Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/19/2005, 06:21 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by patsan
Dennis...how are you making out with the canopy?
Is the guy going to finish it today?
Are you going to paint the walls this weekend?
Sorry for all the questions.....I am just as nearly excited for you to get going and get your TBS too!
He put one coat of the marine paint on today. It is taking a while to dry so I told him I would put a coat on tomorrow and he can do one last one on Monday. Then I can tape up the painted parts and he can spray the clear coat on the outside. That dries fast.
I'm going to try to but I have a ton of work to do. Pick a wrong time to start a new career. Now it seems I have 2 jobs, the new one and still the old one. The only good thing is it gives me extra money to pay for all my stuff.
Old 03/19/2005, 06:41 PM
Tang? What Tang!

Johnny, sounds like you like the sump the way it is almost? But now would be the time to change it if you dont, we are all guilty of once its there we just hope it gets better and it never does Food for thought. I do like the design and might take a couple ideas off of it for mine
Old 03/19/2005, 08:00 PM
Premium Member

Went to a BD party this afternoon. It's always good to come home. My sister tells me I get in a rut....I told her I like my rut if that's what it is.

Good to hear about the canopy Dennis!! The finish will come out really nice.

Johnny...that's cool about the chickens for Tyson. I eat them a few times a week.
One thing that either went over my head or I just can't piece together though is..."Let me rephrase about my stand, it's not a POJ, it's a POS! I don't know why I haven't caught it yet but the blasted overflow has 1/2 a 2 x 4 in the middle of it. The overflow and return pipes won't fit."

what is a POJ or POS?

Landon, I do remember reading about mandarins and how difficult they were to feed. It's not something I am going to try. The next fish I really have my heart set on is the YWG.

I just sat and went over the tank before I came on here, and didn't see anything I didn't want to see. Spotted both shrimp for the first time in 2 days....and again, TONS of pistol shrimp and crabs. I'll sit down again before I go to bed and see if I find anything nasty in the tank.
Old 03/19/2005, 08:04 PM
Tang? What Tang!

ummm POS means Piece of %^$# "j" = junk
Old 03/19/2005, 08:06 PM
Premium Member

Johnny....forget what I asked about the POJ and POS. I know what it is now.
Old 03/19/2005, 08:06 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Scuba Oz
ummm POS means Piece of %^$# "j" = junk
Thanks Jason....I figured it out!!
Old 03/19/2005, 08:24 PM
Tang? What Tang!

your getting there Pat!
Old 03/19/2005, 08:24 PM
Premium Member

Has RC been slow like this all day or is it just that I wasn't here to chat it up?

It's too quiet for my liking.
Old 03/19/2005, 08:30 PM
Tang? What Tang!

dont wish for more than you can hanndle!! They are colsing threads left and right after yesterday, ffeel lucky you only got splitted
Old 03/19/2005, 08:39 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Scuba Oz
dont wish for more than you can hanndle!! They are colsing threads left and right after yesterday, ffeel lucky you only got splitted
why...what's going on?
Old 03/19/2005, 08:50 PM
Registered Member

pat, on those crab pictures, the last one is red. what kind is it ?
Old 03/19/2005, 08:53 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bobt2
pat, on those crab pictures, the last one is red. what kind is it ?
This one??? If so, it's a porcelain crab.
Old 03/19/2005, 09:14 PM
Registered Member

i think thars what i'm seeing. it's under a hole in the rock. it's red but mine looks like spots not lines. the claws don't have black tips.
Old 03/20/2005, 12:01 AM
Invertebrate Advocate

Pat,

You asked about splitting up the TBS LR order. I talked to Mary and Richard(both very nice people) and they are going to mark each box with each person's name in the group order and send it all to me in one shipment.

That way we can all meet at the airport and divide up the boxes without even opening them and rush them home. Richard has been VERY patient with my multitude of questions, so very happy with the customer service so far.

I can't wait to order! Just a few more days. Of course have to wait through the backlog, but I really hope I get a macinia coral and some urchins and porecelin crabs. But if I don't get the porecelin crabs I can catch those locally free of charge and the local ones have some beautiful blue on them

Brian
Old 03/20/2005, 06:35 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by garagebrian
You asked about splitting up the TBS LR order. I talked to Mary and Richard(both very nice people) and they are going to mark each box with each person's name in the group order and send it all to me in one shipment.
That way we can all meet at the airport and divide up the boxes without even opening them and rush them home. Richard has been VERY patient with my multitude of questions, so very happy with the customer service so far.
Brian
Are you ordering complete packages or just rock?
Old 03/20/2005, 07:06 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
i think thars what i'm seeing. it's under a hole in the rock. it's red but mine looks like spots not lines. the claws don't have black tips.
Maybe it's a mithrax you're seeing. I have lots of them in the tank too.
Old 03/20/2005, 08:07 AM
Registered Member

whatever it is, it's fairly big and in the mantis rock. maybe the fw squirts killed him but he never came out? only time will tell
Old 03/20/2005, 08:14 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
whatever it is, it's fairly big and in the mantis rock. maybe the fw squirts killed him but he never came out? only time will tell
You never know...it might come out at night when you don't see it.
Like you said...time will tell.
Old 03/20/2005, 08:15 AM
Registered Member

i go down at nite at least once a week, no mantis or pods YET
Old 03/20/2005, 08:19 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
i go down at nite at least once a week, no mantis or pods YET
I thought you said one day last week you saw pods on the glass???
Old 03/20/2005, 08:22 AM
Registered Member

those are tiny, i mean pods like you had!
Old 03/20/2005, 08:26 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
those are tiny, i mean pods like you had!
?? I only have teeny tiny ones. Once I saw something I thought was a baby shrimp, and someone said it might be a pod. But other than that...I just have these microscopic things on the glass.

Now I am wondering if that "baby shrimp" thing I saw could have been the cirolanid? I doubt it...but it just entered my mind as I was typing this.
Old 03/20/2005, 08:27 AM
Registered Member

what was that big thing that you got the other day, that was what i was refering to.
Old 03/20/2005, 08:29 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
what was that big thing that you got the other day, that was what i was refering to.
OH!!! The cirolanid isopod!!
Yeah, that's good you don't have any of them!

I thought you meant the pods on the glass. Sorry.
Old 03/20/2005, 08:57 AM
Premium Member

Johnny, sounds like you like the sump the way it is almost? But now would be the time to change it if you dont, we are all guilty of once its there we just hope it gets better and it never does Food for thought. I do like the design and might take a couple ideas off of it for mine
Yeah Jason I'm not sure you know? I can see advantages of it being like it is. The reasoning behind it was to eliminate the "waterfall" I've seen others post about. If my return drops it will be a long way from the top of the fuge wall. But now that I look at it, I think you and Landon are right. The thing is WAY up off the bottom. While I deal with the stand I'll probably get a piece and add a 3rd baffle on that side. That's what I get for not checking my mail. I know also that if I don't do it now..... it'll not get done!

Pat, sorry about the POJ, POS. We had a BAD day yesterday. Stand bites, new desk in 4 boxes no instructions, no nuts and bolts. New bookcase broke out of box. There's a conspiracy I know it. Somebody's trying to make me lose my cool. It's about to work. I think I shall do violence on an inanimate object today! There I feel better now. Now who had the cheese and crackers?