Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Selling, Trading and Transaction Feedback Forums > Coral & Livestock Trading

Old 01/07/2005, 09:58 AM
Registered Member

Tossing out your macro algae?

Has anyone ever just popped their pruned macro algae into a ziplock bag and shipped it through the mail?

I see tons of threads for people offering free macro algaes from their pruned plants, but it always seems to be local only. I would think that at least something would survive the trip of two or three days, the time it takes a letter to get almost anywhere it seems. If it is going to be thrown out anyway, would it be worth a try? The most it would cost is a stamp.

The reason I ask is that of the LFS in the area, none carry much macros. At best, I see a little caulerpa from time to time, but most do not even carry that. I would love to get some cheato for my fuge, but never see it.

Anybody want to give it a try? We could try various methods of shipping (one stamp only freight). For example, dry in a ziplock, wet in a ziplock, just a bit of water in a ziplock, etc...

What do you think? Send me a message if you want to try.

A reef just isn't for the ocean anymore.
Old 01/07/2005, 06:05 PM
Registered Member

actually it ships well. I have bought "prunnings" of chaetomorphia and caulerpa off of this board before. Very reasonably priced and shiped well. Just keep your eyes peeled.

best wishes,
shawn
Old 01/07/2005, 06:56 PM
Premium Member

People are always shipping chaeto anywhere between $10-$15 per bag on this forum. I see them almost every day.
Jason
Old 01/29/2005, 08:04 PM
Registered Member

hey old mill I got cheato,cualerpora for trade or sale what you got?
Old 01/29/2005, 08:05 PM
Registered Member

opps halimeade too
Old 01/30/2005, 04:53 AM
Registered Member

I think my post was not read as I had intended. My initial thought was not what can I or someone else buy, but how can we get help from someone else for nothing. You know, what the rest of Reef Central is about.

I understand that everyone is out to make a buck and in any way possible. I can also understand shelling out a few bucks for something that is of value to oneself.

The purpose of this thread was to see if someone would be kind enough to drop some macro in a zip-lock bag and send it through the average, everyday mail. It is trimmings that are going to be thrown out and I thought perhaps a trend could start of one reefer helping out another for 37 cents.

Just a thought.

Anyway, thanks for the offer, but not at this time.

Tim

Old 01/30/2005, 09:48 AM
Registered Member

I'm interested in the cheap & fairly fre way! This stuff is routinely pruned and thrown away, so why not help each other out.

I am looking for some diversity. I already have some chaeto, some flat-type caulerpa and some "razor" caulerpa. I can send someone the razor type, a little chaeto and maybe a little of the other also. I am looking for any other varieties, such as red or grape especially! Let me know what you have! thanks, jamie
Old 01/30/2005, 11:44 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OldmillXxX
I think my post was not read as I had intended. My initial thought was not what can I or someone else buy, but how can we get help from someone else for nothing. You know, what the rest of Reef Central is about.

I understand that everyone is out to make a buck and in any way possible. I can also understand shelling out a few bucks for something that is of value to oneself.

The purpose of this thread was to see if someone would be kind enough to drop some macro in a zip-lock bag and send it through the average, everyday mail. It is trimmings that are going to be thrown out and I thought perhaps a trend could start of one reefer helping out another for 37 cents.

Just a thought.

Anyway, thanks for the offer, but not at this time.

Tim
Well I traded for my macros, I have yet to throw anything from our tank out. Except bubble algae, Anyone interested in a trade? Will trade my abundant supply of bubble algae for zoo's or even sps frags.

As for Something for nothing, you get what you pay for. There is a lot of good advice here but there is also a lot of bad advice as well, but what the hey it's free so take what you can and chuckle at the rest.

