Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/18/2005, 11:16 PM
Invertebrate Advocate

Quote:
Originally posted by patsan
I got the 2nd shipment on Feb. 11th...about 11:00pm.
I don't know if I should go by that date or the date there are no fish in the tank......anyone know???

Tomorrow I'll have the fish 2 weeks. There has been nothing attached to any of the fish. They both look fine.
Hey Pat,

The clock starts once the fish(food source) are removed, so if you take your fish out tomorrow, tomorrow is day 1. When I had my cirolanid confirmed by Dr Ron(and a fellow reefer who ordered rock with me found one on his fish), he said it would be best to wait 2-4 months. One of his articles says that they readily reproduce with a food source(fish).

I'm really not trying to be a downer, but even though there aren't markings or wounds on your fish, one of their common attachment places is gills which you cannot readily see on a free swimming fish if it drops off before you see it.

I know it is an extremely tough decision to take fish out for that long This sucks you have such an ugly bug. You could wait and see if you have another one, I would probably be tempted to do that as well if I was in your situation. But if you see another one, I would vote QT time.

For us southerners out there, I wonder if I catch any more cirolanids out of my tank if I threw it on a fire ant pile, who would win? Probably the fire ants, but only because the cirolanid would be out of its element

I have not read about mantis or anything else eating cirolanids. It would have to be something that picked it apart first, it can burrow through fish, sharks, etc.

B.
Old 03/19/2005, 01:38 AM
Invertebrate Advocate

On a positive note Pat, trying to keep your face like this , I am putting together a group order of TBS, to be ordered very soon that will include 5 or 6 people with separate tanks, so once we get the rock, there will be LOTS of pics on here to look at

B. <--- silently praying for a Macinia(spelling) coral or two.
Old 03/19/2005, 07:13 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by phil519
great job capturing the isopod pat! hopefully it'll be just like dwculp - one single cirolanid.
question: does anyone physically clean the overflow chamber in your reef ready tank? I noticed some green algae in there and was thinking of dropping a few limpets back there. Or is it okay to just "leave it"?
Put the limpets in there for sure! Better in there eating junk than in your tank eating your sponges!
Old 03/19/2005, 07:42 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by garagebrian
Hey Pat,
The clock starts once the fish(food source) are removed, so if you take your fish out tomorrow, tomorrow is day 1. When I had my cirolanid confirmed by Dr Ron(and a fellow reefer who ordered rock with me found one on his fish), he said it would be best to wait 2-4 months. One of his articles says that they readily reproduce with a food source(fish).
I'm really not trying to be a downer, but even though there aren't markings or wounds on your fish, one of their common attachment places is gills which you cannot readily see on a free swimming fish if it drops off before you see it.
I know it is an extremely tough decision to take fish out for that long This sucks you have such an ugly bug. You could wait and see if you have another one, I would probably be tempted to do that as well if I was in your situation. But if you see another one, I would vote QT time.
B.
Oh Brian, I know you're not trying to be a downer.....
I just really don't know what to do at this point. dw had one (although we haven't heard from him in over a month...so maybe he has found more since). Could I be as lucky? Probably not.
Phil thought he spotted one a couple of months ago, but has yet to find any positive proof to back it up.

I went and sat at the tank for a long while last night before I went to bed. Needless to say I didn't see anything. That's still not saying there isn't anything in the tank. Look how long it took me to spot this one.
If it weren't for you showing your pictures, I probably wouldn't have even been looking for them. I have looked to see if anything has been attached to the fish from the day I got them...only because of other posts people have made in other threads.

I think what I'm probably going to do is just keep looking for more. I really hate to have to move the fish to QT for such a long period of time. If I do see more, I'll have no choice and will have to take a more drastic action.
Old 03/19/2005, 08:22 AM
Tang? What Tang!

Maybe the LFS will take those fish back since it was not long ago, that way you dont have to keep 2 fish in a 10 gallon so long. Thats great that you nabbed him and pray there is no more.

John, what is the gallons on that sump and who madw it. It looks nice

Brian, I will catch up with you in our other forum about that TBS order

Phil, we clean the overflows in the 175 monthly just to keep it down. Put snails back there, but they do what they want and come back into the main tank within a day (If snails would just listen )
Old 03/19/2005, 08:23 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PaPa_Johnny
I uhohed on one thing. They emailed me and asked about the baffle after the fuge, up or down, and I didn't check my email. Well it's up and it should have been down. So go's life. My bad I'll have to live with it.
Glad you finally got the sump Johnny. Let's hope the up/down won't be bad and cause problems!!
Have you hooked it up yet?
Old 03/19/2005, 08:30 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by garagebrian
On a positive note Pat, trying to keep your face like this , I am putting together a group order of TBS, to be ordered very soon that will include 5 or 6 people with separate tanks, so once we get the rock, there will be LOTS of pics on here to look at
B. <--- silently praying for a Macinia(spelling) coral or two.
Good!! We love pictures!
How the heck will you split up a group order??

You'll probably get at least one Manicina. I got one with part 1 (but a sponge continues to cover it) and about 4 or 5 with part 2.
Old 03/19/2005, 08:51 AM
Premium Member

Scuba, the sump full to the brim is right at 46.25 gallons. It's broken up into 3 sections Skimmer: 10.3 gallons, Return: 7.4, Fuge: 11.3. The odd ball numbers came out because I just picked baffle heights out. It came from Precision Clarity in Woodstock, GA. I would have got Melev(Marc) to do it but shipping is a Killer. I had to drive 200 miles but that was still cheaper. It gives me about 15 gallons of uhoh before it runs out in the floor. The only thing that bites is the baffle after the fuge. I was worried about the water fall when the return dropped is the only reason it's there. Now it's up instead of down, but I think it'll still be okay.
Does look pretty good doesn't it??

Noooo Pat, it's still in the floor. I have to half way disassemble my stand to get it in. Of course I have nothing to do this weekend. Let's see, 2yr. birthday party, Wife has party next weekend and house looks like tornado zone from painting, 20+ loads of chicken excrement to haul still, 50,000 little chicks coming gotta get ready for them.......can I have some cheese and crackers??? I Might get to work on it late tonight.

BUT it won't be long!
Old 03/19/2005, 08:54 AM
Premium Member

"You'll probably get at least one Manicina. I got one with part 1 (but a sponge continues to cover it)"

Old 03/19/2005, 09:01 AM
Tang? What Tang!

John, thanks for answering my questions. It does look nice, and very nice job on the work also. If you are worried about that baffle, go ahead and install a fourth one in the down position. I hav talked to Marc about a sump idea for a 75g I am looking into (maybe a 120 if I can get a deal) but I can go get it from him and save the shipping. Looking good, cant wait to see it in action
Old 03/19/2005, 09:01 AM
Premium Member

Gosh, yesterday I was saying I wasn't getting the emails when someone makes a new post. Since they split the thread, I'm getting double emails!

Johnny...what's the scoop on all the chickens?

Do you have to empty your whole tank out to get the sump in? That's the reason I won't get a new sump. If it is, let me know how you're going to do it......I'm interested!

As far as the sponge......I don't want to remove it. I have enough manicina's I can enjoy.....I'd like to keep whatever sponges I have.
Old 04/02/2005, 08:49 AM
Premium Member

Thread's moved to here:

To Continue to thread