Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 01/07/2005, 10:15 AM
Registered Member

If I can borrow a good camera, I'll post some pics of my rock after almost 5 months.

Truely beautiful and still bursting with life.

The great thing about TBS rock is you don't have to go out and buy corals right away to have something beautiful to look at. I only have 4 or 5 corals and I am glad I let my tank "mature" before adding them.

Rockker

Rockker
Old 01/07/2005, 10:17 AM
Registered Member

Man, this lighting thing is going to drive me INSANE !!! Sooooo many "costly" options. Sheesh.

Old 01/07/2005, 10:27 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by H2OLUVSME
Gary, 210 in-wal, behind couch, TBS.....sounds awesome. should be a project to say the least. i want to put a tank in wall so bad, but my wife doesnt trust my carpentry. she also doesnt want a month long project, keeping our living room a mess for 8 months she knows me pretty well, id say.

Landon
Landon,

I don't have a wife to deal with anymore so the question is do I trust myself... and I don't..

I will have a professional do it. The living room will be the cleanest area. Just cut the sheetrock and frame. The mess will be in the back room where the sump and rest of the real work will take place. I'm sure that once I get started it will take a month at least. I have to tile that back room also...

Can't wait to get started... Still researching...
Old 01/07/2005, 10:30 AM
Premium Member

Day 1 Readings: Using FasTest kit

Temp - 80
SG - 1.025
pH - 7.8
Ammonia - <0.1
Nitrite - 0.2
Nitrate - 0

The pH is a little low. The ammonia was barely visible and the nitrite was not quite 0.2 I went with what was closest on the test kit.
Old 01/07/2005, 10:41 AM
Premium Member

Landon,
FedEx will be coming between 4+6 today to pick up the mantis.
Old 01/07/2005, 11:46 AM
Robotic Overlord

Quote:
Originally posted by patsan
I haven't seen much in the way of critters at all. All I can see is the rock. There is no life in the sand that I can see so far. I was commenting to my husband that I didn't see any life besides what was on the rock when I did hear a clicking sound. It didn't really dawn on me that this was the "clicking" sound I have heard so much about......then all of a sudden, I said to my husband...."OMG hear that click"? Something is hiding in that rock!!
More life will appear as time goes by. Much of the life is small and nocturnal and is in a bit of shock right now.

The clicking noise may be a pistol shrimp. Generally if you hear rapid series of clicks followed by a pause then more clicking it is a mantis trying to crack open something. If you hear single clicks every now and then it is probably a pistol shrimp. Mantis are also fairly bold, if it is a mantis he will come out. Pistol shrimps like to hide. Alot.
Old 01/07/2005, 11:48 AM
Robotic Overlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Rockker
If I can borrow a good camera, I'll post some pics of my rock after almost 5 months.

Truely beautiful and still bursting with life.

The great thing about TBS rock is you don't have to go out and buy corals right away to have something beautiful to look at. I only have 4 or 5 corals and I am glad I let my tank "mature" before adding them.

Rockker

Rockker
I agree. A friend of mine has a reef tank he has been working on for two+ years. He say my tank and couldnt believe the way it looked after just a couple months!
Old 01/07/2005, 11:57 AM
Registered Member

Pat If that loud clicking is another mantis or if you get one in your second shipment. Would you mind sending it my way?
Old 01/07/2005, 12:04 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ub32965
Pat If that loud clicking is another mantis or if you get one in your second shipment. Would you mind sending it my way?
I wouldn't mind Mike. I've been told it's probably a pistol shrimp. I haven't seen it at all yet...and there may be more than one. I hear the noise on both sides of the tank...so unless he goes back and forth quickly, there is likely more than just one.
Old 01/07/2005, 12:07 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by patsan
Landon,
FedEx will be coming between 4+6 today to pick up the mantis.
im bursting ova' here

Quote:
Originally posted by Rockker
id like to see some pics of your tank. there are a few people i follow that have established TBS refs, but they all have tons of corals covering the rock. i owuld like to see a tank where most of the rock is exposed. hopefully you can find a cam

Landon
Old 01/07/2005, 12:16 PM
My Kung Fu is strong!

