Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/01/2002, 08:43 PM
Registered Member

RO/DI help

Hi good people! I am about to buy a RO/DI unit and just wanted some of your input. I am thinking of getting Kent Marine's 35GPD Maxxima unit. Champoin lighting has them on sale for a goog price. Is this unit good? Price, quality, reliability, replacement part etc.. Is there a better choice for around $175? My tank is only 75gallons and I change 10 to 15 gallons every 7-10 days plus I am setting up a 58ga natural freshwater plant tank. So as you can see, a huge unit for me is not needed.
A CONCERN THOUGH.
I live in northern Illinois just south of Chicago where the ground water is cold for a good portion of the year. How does this effect the purifier? The manufactureres all say 70 something degrees for optimal usage.

Thanks in advance.
zimmy
Old 09/01/2002, 08:47 PM
Registered Member

Hi

I have the 24 GPD Full R/O unit with no di unit and i love it. WOrks great but if you have low pressure or your water is really cold you might want to go with a high GPD unit. Kent is pretty good and parts are redily available.

Jeff
Old 09/01/2002, 09:06 PM
Premium Member

Myself, I wouldn't buy anything but Aquatic Reef Systems RO (RO/DI) units. They are superior in quality and craftmanship and the customer service is incredible. They will talk you through anything + they have a forum here at RC. Just make sure you check them out. I have an OCEANUS 100GPD RO/DI and love it.
If you have low water prussure (use your shower as a judge) make sure you check into what additional devices/pumps you might need to obtain results. Just post a question on aquatic reef systems forum. I have read too many posts about people getting nothing but a light trickle from their RO unit.
Old 09/01/2002, 10:09 PM
Premium Member

Like Creeper, I too got a Oceanic 100GPD unit from aquaticreefsystems and have been very happy with the unit as well as the excellent service from ARS.

I'm just west of Chicago and face the same cold water temp issue you have + low pressure (~40psi). Using a check valve to control my good/waste water ratio, I'm still able to get about 75GPD out of the unit without any pressure booster pump. I'm quite pleased with it.

Look around, and good luck.

T3
Old 09/01/2002, 10:20 PM
Registered Member

Inland Reef Powerbuy

Here's a deal off of reefs.org that will fit the bill exactly. The Oceanus 4 stage 100gpd RODI for only $165! I plan to buy one myself.

http://reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18524
Old 09/02/2002, 02:04 AM
Registered Member

aquaticreefsystems

aquaticreefsystems is the way to go. there prices are the best, and i can't say enough about there customer service, its the BEST.---------
My Reef
Old 09/02/2002, 09:36 AM
Registered Member

http://www.h2ofix.com/RODI.htm 5-stage ro/di,100 GPD , 139 $

Have anyone experience with this ro/di system?
Old 09/02/2002, 10:03 AM
will work for frags

I agree with Creeper and T3 water pressure in chicago is around 40psi I also have the oceanus 100gpd from Aquatic Reef Systems
Old 09/02/2002, 11:08 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for all the input. I have never heard of this company though. How long have they been around? Long term quality? Setup? Replacement parts if company goes belly up?
Also for you fellow Northern Illinois reefers who responded, how well does your RO work in the winter?

zimmy
Old 09/03/2002, 05:36 PM
Reefer

ARS has been around a for a couple years - the units come fully assembled - basically just insert the filter cartridges and plumb the unit and you are ready to go.

Much better unit than the Kent's - replacement parts are easy all of these units basically use the same gear so it's not a concern. ARS systems are high quality (IMO better than Kent) and well thought out.

Yes if your pressure is around 40 psi you'll want to look into an aquatec 8800 pump

"I take a whiskey drink, I take a chocolate drink and when I have to pee I use the kitchen sink." - Homer
Old 09/03/2002, 06:16 PM
Registered Member

Zimmy,

Aquatic Reef Systems is the way to go. The customer service is the best. Call them and ask them about their units and your application. They will help you determine the best system for your needs. They will not try to sell you something you do not need.

TRIP
Old 09/03/2002, 07:13 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rambi
http://www.h2ofix.com/RODI.htm 5-stage ro/di,100 GPD , 139 $

Have anyone experience with this ro/di system?
I've been eyeballing this one too. If I don't hear anything bad I'll probably buy it. One thing though (might be my ignorance), on the website it says 100 GPD, but stage 4 uses a 50 GPD cartridge. How does this work? I emailed them last night and asked the question, no response as of yet... I'd hoped for a quicker response.

Josh
Old 09/03/2002, 10:08 PM
Reefaholic

Justle, you would have already got a response from Aquatic Reef Systems, and probably had your unit shipped already...

Bryan is that good with his customer service. Seriously, check out his forum. You will not be disappointed.

I unfortunately did not go with ARS for my RO/DI unit, but I did order my booster pump from them. Bryan stayed on the phone with me(his dime) for a good half an hour explaining and answering my questions about a unit he didn't even sell me.

Now that's what I call customer service.
Old 09/04/2002, 04:30 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by justletmein

I've been eyeballing this one too. If I don't hear anything bad I'll probably buy it. One thing though (might be my ignorance), on the website it says 100 GPD, but stage 4 uses a 50 GPD cartridge. How does this work? I emailed them last night and asked the question, no response as of yet... I'd hoped for a quicker response.

Josh
I ask shipping information to Europe and they ask fast to me, here is e-mail copy.

Well, you will need to give me a day or so to explore shipping options. The box is too big to go via USPS so we will have to either use UPS or someone else. UPS tend to be pretty expensive so I will look into a few other options for you.

As far as the filters, they are a standard size,including the membrane, you can get from any local water dealer.

Also, FYI, the brackets we use for the reef systems are on back order rightnow but we can still build the system, it just comes on teo brackets rather then one. The main filters and system go on one, while the DI is by itself on another bracket. This is no way changes the operation but it does make it easier to change the filters. Please take a look at a picture sent to us by a customer pleased with his system and sent us a picture of what it looks like seperated like this.
Please take alook:

http://www.sparklingfloorservice.com/tank/ro_di.html