Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/04/2008, 03:13 AM
Registered Member

AM I OVERSTOCKED? 5ftx2ftx2ft

Hi All,

Just wondering if a 5ftx2ftx2ft tank with 95kg of live rock would be over stocked? If so, by how much? or if not then how much more could I get away with before causing unnecessary stress.

FISH

BLENNIES
1 x Jewelled Rockskipper (Salarias fasciatus)

CLOWNFISH
1 x Ocellaris Clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris)
1 x Black & White Ocellaris Clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris var)

COWFISH
1 x Longhorn Cowfish (Lactoria cornuta)

ANGELFISH
1 x Flame Angel (Centropyge loricula)
1 x Regal Angel (Pygoplites diacanthus)
1 x Emperor Angelfish (Pomacanthus imperator)
1 x Lemonpeel Angelfish (Centropyge flavissima)

GOBIES
1 x Green Clown Goby (Gobiodon atrangulatus)
2 x Yellow Clown Goby (Gobiodon okinawae) - Mated pair

HAWKFISH
1 x Flame Hawkfish (Neocirrhites armatus)

DRAGONETS
2 x Male/Female Pair of Green Mandarinfish (Pterosynchiropus splendidus, Synchiropus splendidus)

TRIGGERFISH
1 x Niger Triggerfish (Odonus niger)
Old 01/04/2008, 06:59 AM
Our man in the East

You have the same size tank as me and I don't have that many fish and none with the growth potential you have. I'd say you are already overstocked. Also your Lemonpeel can be a real coral muncher. Keep your eye on him.
Have your clowns paired up?
Old 01/04/2008, 07:14 AM
Registered Member

Clowns are paired, the lemon peel is nipping at a button coral aka owl eye a fair bit but doesnt seem to both any others.

I dont currently have the Hawkfish, Mandarins or Trigger yet thats why I thought I should ask before going any further. I am looking to upgrade the tank in 12 months but thats not now so I guess I dont want to overstock the 5ft tank if I can avoid it.

How many fish should I reduce by to make sure it doesn't get over stocked?
Old 01/04/2008, 07:14 AM
Registered Member

All those angels dont fight each other?
Old 01/04/2008, 07:22 AM
Registered Member

Nah all the Angels are cruising around together. Mind you the lemonpeel doesn't tend to like the flame angel being too close but other than that its a peaceful tank. I think that the large amount of live rock helps for them to dart in and out of when they want their own space.
Old 01/04/2008, 07:24 AM
Registered Member

Oh yeah and im aware the cowfish and niger trigger can grow to quite a large size but my understanding is that this takes many many years of good fish keeping to achieve so I wasn't thinking this would be an issue. Though, correct me if im wrong.

Im still very new to the hobby only having the tank running for 4 months.
Old 01/04/2008, 07:37 AM
Registered Member

Wow thats a lot of fish for a tank running such a short length of time. I have had mine running for 10 months now, I have one clownfish, one pyjama fish (don't know the correct name) and a flame angelfish and I am thinking of one, maybe two small fish more and that will be it. (Suggestions welcome on those points by the way) And that won't be for another month or so anyway. I think if you carry on at this rate you will end up in trouble at some point - just my opinion you understand.

“No good fish goes anywhere without a porpoise”
Old 01/04/2008, 09:51 AM
Premium Member

Could be that 15 fish in a 150 gallon is a little much. A lot depends on what type of system your trying to keep. FOLR with lots of filtration might work.. A complete SPS, and you will have trouble. I really think time will tell you..

Some people are successful with large bioloads, others go for a lower nutrient system. I have 21 fish in my 500 and I feel it's overcrowded..

Happy Reefing
Old 01/04/2008, 06:18 PM
Registered Member

Oh ok cool thanks. I might hold off for a while then and just see how the system adjusts to the bio load. Could you give me an idea of by how many fish im over?
Old 01/04/2008, 06:57 PM
Premium Member

Thats a tough question to answer. It's not really how many, but which ones you "need" to keep and which ones you don't mind getting rid of. Some of those fish will get very large as you know. I would get rid of one or two of the angels. But I know that is hard to do. I think the trigger could go, and possibly the boxfish. It's my understanding that if they die they can leach toxins into the water. Hopefully you have a refuge for your mandarins, otherwise keep an eye on them and make sure your pod population is up. You can by pods online to help maintain your levels.