For what is worth, I have sent Coraline algae scrapings thru the mail for free. Haven't tried to send macros anyway but priority mail, a little more then 37 cents. As for just giving away the macros, I would if the person didn't have anything to trade for them and they really needed them, but hey most people won't accept charity. I guess that is changing though.
Old 01/30/2005, 11:48 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jamesonkh
I'm interested in the cheap & fairly fre way! This stuff is routinely pruned and thrown away, so why not help each other out.

I am looking for some diversity. I already have some chaeto, some flat-type caulerpa and some "razor" caulerpa. I can send someone the razor type, a little chaeto and maybe a little of the other also. I am looking for any other varieties, such as red or grape especially! Let me know what you have! thanks, jamie
I would trade you some grape and some red stuff and some halimdea and some turf , for that flat and razor. fuge has a bagie of mixed ready to go monday if your intrested pm me.
Old 02/01/2005, 04:18 AM
Macro Algae Connoisseur

ya i have some red grape too its not caulerpa tho
Old 02/02/2005, 02:11 PM
Premium Member

I have sent out some for the cost of shipping to help some one out, but this time of year it is risky at best because I am not going to go buy heat packs and shipping it for 37 cents is not going to arrive alive most likely.

In the spring and fall it might be OK but not when the temps are as low as they are right now. You can figure shipping at $8 bucks which compared to what I had to pay for my first 2 bunches of chaeto is cheap, especially when one of them was dead with in 2 days. Nothing is free in this hobby and I knew that coming in, I have just learned to be a really good shopper. Good luck
Old 02/08/2005, 07:42 PM
Macro Algae Connoisseur

thats true but with an expensive hobby like this, its better to give than to recieve anyway. i don't mind giving what i can if it doesn't cost me anything. i have some red grape algae (not calurpa) if anybody wants some in the future. i'll give but you have to pay for shipping.

sam
Old 02/10/2005, 08:27 AM
Registered Member

Just to prove to everyone that it can be done - wanted to let you know that hwyman and I made a successful macroalgae swap via padded envelope, with the macro in moist paper towels and placed in a baggie.

This proves several things - you can send it cheaply, you can get new stuff and add diversity to your tank cheaply, and you can make good contacts with fellow hobbyists for just the cost of your time.

It did cost slightly more than 37 cents though, but just a few dollars is much better than the 10.00 or 15.00 that others charge for macroalgae. So, I disagree with some that say it is accepting charity or trying to get something for nothing. However, I do suggest that with a minimum of time and effort and cost, you can..... that's what a trade is all about! Now, who's next!!??
Old 02/10/2005, 09:21 AM
Got Clams?

Old Mill, I do understand your question, and I know lots of people locally that will give it to you free, but to actually send it for free, is not realistic. I have seen many threads with free macr, you pay shipping which I think is more than can be expected on here. The days of good will, are pretty much over with a few exceptions. If you have a local reef club, check with them as they probably would have some for free.
Old 02/10/2005, 09:34 AM
Registered Member

Talking THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

This is exactly what I thought this thread was going to be about...fellow reefers wanting to help out another for little of nothing.

I'm sorry if I seem gruff, but I'm tired of everyone thinking that they need to get theirs instead of just donating a couple bucks to help someone else out. I have seen thread after thread of someone selling macro for "cheap". As I said before, most of the macro used for nutrient export is cut back and thrown away. I just figured it would be a great opportunity (if it could be done and we have just been told that it CAN) to drop it in the mail and help someone else out. If it doesn't survive, big deal. It was going to the trash anyway, right?

Here in the upper midwest, macros are not the easiest to find. My LFS consists of Petco and Pet Parade, both of which do not sell macro algae. I'm sure there are plenty of other reefers that are passionate about the hobby that fall into this category of limited resources. Yeah, we can order online or drive 500 miles and get some, but it comes with a price.

I know good hearted people exist yet in this bigger, better, faster world we live in and I thought this thread might just bring a few to light.

Thank you very much hwyman and jamesonkh! It is people like you that move this hobby forward and get the rest of us involved.

Thank you
Thank you
Thank you!

Tim