Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 01/09/2008, 04:02 PM
Registered Member

Skunk Cleaner Shrimp Eating Snails?

I have five skunk cleaner shrimp (Lysmata amboinensis) in my 155G reef. A couple of times now I've seen a shrimp (not necessarily a particular one, but I can't tell them apart), with a snail turned over on its back apparently eating the snail. What I'm hoping to find out is if they are eating dead snails or attacking live snails.

The first time I assumed it was simple a dead snail, but I've seen it a couple of times now in the last few weeks and since I'm not watching the tank all the time its probably happening when I'm gone too. I can't think of any reason that the snails would be dying off either as everything in the tank looks good. This tank has been up and running for about six months.

Water parameters as follows:
pH: 8.3
temp: 80F
Ammonia: undetectable
Nitrite: undetectable
Nitrate: undetectable
SG: 1.025

Any ideas?
Old 01/09/2008, 04:18 PM
Registered Member

Dont know for sure, never heard of cleaner shrimps killing snail. i have 4 of them same as yours and dont bother anything in my tank except stealing food. Hope somebody else can help you. Good luck.
Old 01/09/2008, 04:45 PM
RC Mod

I haven't heard of that being a problem, either, but I suppose if the shrimp gets hungry, it might prey on snails. Most shrimps aren't very picky about what they eat, and you might have gotten a particularly predatory individual.
Old 01/09/2008, 04:54 PM
Premium Member

I have had the same problem. But I only notice that the cleaner shrimp only go after a sick or newly added snail.

Now when I add a snail I always make sure he is attached himself to the side of the glass so if a shrimp does come around he can pull down tight and seal himself off from the shrimp.

But this only happens to new or sick snails. They leave the others alone.
Old 01/09/2008, 05:24 PM
Premium Member

I've never seem mine go after a healthy snail. Are you sure they aren't trying to clean it? I'd imagine that almost anything in the tank would go after an overturned snail at some time. They seem kind of like MRE's for fish tanks...
Old 01/09/2008, 06:28 PM
Premium Member

After adding my cleaner shrimp, nothing else, I have lost all three of my conch snails, more recently a margarite, and this week a turbo! Now, I have to admit that I wondered if a nassarius had come up after the conches. Something is up in my tank and I believe it's the inverts responsible.
Old 01/09/2008, 07:00 PM
Registered Member

Most margaritas are from cold waters and die within 3-4 months in our tropical aquariums. It may have died naturally....

Dan

"Sanity? What would I do with something as useless as that?"
-Kennpachi
Old 01/09/2008, 08:27 PM
Registered Member

Thanks very much for the replies. I've never seen cleaner shrimp be aggressive either. I suppose if I don't see the water quality going down then there are still at least enough doing their jobs.
Old 01/09/2008, 11:05 PM
Registered Member

do u have any powerheads in your tank by any chance or something that might flip snails over? my snails kept going onto my powerheads, got sucked up a little by the intake and then dropped on their backs in the sand. they couldn't turn upright and it was a feast for my cleaner shrimp.
Old 01/09/2008, 11:21 PM
clams are your friends.

My skunk cleaner shrimp pair used to go on rampages and murder dozens of stomatella snails at a time. Really made me mad so I got a flame hawkfish.

No more skunk cleaner shrimp.