Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers

Old 01/11/2007, 05:03 PM
Registered Member

i see
Old 01/24/2007, 11:29 AM
Registered Member

for timmy good luck with your new coral

click the red house to see pics of my tank....the better pics are at the bottom :D
Old 01/24/2007, 04:43 PM
Registered Member

What kind of lighting do they need?
Old 01/24/2007, 05:37 PM
rainbow sherbet stylo...

Quote:
Originally posted by thecichlidpleco
ime lighting is inconsequential; ive had some directly under 10kxm250wmh with polyps out under the light, also in caves getting no direct light

meat and flow are what matter to them.
Old 01/25/2007, 12:42 AM
Registered Member

twon is correct they are non photosynthetic so light makes no difference to them. i will be getting mine soon and have been doing alot of research so it would be great to see more pics and hear more real world experience
Old 01/25/2007, 11:06 AM
Registered Member

I agree also they will come out under lights , but only if they get the right flow and food .
Old 01/25/2007, 12:17 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dadonoflaw
twon is correct they are non photosynthetic so light makes no difference to them. i will be getting mine soon and have been doing alot of research so it would be great to see more pics and hear more real world experience

Just ask what you want to know and i will tell you to the best of my ability my real world experience.

click the red house to see pics of my tank....the better pics are at the bottom :D
Old 01/25/2007, 12:21 PM
Registered Member

Oh yeah and here are some more pics these are some real old pics from when i first transfered into this tank while my fuge was cycling before the coraline took over the back of the tank. Funy to look at i haven't seen these in a while. Tell me if you want newer pics, I can go take some.

I can take more if you want them

Old 01/29/2007, 12:54 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thecichlidpleco
EXACTLY what the other say. Sun/Black/Tubastraes Corals are non photosynthesis, they do not consume litting to grow. Their living spot in the wild are dark caves that filled with food to eat most of the day. Sun coral mainly thrive buy food, good water element quality. Needs plenty of caclium to built there skeleton to grow and survive.

In captive grown, must have the correct calcium level, plenty off food each polyp, and prefered dark area away from litting if possible.
Old 01/29/2007, 10:41 PM
Registered Member

I have my suncorals at the top of my tank under my hang on filter and in the direction of the powerhead and just started to feed mine with a turkey baster. So far no problems at all. My Orange hasn't been out fully for about a week tho. I feed them about everyother day. I was thinking of just doing suncorals and only corals in the same family as them.
Old 02/01/2007, 07:53 PM
Registered Member

Qckwzrd, Well how many gallon is your tank? What filters do you have?
Old 02/01/2007, 08:56 PM
Registered Member

I have a 15 gallon with a hang on filter that goes up to 60 gallons. An emperor. No skimmer but may be getting one soon.
Old 02/02/2007, 01:21 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dippin61
mine went from 15 heads, to 150+, in about 2 years.
mine were fed every other day, 5-10 mysis each head.
Wow! I really want to see polyps, capable to eat so much each! Do you have a pictures during feeding?
Polyps of mine become bigger after 6 months - but maximum three Ocean Plankton are fitting in.

BTW, found interesting all-in-one article. Also, Easy way to get sun coral (Tubastrea) spawning. Some of the pdf links here shows tank, filled by grown sun corals.

Way to have many (too many) sun corals, not big, although:

- parent.
Link to my thread with sun spawns.
Old 02/04/2007, 04:36 PM
Registered Member

Dendro982 great link(s) I still don't understand how to make the suncoral reproduce. They were saying about turning the lights out and dropping the water level...If someone can explain it let me know.
Old 02/05/2007, 03:47 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
and after caring out this experiment three to four times at the interval of 10 to 15 days I reached the conclusion that when the water movement is absent the sun corals do tend to spawn. (wetweb)
Could be the same for my sun colony. Water movement is stopped 2-3 times daily for a feeding, sometimes forgot to turn on after 10-15 min, so the maximal interval without water movement was 30 min.

Have a big skimmer (rated 250gal, on 90g tank), still babies appear regularly, but in small quantities - total may be 15. But the oldest from them already are growing side polyps and are clusters of polyps, instead of single polyps.

BTW, with low or no phosphates they expands much better. And frogspawn, touching them, kills them, leaving bare skeleton.

Water drop I have during water changes (side sump), bu it's small and not affects sun coral, which is much lower, that a "tidal" level.

