Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 09/15/2006, 12:05 PM
Send money....

Old 09/15/2006, 12:17 PM
Bogus Information Expert

That is the third thread fragment I've encountered and merged since this was split. I can't seem to find anymore but others may be out there lurking.

BEWARE!!!

Tom
Old 03/06/2007, 04:41 PM
Bogus Information Expert

You know I should check the links in my own threads more often. The link at the end of Part I to Part II went nowhere. It's fixed now.

Anyhow, while I've got your undivided attention, here's a whole bunch of new, good poop to confound your Newbie mind, if a Newbies had a mind!

Stuff You Need to Know

Tom
Old 03/06/2007, 08:49 PM
Premium Member

Well it's about time Tom!

Regards,

Pat
2 X 150 MH
2 X 96 watt PC Actinic
2 Clarki Clowns (27 months old)
1 Niger Trigger (Owned 2 months)
2 Tunze 6055 PH
Old 03/06/2007, 08:51 PM
Registered Member

How exactly do I get clear water? I am running 2 power heads and a hang on back refuge and my water is full of "stuff"
Old 03/06/2007, 09:12 PM
Registered Member

Carbon and micron filters can go a long way as far as getting that crystal clear water, but your water should be pretty clear without them as long as your basic filtration is good. A HOB fuge is nice, but I don't think that does much for water clarity. Are you running a protein skimmer? And what type of "stuff" are we talking about? Is the water just cloudy, fine particulate matter, or chunks of uneaten food, algae and other gunk (to use another very technical term).

-Mike C.
Old 03/06/2007, 10:00 PM
Bogus Information Expert

Quote:
Originally posted by PatMayo
Well it's about time Tom!
You don't really think I read all this bull I write? How would I know the link was blind?

Right about the polishing filter Crow. A micron filter cartridge in a canister filter can clear a tank in hours. With the carbon it depends. Carbon is great for for removing dissolved organic matter, which gives the water a yellowish tinge, but is not really designed for particulate matter. True, micron porosity carbon block can do that but they are expensive and have limited capacity when compared to a simple, pleated polishing filter. Sponge filter will also work but only if the tank's turbidity is from fairly large particulate matter.

Tom
Old 10/04/2007, 12:41 AM
Registered Member

OK after sitting for hours and hours on end reading this epic....errr thead.. it can't just end.. like this?? Where is the rest of the fish list and all the other newbie goodies you were gonna talk about WK?? Where can I find the rest of this and why hasnt anyone else asked for it before now.. and where the hell am I?

Ok..ok.. deep breath.. could someone please tell me? I'm sure I am not the only one here who wants to know.

Am I?
Old 10/04/2007, 09:17 AM
King of the Tank!

shabash

To Reef Central

I too read this entire thread like twice (once then followed along as I setup my tank) before I started in March 2006. I still made a few mistakes along the way but this thread gave me a great knowledge base to step out on my own. Here are the results:

I can’t speak for Waterkeeper, I’m still waiting for the fish list too, but I think the rest of the information is out there and the thread really answers most newbie questions!

Jay
Old 10/04/2007, 09:52 AM
Bogus Information Expert

Jay--

Somewhere I actually did a fish list but I forgot in which thread I put it. I'll try to find it but it has been awhile.

Starting tomorrow or Saturday most of the highlights in this thread will be in the Newbie Corner section of [rk]. It will be updated each month in a more modern manner and after I get done with the basics of tank set-up I'll treat stocking a tank far more throughly. However, as there is only so much room in Reefkeeping, it will probably be some time next spring before that topic is reached.

So for now, I would consider those cute little plastic fish that swim around using a magnet. Easy to care for and require only batteries.

Tom
Old 10/05/2007, 02:40 AM
Registered Member

Thank you Jay and your tank looks awesome!.. and thank heavens WK is still here "kicking it" with us. I saw your new post WK and am looking forward to following it. Thanks for not leaving us midstream!

Just for the record I've been lurking in these forums for a while and am a pseudonewb. Before starting my 12g nano in May, my hubby and I had a 55gFO (successful) and a 20g anemone/coral (not so succesful) tank back when undergravel filters were all the rage and common practice (about 15-20 yrs ago). So glad there has been so much progress and information for us old schoolers.

Keep up the good work... and the jokes...... please!!

Patty
Old 10/05/2007, 09:57 AM
Bogus Information Expert

Why Patty; did you use a UGF?

About 25 years ago that is what I ran in my SW tanks. Worked just fine as long as one did big water changes and didn't over stock. Paul B still swears by them, although he is using a more modern reverse flow UGF.

Tom
Old 10/05/2007, 11:43 AM
Premium Member

Methinks it's the empty booze bottles in Paul B's tank that are the key.
Old 10/05/2007, 12:42 PM
Bogus Information Expert

I hate it when the seahorses get too buzzed to even do 5 furlongs.

Tom
Old 10/05/2007, 05:13 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WaterKeeper
Why Patty; did you use a UGF?

About 25 years ago that is what I ran in my SW tanks. Worked just fine as long as one did big water changes and didn't over stock. Paul B still swears by them, although he is using a more modern reverse flow UGF.
Well, one reason is that we were complete newbs to SW and were told by the LFS that since our FW tanks were doing so well with them, it would be the same for SW. Yes, we did do monthly 20% wc's and although they were not overstocked we did feed heavily. Hubby liked to watch groupers and lions chase shrimp, goldfish and guppies which is what was done then without a second thought to proper marine fish diets. We really didnt have a problem with the 55 it was the 20g that did not do so well. Nano's were a no-no back then and for good reason. Not enough was known at the time and the usual maintanence for larger volume of water does not apply to smaller tanks. 10-25% monthly to a 20g with corals and anemone's and a couple of clownfish just were not enough and it wasnt common practice to use macro's or "clean up crews".( I do weekly 10% with my 12g nano now) The way we cylce tanks now is so much better for the livestock than then too. It was common to throw a dozen damsels in a bare tank and wait for levels to drop then add the fish you wanted to "really keep". Live rock and sand were not even mentioned and they certainly were not even considered as part of biological filtration. RO/DI units were not for the average aquarist back then either, even if you afford one. Technology and research has changed that dramatically. Thank goodness!

I am not saying the UGF's are bad..not at all.. if I kept FW tanks I would use them but I would adapt a ph in place of the airstones. But IMO they are simply not efficient for SW reef applications and definately not if you use a DSB.
When did you say we should look for the new New Tank Thread? I didn't see it on the monthly issue, but I do tend to get lost on this site a lot... I think I have some form of RC thread A.D.D
Old 10/06/2007, 10:09 AM
Bogus Information Expert

The series starts in the October issue of [rk] that should be out any day now.

Tom