hey Pat yeah i ordered my rock on 12/11/04
i figure il get the first half here then ill be moving two months later and i won't have the second half dropped off until im moved
Old 01/07/2005, 12:20 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dood68
hey Pat yeah i ordered my rock on 12/11/04
i figure il get the first half here then ill be moving two months later and i won't have the second half dropped off until im moved
Hmmm...I ordered mine right before that. I bet that phone call was to say they were going to ship.....hopefully they still have some left for you.
Did you call them back to find out what your call was for?
Old 01/07/2005, 12:27 PM
Premium Member

Hey Landon,
Have you had any trouble with photobucket? I'm trying to upload some pictures and after I click submit to upload....the page is lagging big time.
Old 01/07/2005, 12:28 PM
Moved On

dont know if any of you had watched the video TBS has up on their home page. I thought it was pretty interesting.

hell my DH even turned off the news to watch... and thats saying ALOT.
Old 01/07/2005, 12:29 PM
Premium Member

It looks so much different with the blue lights on:

Old 01/07/2005, 12:57 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sierra
dont know if any of you had watched the video TBS has up on their home page. I thought it was pretty interesting.

hell my DH even turned off the news to watch... and thats saying ALOT.
The video is interesting, but did you read the "I've got that sinking feeling again... "? http://www.tbsaltwater.com/sinking.html
It'll heep you on the edge of your seat.
Btw "DH" stands for darling husband. Right?
Old 01/07/2005, 01:15 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Wu Tang Clam
The video is interesting, but did you read the "I've got that sinking feeling again... "? http://www.tbsaltwater.com/sinking.html
It'll heep you on the edge of your seat.
Btw "DH" stands for darling husband. Right?
No in fact it stands for Damned Hairball....

but same difference right?
Old 01/07/2005, 01:23 PM
Premium Member

I was staring at the tank and trying to listen for the clicking sound and after a litttle while, I heard it. I looked at the rock I thought the shrimp may be in and can't see a thing. Then out of the corner of my eye, I think I see something in the rock. It kind of looked like a crab, so I quickly grab a step stool and turn on the light.
Sure enough, in one of the million holes in this rock was a fairly large crab! I can't see the entire body but could see the claws were black. It doesn't quite look like it is hairy, but it does have stuff all over its body. (almost like the photos I have seen of decorator crabs)
So I think I found my first clicker. I took some pictures of him, but you can't really see him because of the shadow in the hole. But he is there for sure!!
Old 01/07/2005, 01:27 PM
Premium Member

Looking fantastic Pat! The "live" sand will start to come alive either from critters in the rock or from the sand itself. My package is much smaller than yours and I had a variety of worms moving around in the sand - also feather dusters that migrated from the rock to the sand. They didn't open up until a few days had passed - so I assume that would be the same for you.

As for the clicking - good luck investigating what it is. This is part of the "experience" with TBS that some folks find thoroughly enjoyable and others aggravating! I'm of the former group.
Old 01/07/2005, 01:27 PM
Premium Member

can you get a good angle, and use the flash.....it may be a deco but i doubt that acrab is clicking.....i havent witnessed this from any of my crabs, but ive never had a gorilla, or the type of deco crab the dw has.
Old 01/07/2005, 01:31 PM
Premium Member

Gorillas are very hairy with black tips on the claws - almost like the way a dungeoness crab has black tips. Speaking of which I'm off to pike place market later to go check them out. Maybe make some dinner for the family tonight!
Old 01/07/2005, 01:39 PM
Premium Member

The flash worked somewhat better. Now look closely in the hole (the one in the center of pic) and you'll be able to see a small part of him.

Old 01/07/2005, 01:42 PM
Premium Member

could you crop that section of the pic? it would blow it up. it looks like the coloring of some porcelin crabs i have in my tank....almost.

Landon
Old 01/07/2005, 01:42 PM
Moved On

My Father lives in Sarasota Florida and is not far from Tampa.... He had offered to go to TBS for me and make a few rock selections when I am ready for my order - Is this something that TBS allows... they would still be in charge of the shipping and most of the selections but My dad wanted to help out by maybe calling dibs on a rock or 2 for me.
Old 01/07/2005, 01:47 PM
Robotic Overlord

Very hard to tell from that photo. However, it is not a gorilla crab. I could possibly be a porcelain crab or a pistol shrimp.

Porcelian crabs are constantly waving their feeding appendages out in front of them. A pistol shrimp should have one claw larger than the other.

By the way, yoo got some hidden cup corals on that piece of rock!