When I kept sun coral in 1g (practically feeding chamber, but - with flow "on" almost all the time, Red Sea nano-filter. Water was 100% changed after feedings, old water from the nearby tank was used), it spawned onto the contracted chili coral with some microalgae film on it - it created layer, as a dirt. A lot more babies, as you can see. My guess, that live rock (not a sterile bare rock) could serve the same purpose.

Just feed well, keep polyps plump, so it will believe, that there will be enough food for a spawns too, IMHO
Old 02/05/2007, 07:30 PM
Registered Member

My frogspawn hit my blacksuncoral and I seen the white skeleton, after 4 days I can see i starting to heal up. Since that has happened I now plan on having just suncorals in my tank and some zoas/polyps at the bottom. My orange suncoral has started to spawn, I see lil clear suncorals a few inches down the rock. I do shut my pumps off but its for about 10 mins. I'll try and shut them off for 30 mins and see what happens in a few months.
Old 02/06/2007, 12:29 AM
Premium Member

dendro--

From what I've read, most coral larvae will not settle on sterile anything. Oftentimes, they will come down and "taste" the substrate looking for some sort of chemical cues. Some it's a (low) growth of algae, some it's coralline.

But, I think that you are certainly correct about conditioning your corals the way the fish breeders condition their broodstock. If there's barely energy to survive there won't be energy for reproduction.

"And chase the frothy bubbles, / While the world is full of troubles. . . ." --W. B. Yeats
Old 02/06/2007, 07:47 AM
Registered Member

I'll second that: feed coral well, and you can see on the photos above on what kinds of surfaces they settled in my tanks. But: I have well-fed tanks with nitrates and phosphates, the LR is covered by green film of microalgae. May be give them some rock, covered by organics?
And 15 min is, probably, enough. In 3-4 months you may see the new corals. If your colony is small, they may need time to grow the bigger colony (wild guess, my colony was reasonably big at purchase). Again, feeding helps.
Good luck!
Old 02/06/2007, 10:21 AM
Registered Member

Dendro, do you have any pics you can post of your coral larvae attached after spawning?

The reason i ask is i think my sun spawned but not sure? I found about 5 small(smaller than a bb)orange dots on my LR. Looking closely i can see they are polyps of some sort but cant tell if they are suns or something else. They are way to small for my camera to get a remotely decent pic of so was hoping maybe you had some I could compare.

Thanks
Old 02/06/2007, 11:02 AM
Premium Member

I have some photos if you're interested:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=949593

That sounds exactly like what mine looked like. Very, very small orange dots. Mine were the same shade as the mother colony.

"And chase the frothy bubbles, / While the world is full of troubles. . . ." --W. B. Yeats
Old 02/06/2007, 11:16 AM
Registered Member

Thanks!

Similar but i'm still not sure. Mine dont seem to have much of a base. When the polyps aren't out, these are just spots with nothing showing. When the polyps arent out it almost just looks like orange corraline algae
Old 02/06/2007, 09:23 PM
Simply Complicated

Blakheart: That is just beautiful. I have one but it never seemed to open that far. It is one of my favorite corals! What if anything did you feed it that might be different from others?
Old 02/07/2007, 08:30 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sufunk
Dendro, do you have any pics you can post of your coral larvae attached after spawning?

The reason i ask is i think my sun spawned but not sure? I found about 5 small(smaller than a bb)orange dots on my LR. Looking closely i can see they are polyps of some sort but cant tell if they are suns or something else. They are way to small for my camera to get a remotely decent pic of so was hoping maybe you had some I could compare.
Unfortunately, not. I had no idea about spawning sun corals, thought that the chili coral comes to the life.
But you can see them in another thread:
Orange bugs?
Will try to find later the first photos of mine - were as closed dots of yellowish color.
I just updated my thread about sun coral babies - they are making own colonies.
Old 02/07/2007, 10:11 AM
Registered Member

Here is all I could find (not much, few photos - twice weekly water changes for sun, setting 90g tank, reanimating open brains...):
Apr 27, sun and chili first days together in Nano-Cube 6g:

Since first days of May sun was in own 1g feeding chamber, Aug 9 - chili was added to feed it up a little:

The last is close-up, the yellow dots could be already sun spawns, after 3 month ago contact in NC6.

After few days chili was moved back, because failed to feed. Sun babies are visible:
Old 02/08/2007, 07:19 PM
Registered Member

What feeding chamber is that, dendro? Where does that locate in the tank? or is it seperately?