Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/11/2007, 10:13 AM
Premium Member

Tunze SUCK!!!!

Just wondering if any one else has problems with Tunze Stream pumps? Over a year ago I purchased (2) 6200"s. Within 2 weeks both quit working. I tried new impellers and cleaning nothing worked.

I have pumps on my system for 21/2 years with no problems. This includes a Penguin 1140 for 22.00. That feeds my reactor.

Tunze has it great hiding behind the distributors. The disturbers say you have to contact Tunze. But you can't get ahold of them. they don't answer e-mails.

I know I an idiot but I bought (2) 6201 to replace the old pumps... Guess what one quit last night after only 30 days.. Here we go again....

The only difference with the new pumps is no alarm sounds to alert you of there malfunction..

Why does a pump the cost 505.00 fall apart and quit working after 30 days? When the little 22.00 Penguin has been running for 21/2 years???

If any one from Tunze wants to answer, feel free. Or keep hiding behind your distributors...

One ****ed off customer....
Old 12/11/2007, 10:16 AM
Registered Member

I would be livid, I would be leaving message after message with them. You just spent over $1500 for 3 pumps and now your out? I dont think so, They are making a great name for themselves. I hope you get your money back.
Old 12/11/2007, 10:22 AM
Non Paying Premium Member

Location: Los Angeles(Silverlake) & Monrovia (next to Pasadena)
have you asked Roger in the Tunze forum about this? i am sure he would fix your pumps that same day they come in... he did for me...

best customer service in the industry i think...

Want to see my tank? click on my Red House..
Old 12/11/2007, 10:33 AM
Registered Member

Call Roger, he has always treated my customers and myself right. I’ve never had a problem contacting him nor have I ever had a problem with getting things fixed or replaced through him.
Old 12/11/2007, 10:40 AM
Registered Member

This thread is the compelte opposite of my experiance and many others. Check the Tunze forum.
Old 12/11/2007, 10:48 AM
Premium Member

I missed the forum, in my frustration... I'll post Roger, I e-mailed Tunze direct and got no answers... Still (4) out of (6) pumps have failed.... While the (10) other various pumps on my system keep working?????
Old 12/11/2007, 10:53 AM
Registered Member

I have owned a bunch of Tunzes, and I have needed to service most all of them at some point in time. Each time I needed assistance, I simply contacted Roger and he took care of me. He can usually get you new parts, free of charge, within 1 week.

Brad
Old 12/11/2007, 11:03 AM
Premium Member

I replaced the impellers, cleaned the pumps, they didn't need it. Switched the multi-controller inputs. Also changed the transformers with the working pumps. Covered all possible combinations, nothing worked... I was amazed to find the 30 day old 6201 failed last night...

That why I posted to see if it's just me?? I have (10) other various pumps running on my system for 2 1/2 years with no problems..

This is like the same thing I went through with Mag drive pumps. There product just won't hold up... I quit using them 3-4 years ago.. They didn't cost 505.00 per pump though..
Old 12/11/2007, 11:09 AM
Coral Assassin

I've had my share of problems with the new nanostream pumps, but Tunze's (specifically Roger's) customer service has kept me happy with all of my tunze purchases. Whatever the problem is, I'm sure he'll work with you to make you happy. Sometimes he takes a day or two to get back to you; he's a very busy man, just be patient.
Old 12/11/2007, 11:18 AM
Premium Member

Yeah, I can see where he would be busy... I've had 3 of 6 pumps fail. If this is the norm, I'd be busy also...
Old 12/11/2007, 11:25 AM
Roughneck

I've never had any problems with my Streams or any Mag drive pumps. Some of the Mags are still going strong after 10 years. Maybe it's user error.
Old 12/11/2007, 11:41 AM
Premium Member

Yup, user error...

Funny thing is I only errors on certain pumps. I must have a better understanding of the pumps that contuin to perform, all (10) of them....

