Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks

Old 01/02/2008, 11:49 PM
Registered Member

Front access on an inwall tank

Does most everybody agree front access is mandatory on an inwall tank? If so how much would you suggest? Would roughly 8 inches or so be enough?
Old 01/03/2008, 12:36 AM
Be the valve.

I can't imagine an in-wall without front access. Especially if it's a deep tank. In my opinion (worth of which is questionable), an in-wall tank should have front access that allows you to get to all parts of the tank.
I'm just finishing mine off and I will have enough room to get to all parts of my tank from the front. 8 inches is not much but depending on your depth, it might be enough. I have about 20" that allows Mr. fat boy to squeeze in and reach everything.
Old 01/03/2008, 09:34 AM
Registered Member

i dont have access to the front of mine... it is a pita but to me that is an inwall tank. if i wanted access from the front i would have built a stand and canopy for it. i like the look of the inwall tanks alot. just my opionion though and hope your build goes well.
Old 01/03/2008, 10:27 AM
Premium Member

I gave myself 12 inches of front access above my in wall. I debated a long time and decided I didn't want to struggle every time I worked on the tank. You can get pretty creative with trim where no one would know it opens from the front.
Old 01/03/2008, 03:44 PM
Registered Member

Front access isn't needed if you can give yourself access to reach the entire tank from the back. You have to take into account not only your height and reach, what you will stand on, do you want to use tongs, etc. Also think about where the plumbing will be.

I thought I would have great access to mine, but didnt think about all the closed loop plumbing that I put along the back. Not only does that push me further away, I need to be very careful not to lean on the pipes or...well you know...crack...splash...

This is a similar to the tall tank debate. Many people refuse to think of tanks over 30" tall because they cant reach the bottom with their hands. But there are just as many people who believe that tall tanks look very cool and will go to great lengths to make it work for them.

I actually built up a model of the tank I am working on with rigid foam, set it to the right height, and practiced reaching around to see what would work well.
Old 01/03/2008, 07:09 PM
Registered Member

I don't have front access, there are times when I wish I had it but never when I am standing in front looking at the tank.

Bart
Old 01/04/2008, 12:11 AM
Reefer

My husband framed in a large hole and then made these two "pictures" to cover the opening. Here are some photos of it from last spring after the Jan. 07 crash because the acrylic top started separating and before I restocked with new fish and corals:

Joyce
Old 01/04/2008, 02:18 AM
Premium Member

Here are some pictures of our 500. Both side doors open, the top swing open to the ceiling and the front comes off, it's held on with magnets. I can walk around the full tank, helps in cleaning and working with coral...

Old 01/04/2008, 09:19 AM
Registered Member

I had to have an opening in the front because I cannot access the one side of my tank. 8 or 9 inches is about what I have, and seems to be more than enough.

Here's a pic showing the opening when I was setting it up...

And how I chose to cover it...

I got my kids 529 plan invested right outside my living room wall...red house shows all.