Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers

Old 11/14/2006, 08:07 AM
Geek

A. Hole.. Is that the scientific name? ;p
Jeff's LE A. Hole for sale $$$$$$$$
hehehe
Old 11/14/2006, 03:45 PM
Premium Member

I have one of these from Jeff's and I think this is 100x better than the $2k one.
Old 11/15/2006, 02:42 AM
Registered Member

lol christie! =)

40 breeder, BM 150 Skimmer, 25 gallon sump/fuge, Aqualight Pro, Closed loop with Reeflo Sequence Snapper and Vortech.
Old 11/27/2006, 01:34 PM
Premium Member

Re: insane

Quote:
Originally posted by MarineGirl411
It looks like a turd.
Do people really have money to blow on something like that?<------yes but it does look like a turd and i wuld not add it to my tank..
Sheesh! If so, what is your job?<-----ceo
What do you do for a living?<-----work like you do (commidety trader)
Do you charge it? <-----no, pay cash for almost everything most people who can afford to own something like this ugly as it is, or a million dollar house for all that matters normally pay cash, its proven why pay intrest when you have the money?
I've got some cat turds over here for ya, I'll sell for 10 cents a plop.<-----my cats will do just fine thanks anyway lol
Come on! 2 grand? Why don't you feed the homeless or save some shelter animals? <-----i do both including donate to my chruch!!

Old 11/27/2006, 01:36 PM
Premium Member

Re: insane

Quote:
It looks like a turd.
Do people really have money to blow on something like that?<------yes but it does look like a turd and i would not add it to my tank..
Sheesh! If so, what is your job?<-----ceo
What do you do for a living?<-----work like you do (commodity trader)
Do you charge it? <-----no, pay cash for almost everything most people who can afford to own something like this ugly as it is, or a million dollar house for all that matters normally pay cash, its proven why pay interest when you have the money?
I've got some cat turds over here for ya, I'll sell for 10 cents a plop.<-----my cats will do just fine thanks anyway lol
Come on! 2 grand? Why don't you feed the homeless or save some shelter animals? <-----i do both including donate to my chruch!! boy that is a ugly coral!

Old 11/27/2006, 02:52 PM
Registered Member

Hi,
I never meant to offend anyone. That is cool you are a ceo. That is wonderful that you donate to your church as well. It is extremely wonderful you help shelter animals and the homeless. That is wonderful god bless you. I was just a little outraged to see a coral going for that much. If I had the money to buy a home with just cash, then I would. Most people don't. I have seen a lot of selfish people in the world that are all out for themselves, without helping others. It just makes me a little upset. The rich have to remember those that are barely able to scrape by and those that can't. I've met many that don't care. I'm glad you do. I was a little frustrated when I saw that coral. Sometimes I should keep things to myself. I'm sorry if I upset anyone.

40 breeder, BM 150 Skimmer, 25 gallon sump/fuge, Aqualight Pro, Closed loop with Reeflo Sequence Snapper and Vortech.
Old 11/27/2006, 07:43 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
I was just a little outraged to see a coral going for that much.
Why are you outraged? I don't quite understand this. Yes it's super expensive (and kinda ugly IMO). It's not hurting anybody by sitting there and being expensive. It's not an item someone needs to survive, and it's not doesn't require a steady diet of condors.

Yeah it's expnesive, and perhaps they will make a high profit margin, but for everyone of these high priced corals, there are hundreds of inexpensive, nice looking, captive bred, and easy to propogate corals available for reefers to chose from.
Old 11/27/2006, 08:34 PM
Premium Member

i did not take offence but, i was merely trying to answer some of your questions i hope you did not take offence by the answers and i certainly was not trying to flaunt that i had money of any sort, just merely stating the facts. not everyone who has money acts like a stuck up snob and some worked very hard to get there... i totally agree that is a UGLY piece and is way over priced! also, it sure does look better in there tank then mine! i don't care how much money you have if you buy something for your tank that costs that much and it does not do well..........it hurts and yes you should have donated it instead......... i have previously spent a large sum of money on a rare fish to have it not do well in my tank... luckily it did not die and i was able to re-sell it. that was the first and last time i will ever put that kind of money in a fish..
Old 11/27/2006, 11:20 PM
Registered Member

Okay, outraged was not the right term. Maybe flabbergasted. It makes me feel bad when there are others out there in the world suffering and some people will sell these corals for $2,000 grand? That's all. I know not all rich people are snobs. I never meant to make it seem like that, if I did. We are all equal here on earth. I just feel very bad for poor people in the world. Abused, neglected, homeless people and animals. Or those dying from incurable disease. I just hope and pray they pay it forward if they sell that coral. I've always tried to do that in my life, even though I have very little. I've suffered in life, as have very many. Sometimes life does not seem fair. If you go to a very poor country you will understand. Mexico in particular is one of the poorest countries. It is sad. Having to sleep on a dirt floor, children selling gum to buy food for their family, not having enough food, bathrooms, water, shelter. Us everyone at times can take things for granted. All of us have done it in life. I was just sad to see something so expensive go up for sale. Please no one get upset with me. I was just saying how I felt.

Old 11/27/2006, 11:50 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Okay, outraged was not the right term. Maybe flabbergasted. It makes me feel bad when there are others out there in the world suffering and some people will sell these corals for $2,000 grand? That's all. I know not all rich people are snobs. I never meant to make it seem like that, if I did. We are all equal here on earth. I just feel very bad for poor people in the world. Abused, neglected, homeless people and animals. Or those dying from incurable disease. I just hope and pray they pay it forward if they sell that coral. I've always tried to do that in my life, even though I have very little. I've suffered in life, as have very many. Sometimes life does not seem fair. If you go to a very poor country you will understand. Mexico in particular is one of the poorest countries. It is sad. Having to sleep on a dirt floor, children selling gum to buy food for their family, not having enough food, bathrooms, water, shelter. Us everyone at times can take things for granted. All of us have done it in life. I was just sad to see something so expensive go up for sale. Please no one get upset with me. I was just saying how I felt.
At the same time, there are poor people who can't afford shoes, but yet we have money to spend on reef tanks. Some people would be flabbergasted to know that you are keeping their food as pets.