What about the (3) Tunze Stream that are still working??? Heck 3 of 6 isn't a bad percentage. I make millions in major league baseball with that batting average.
Old 12/11/2007, 11:45 AM
Registered Member

Ricks, my Tunze nano 6025 that I bought from Marine Depot in August broke. They said today they would call Roger for me. They told me he's excellent about customer service. I was told that if I do not hear from his his number is 512-833-7546.
Old 12/11/2007, 11:45 AM
Registered Member

Doubt its the norm but one of my buddies always complains about how cheap the nanostreams are put together. The plastic is so thin and brittle he is always breaking the mounts.

Granted he doesnt seem to be the most gracefull with them but you could toss a koralia against a wall and it would probably still work. Plastic doesn't need to be brittle to be inexpensive.

Hope you get your problem resolved.
My Turbo Honda -> Click little red house.
Friends don't let friends buy from Front Range Aquatics
Old 12/11/2007, 11:46 AM
Premium Member

Roger from Tunze is on it... I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for listening, I feel better.

Rick
Old 12/11/2007, 11:47 AM
U.S.M.A.S.

My streams have been running for several years now and so have my waveboxes. I will not buy an other namebrand pump. Tunze is the best, Roger is the best. The only problem I have had is one Stream made a noise and Roger got me fixed up with a new part right away.

Are you sure you put it back together right?
Why do you say they hide behind there distributors? Roger is the only US distributor and he stands behind the products he ships 100%. That is not hiding in my book.
Where did you buy the pumps, many retailers should help you too or let you return them if you are having problems.
Old 12/11/2007, 11:52 AM
Master of Funk

I have to say that I have found Tunze products and Rogers service top notch. I recently had a minor issue with a 6060 that is out of warantee and he offered to replace the driver free of charge. Here is a quote from the PM he sent me.

"That is very interesting. It is worth a try but I also don't want you to be displeased and I will swap out the motor for one with the new non conductive plastic if you prefer."

I would give him a chance to make it right for you. He cant fix your issues if he doesn't know about them.
Old 12/11/2007, 12:00 PM
Premium Member

One of the people I purchased a set of pumps from didn't know where to go. It wasn't Champion, I tried there web site. And received no answer. In my haste I didn't check to see Tunze forum. That's my fault, but I was a little upset when the new pump failed. I have over 3,000.00 of Tunze pumps and half don't work..

As far as operator error, could be. I used a lot of pumps over 20 years and always try several times before I give up. I didn't see to many different way of re-assembling the pump. You only have 3 pieces for the impeller and that includes the inside bushing brush, the upper bearing and the o-ring.. I replace all and made sure nothing was blocking the impeller..
Old 12/11/2007, 12:03 PM
Premium Member

Hmmmm, Non conductive plastic??? Now that an interesting quote...
Old 12/11/2007, 12:08 PM
U.S.M.A.S.

So you purchased them some a person and not a online store?

Could that be the problem!
Old 12/11/2007, 12:09 PM
RC Staff & Thread Pirate

If you look on the tunze.com site under "Technical Assistance" it directs you to the forum on RC. I believe that current manuals list it as well.

Nuclear winter solves global warming.
Old 12/11/2007, 12:22 PM
Master of Funk

Quote:
Originally posted by ricks
Hmmmm, Non conductive plastic??? Now that an interesting quote...
The older 6060s used a graphite part that can act as a ground probe. This is not a problem most of the time, but it was causing an issue in my tank. The new ones dont use graphite, but rather plastic.

My point was really that he was willing to replace an out of warrantee pump to solve my issue. I dont know too many companies that would go so far above and beyond.
Old 12/11/2007, 12:48 PM
Premium Member

Marinelife, it was a LFS that I trade SPS for supplies.

Beerguy, I have all the manuals and boxes.

poppin-fresh, We'll have to see how tunze and Roger work out.

like I stated before I kinda went off when the one month old pump stopped last night. And 930 of the (60 quit working..
Old 12/11/2007, 12:48 PM
Premium Member

(3) of the (6) I need typing lessons
Old 12/11/2007, 12:51 PM
Registered Member

My problem has already been resolved by Roger. I'm very happy with the service.