

Quote:
Originally posted by H2OLUVSME
sorry Pat, i thought you were done posting......hopefully i waited long enough to submit this one....
We just got someone confused. Not a problem...I'm glad you're putting your story here too. I hope others will start chiming in now, and we can start using this thread exclusively.

We need John to start his contest "new" now....lol
Old 04/02/2005, 11:12 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SeanT

whats up Sean? hows your reef club going? we finally got a successful one down here in MB. maybe we can hook up some time on a frag swap or something.

sorry about the confusion. i was going to wait until Pat finished posting, and she stalled so i though i could go ahead and introduce my self and my tank to the thread. i guess i jumped the gun a little.
Old 04/02/2005, 11:14 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
i was going to wait until Pat finished posting, and she stalled so i though i could go ahead and introduce my self and my tank to the thread. i guess i jumped the gun a little.
My mom called....that was my stall....and I couldn't hang up on her....she would have thought the tank was more important than her!
Old 04/02/2005, 11:17 AM
Premium Member

Old 04/02/2005, 11:22 AM
Registered Member

I guess I'll jump in too !!

I think I just found a starfish in my tank. What an awesome hitch hiker.

Am I right?

Chris
Old 04/02/2005, 11:23 AM
Premium Member

in the midst of waiting for the second half i did a little lighting upgrade. i added 500w of MH to my 440w VHO.

then the second half came

okay well my second half didnt go as smoothly as the first. i got a lot bigger ammonia spike this time. it took my female clown and Kole tang very sad.

the rock was great and ll the corlas survived with noe porblems. everything settled out and this is what i had

after aquascaping and few reef club meeting (i can never turn down free corals ) my tank turned into this

after a bit more tweeking of the 'scape, a few more free corlas and few more purchases i have come to the current set up, and im very very happy with it.

Old 04/02/2005, 11:24 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisnpa
Am I right?

Chris
yes you are. i think they just filter feed with their legs in the current. i harddly ever see mine switch holes or come out to get food.
Old 04/02/2005, 11:30 AM
Registered Member

Re: My portion of the TBS journey

Quote:

after a bit more tweeking of the 'scape, a few more free corlas and few more purchases i have come to the current set up, and im very very happy with it.
& rightfully so I might add. Your tank is stunning to say the least. Hopefully mine turns out 1/4 as nice as that.

Chris
Old 04/02/2005, 11:32 AM
Premium Member

Some facts on my TBS so far:

It was an easy cycle for both parts of the shipments. Ammonia went up to 0.4 with part 1 and 0.2 with part 2.
I hardly had any die off. The few things that did die off were mainly sponges and they died either because we knocked them off trying to position the rocks or bad critters ate them.
We got 1 mantis with each shipment. Neither one made it into the tank. There are over a dozen pistol shrimp in the tank now. Most are small but one of them is 2-3" long and beautifully colored with orange and blue.
There are many gorilla crabs in the tank. I've been able to get some out, but they have to be having babies...because there are lots still in there.
I did find one cirolanid isopod a little over 2 weeks ago. I've been looking diligently for more and haven't spotted any yet.
We've added 2 clownfish to the tank and they seem very happy so far. I also have a royal gramma in QT now.

Problems I've had with the tank have been low alkalinity. I've been dosing with B-Ionic which has helped, but I do plan on changing salts from Oceanic to Kent in the very near future.
I have a microbubble problem mainly because I am using a converted wet/dry for the sump and it's just not set up properly and is lacking baffles.
I 've been a little concerned lately with the temperature of the tank, only to find my thermometer isn't very accurate..so I don't know if the lighting is adding to rising temperatures or not.
My T-5 lights are nice, but it would be much easier if I had them suspended so I can get in and out of the tank easier. That seems to be something we can change relatively easy.

If I had to do it over again, I would still get the TBS...but I'd get a glass tank over the acrylic, probably would get a 120g tank over the 90 for the extra width... and I would have a real sump with baffles. I would probably use a different brand skimmer than the MRC I am using. Don't get me wrong...the skimmer works, but I have to clean it out constantly or else gook builds up on the risers of it. Just a little bit of a hassle as far as I'm concerned.
Old 04/02/2005, 11:35 AM
Premium Member

Chris....I have dozens of the stars and just like your picture, I only see small portions of them! The only time I've seen the whole thing, is when they've been on a sponge here and there or right on the sand line in the front of the tank.
Old 04/02/2005, 11:36 AM
Premium Member

Landon....you know your scaping is my favorite in the whole wide world!
Old 04/02/2005, 11:44 AM
Registered Member

Nice pictures!
Old 04/02/2005, 12:09 PM
Premium Member

Chris and Pat, thank you both for the compliments. i have a few more minor tweeks to do, but it will be complete soon....all but the growing both of you will have just as nice tanks as i, with time
Old 04/02/2005, 12:09 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rebelk
Nice pictures!
welcome to RC, if you stick around this thread you'll see tons of great pics!
Old 04/02/2005, 12:32 PM
Registered Member

Awesome looking tanks there!
Old 04/02/2005, 12:32 PM
Invertebrate Advocate

Here is a thought...we could use all the best pictures we have of all the hitchhikers we've found on our rock and put them in a few posts? We could separate them into good and bad and I guess questionable hitchhikers? I can supply a picture of a c. isopod For the good guys I can supply some fo the clams, corals and sponges. I won't have access to my pictures until Tuesday though. I would even volunteer to have people email their hitchhiker pictures so I could post them all at once on here. Pat I think you have the best gorilla crab pictures.

B.
Old 04/02/2005, 12:35 PM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

Where did you order the live rock from and how much did it cost per pound? Thanks.
Old 04/02/2005, 12:45 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Freed
Where did you order the live rock from and how much did it cost per pound? Thanks.
www.tampabaysaltwater.com

the package price is very good, i think like $3 or so per pound. a very good deal, IMO.
Old 04/02/2005, 12:47 PM
My Kung Fu is strong!

ok here i go i ordered an 85g package (i have a 90g) not to skimp but because i had got a GARF rock that will turn into live rock. i ordered it in December of 04 and got it in January shortly after i found out my wife could not find her soul in our current home and we were moving to one where her soul might be found (only 2 miles away) i have delayed delivery of part two because of the move, good news i sold my (souless) house and now know i will be moving May 6th YEEAAH!! and here are my pics

stand being built

hard wired timers

tank with just GARF rock

part one

new additions(impatient me)

also name is Jason go by DooD