Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Cephalopods
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/04/2006, 12:52 PM
Registered Member

Giant Squid on Saturday

hey if anyone is interested, there's gonna be a documentary about how the Japanese scientists took the first pictures of giant squid,

(basically they used a line and hook but put a camera on it)

If you ask me this was a major breakthrough after years of searching they did it!

it's gonna be on this Saturday on Discovery Channel, and at 8:00 pm for those of us on the West Coast!

btw, this is STILL probably gonna be a typical giant squid documentary

1st 30 Min, Talk About Squid

2nd 30 Min, talk about equipment

10 Minutes of Commercials

5 Minutes of Computer Generated Images

5 Minutes of Equipment Breaking and fixing it

10 Minutes of Nothing happening when equipment is down there

2 Minutes of the Giant Squid Pictures and pulling up the severed tentacle they got.

THE END

here's a link to the article from a year ago and a picture

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...ant_squid.html
Old 08/04/2006, 01:10 PM
Registered Member

Already have it being recorded on tivo
Good on ya
aaron
Old 08/05/2006, 11:58 PM
Registered Member

i just watched it and my formula for squid documentaries was pretty dang accurate!
Old 08/08/2006, 06:52 PM
Registered Member

Cool!!! Thanks for the info.
Old 08/24/2006, 10:17 PM
Premium Member

I wonder how big a tank would be needed for those monsters lol. Probably the entire GA aquarium minus every creature in it lol!
Ryan
Old 09/03/2006, 01:50 PM
Registered Member

Those things are nasty, Ive fished for the Humbolt squid right off our coast many times...

Super aggressive, teeth on suckers, big beak... Squirt water and ink on you! Like a water cannon.

They would come up from mexico in HUGE numbers.... 15-40 lbs... Attack and kill everything it can catch...

We'd catch em on jigs.... Very good eating btw.....
Old 09/05/2006, 12:10 AM
Registered Member

ah yes, humboldt squid fishing! did you go abt last year off of redondo beach/long beach?
Old 09/06/2006, 12:15 PM
Registered Member

newport beach
Old 09/06/2006, 05:49 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Frankysreef
Those things are nasty, Ive fished for the Humbolt squid right off our coast many times...

Super aggressive, teeth on suckers, big beak... Squirt water and ink on you! Like a water cannon.

They would come up from mexico in HUGE numbers.... 15-40 lbs... Attack and kill everything it can catch...

We'd catch em on jigs.... Very good eating btw.....
Humbolts only become aggressive, attacking humans and each other when they are being hunted. In a normal enviroment they hunt in packs and are non-threatening to humans. Scientists have discovered, that when fisherman are jigging for them and some are being caught and brought to the surface is when humbolts become agressive towards humans and each other.
Old 09/07/2006, 12:29 AM
Registered Member

yeah, i saw that documentary, and it raised alot of good points! the squid really are only agressive when provoked by jigs,

think of this, say you're just walking around, everything is good right? well then 20 guys run over and start dropping big sharp hooks around you! yeah, not so good anymore!

btw, besides my little speech, i love fishing, especially humboldt squid (here come the flames...) but i don't think they are mindless cannabalistic killing machines, i completely agree with the theory from the documentary!

PS: Does anyone know how to get rid of ammonia taste on humboldt squid meat? lemon, drenching it in soy sauce, deep frying it and salt don't work!
Old 09/07/2006, 12:40 PM
Registered Member

You first have to take off the outer membrane, then pound the flesh with a tenderizer hammer.
Then slice into strips and fry, or use the steak in a number of recipes...

I have never experienced too much in the way of ammonia with these animals... Maybe your catch wasnt kept well?

Only keep what you intend to eat...I dont think they are very good if they are frozen... When I fish for them I use the whole animal, I eat the steaks, and use the heads for bait..

Great halibut bait, and I also caught a 40 lb bat ray with a head.. released of course.
Old 09/07/2006, 06:55 PM
Registered Member

well are the ones you're catching abt 2 ft long (which i actually prefer)

or the ones that came up 2 years ago that are FIVE FEET long?? i'm talking adult humboldts. for some reason (maybe a water temp. change down south), they flocked up here from mexico and south america! and the large ones have strong ammonia taste
Old 09/07/2006, 07:30 PM
Registered Member

I've eaten both, they both taste the same to me... Some were between 30 and 50 lbs...

But the 10-15 lbrs are more tender and easier to prepare...
Old 09/07/2006, 10:24 PM
Registered Member

the smaller ones do seem easier to prepare, maybe we just left the big ones out too long, but anyways, it seems they come up every 3 years or so during the summer or mid spring, wow this has really deviated from the original topic!
Old 09/08/2006, 12:45 PM
Registered Member

when we catch em they go immediatly into the cooler, but we only keep enough to eat and throw the rest back.. Half the time they just pop off the squid jigs... The squid jigs dont have any hooks that penetrate. Just kinda snag them around their tentacles...
Old 11/08/2006, 05:11 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Pico Keeper
Humbolts only become aggressive, attacking humans and each other when they are being hunted. In a normal enviroment they hunt in packs and are non-threatening to humans. Scientists have discovered, that when fisherman are jigging for them and some are being caught and brought to the surface is when humbolts become agressive towards humans and each other.
Thats interesting, considering the number of attacks...
Old 11/08/2006, 07:03 PM
Registered Member

well the attacks have occured when divers were filming under boats that were fishing for the squid