What might appear poor to you is wealthy to some. It's all relative.
Old 11/28/2006, 01:02 AM
Registered Member

i'd still like to know how a hybrid can be called a 'scolymia' (no 'scolyima with 'x' 'var.'' ?, heh)-

a hybrid is a CROSS between various species, like a mule is a hybrid between a horse and a donkey-(from a web dictionary: "an organism that is the offspring of genetically dissimilar parents or stock; especially offspring produced by breeding plants or animals of different varieties or breeds or species )there some 'used car salesman pitch' going on here, folks, and some sucker's gonna get cleaned out hook line and sinker for what MIGHT be a nice color morph of a fairly common coral

what coral species can hybridize with another ? and how did they even verify a breeding/cross between two 'varieties' (if there ARE such things) of scoly?
Old 11/28/2006, 01:38 AM
Registered Member

Ever been to Mexico? That country is very poor. My father grew up there. Being poor is something he's known. I understand poor. We've been poor before. I praise God for bringing us through to the good times. At least better times. I understand shoes to someone is very important. Having a reef tank is yes a luxury. Tacocat, I am currently not keeping anyone's food. I have yet to set up my tank. I am not trying to argue here. That is what I said in my last post. I am not trying to offend anyone here. So like I said before I apologize if I did.

Vitz I agree with you.

Old 11/28/2006, 01:57 AM
Premium Member

marinegirl411,
no one is mad at you i can assure u of that! we all agree with you on the issue. you seem to be a very kind and nice person at heart. the world would be a better place if everyone thought the way you do. but you are correct there are people out there who think that they are better then everyone else.
Old 11/28/2006, 02:17 AM
hamster

Quote:
Originally posted by vitz
i'd still like to know how a hybrid can be called a 'scolymia' (no 'scolyima with 'x' 'var.'' ?, heh)-
what coral species can hybridize with another ? and how did they even verify a breeding/cross between two 'varieties' (if there ARE such things) of scoly?
You're spot on, except that Scolymia is a genus, not a species. Scolymia contains many species (lacera, cubensis, etc.) So a hybrid between two scoly species can, as you may guess, be called a Scolymia hybrid. I don't know how they'd verify a cross, but it's likely that species within the same genus would be able to cross occasionally, just as other animals can as with your horse/donkey example or as with the liger, which is pretty much my favorite animal.
Old 11/28/2006, 03:41 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Ever been to Mexico? That country is very poor. My father grew up there. Being poor is something he's known. I understand poor. We've been poor before. I praise God for bringing us through to the good times. At least better times. I understand shoes to someone is very important. Having a reef tank is yes a luxury. Tacocat, I am currently not keeping anyone's food. I have yet to set up my tank. I am not trying to argue here. That is what I said in my last post. I am not trying to offend anyone here. So like I said before I apologize if I did.

Vitz I agree with you.
Yup, I've been to Mexico. I know poor very well. I'm not arguing with you, nor am I offended. It's cool. BTW, in Hawaii and the Pacific Islands, people eat tangs, clownfish, triggers, you name it. Oh and tridacna clams make for great sushi.

Knowing poor, I know that a poor person won't be buying that thing.

Ryan I'd pony up $2K for a liger.

Old 11/28/2006, 04:17 AM
hamster

You couldn't pay me $2k to keep a liger. Can you say Roy Uwe Ludwig Horn? (crap, I guess I can't either - Uwe?!)

Old 11/28/2006, 11:52 AM
Premium Member

Ugh gross not those type of ligers. They're freakin' useless. I'm talking about the ones with magical powers.

Uwe = oooh vay I think.

I took a closer look at that coral. It's not too bad looking online. It was collected at Pohnpei (or Ponape). Back in the day, this island had a reputation for producing the best looking corals and clams. It is a pretty remote island.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pohnpei

I once asked Steve tyree what the stink was with Pohnpei and why he had so many Ponape LEs in his collection. He said that the Pohnpei station closed up and it was extremely unlikely that they will ever open another collection island.
Old 11/28/2006, 12:12 PM
Registered Member

It looks like expensive food for my Foxface!
Old 11/28/2006, 12:16 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by waldomas
It looks like expensive food for my Foxface!
Mmmm. It tastes like chicken.
Old 11/28/2006, 06:34 PM
clownfish fan

i dont want a coral that expensive i want that liger though
Old 12/02/2006, 06:33 AM
Premium Member

I tend to agree with every post except, the poor people in a way, I know some people can't work, and jobs in other countries are hard to come by, But have you looked at the help wanted ads, more job's than you can shake a stick at....
Old 12/02/2006, 03:12 PM
Moving Along

Quite possibly a few reasons for that being so expensive. It may be an uncommon item from his supplier, he may be wanting to keep a brood stock, a display to lure walkins, or just really likes it and wants to hold onto it for a while, so may make an outrageous price to deter selling, but thinks"if there willing to pay for it, they can have it, and more power to them!.." I know of quite a few retailers/etailers that do that for one of those reasons. That I can understand, I think simply a NFS would be more appropriate/ethical. But too agree with above posts if behind the intent is just to break some fool and there money. Which this occurs equally as the above reasons in this hobby unfortunately

Tacocat: good point on relativeness, just hate to admit that Im guilty of it in some form or another

-Justin