Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 01/11/2008, 07:00 AM
Registered Member

PH meter placement and ALK question

1 I've decided to get a pin point PH meter. Can the probe be place in my HOB refugium in order to save space in the display tank.

2 What is the recommended ALK for a fish and soft coral tank?

Last edited by masonicman; 01/11/2008 at 07:22 AM.
Old 01/11/2008, 08:47 AM
Reef Chemist

It can be placed anywhere with a couple of concerns. The Pinpoint can be susceptible to the excessive emissions from certain reef lighting systems. So you may get odd readings when the lights are on if it is too close to a light or a ballast. Sometimes battery works better than AC as interference can also go through the AC.

Also, if the flow is low enough, you can get a slightly different pH in a refugium than in the tank. You can always check that.

I recommend 2.5-4 meq/L (7-11 dKH) for any tank where you have corals or coralline algae.
Old 01/11/2008, 09:56 AM
Registered Member

SO is suggested that you get a better more accurate reading when the lights are off?
Old 01/11/2008, 09:58 AM
Registered Member

Randy, It seems that allot of reef members mention your replies and threads on this forum. I take allot of your advice and it works most of the time. Thanks.......
Old 01/11/2008, 10:09 AM
Reef Chemist

SO is suggested that you get a better more accurate reading when the lights are off?

If the reading is stable (not jumping around second to second). and you do not notice a sudden jump up or downward in pH when the lights go off, then there is no concern. Some folks measure pH in a cup of water away from the tank to eliminate such issues.

FWIW, I would try it exactly how you want it first for convenience and go from there if there are issues.

Randy, It seems that allot of reef members mention your replies and threads on this forum. I take allot of your advice and it works most of the time. Thanks.......

You're welcome. Thanks for the kind words.