Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/31/2007, 02:41 PM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

Quote:
Originally posted by SaltyClone
Grim,

I am currently running a 4 x 54w retro over my 90gal with the following bulb combo.

Super Actinic
Aquasun
GE Daylight
Aquablue

I only have softies in the tank so far, but I want to add some SPS in the near future. I will pick up a 2 x 54w Icecap kit for the overdrive. My question is, I want to get more of a blue feel to the tank. Right now, with all the lights on, it is a very crisp, white. What would you suggest the new arrangement should be with the additional Icecap kit and 2 new bulbs.

Thanks,

Salty
Front
Blue Plus
UVL Super Actinic
UVL Aquasun Overdriven
Blue Plus
GE 6500K Daylight
Blue Plus
Old 10/31/2007, 02:51 PM

The link seagirl posted is bad but go with the reefgeek deal. You are getting quality equipment and the boy stands behind his products. Marine depot isn't exactly a slouch when it comes to customer service but their product isn't as good and will cost you more by the time you add in lamps,

Quote:
Originally posted by NWhoric
heres a few im looking at:

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewIt..._Retrofit_Kit_(with_ballast_and_reflectors)_For_T5~vendor~.html
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewIt...5~vendor~.html
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewIt...ct~SL2415.html
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...1&pcatid=15491
http://www.petmountain.com/product/r...ofit-kits.html
http://www.petsolutions.com/Nova-T-5...C40001722.aspx

these are a few i was looking at. retros are new to me i have previously bought coralife compacts. tell me a good setup and thats what im goina go with.

thanks again grim
Old 10/31/2007, 04:36 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by seagirl
I realize you will want Grims opinion too, but check out this-

HTH
thanks for the advice. i had actaully looked at them before just didnt know what to look for. thanks for the help

oh yea the 2 links dont work for me either.... the one u posted is the same way.
Old 10/31/2007, 07:45 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
thanks for the advice. i had actaully looked at them before just didnt know what to look for. thanks for the help

oh yea the 2 links dont work for me either.... the one u posted is the same way.
stupid links
i don't know if you found it yet but the item # is 105036 @ Reef Geek. I actually ordered the same kit today too. Picking lighting can be very confusing if you aren't familiar with all the choices out there, and with the cost you want to make sure you spend the $$ wisely. Good thing we have Grim here to help
Old 10/31/2007, 09:23 PM
Respek!

Hey Grim,

Long time listener, first time caller

I started a thread with the same info I'm posting below and would really appreciate your feed back given that you did the testing to which I refer and have had a Fauna Marin in hand:

Fauna Marin UltraSolaris 6x24W

Just when I thought I had my mind made up on a 250W HQI pendant I happened upon an Aquarium Obsessed post and discovered the Fauna Marin UltraSolaris were available in Canada. I did some searching here on RC and now have a few questions:

1) Anyone have any pictures of an UltraSolaris in operation? I'd like to see how the hanging system works on this unit. It doesn't look nearly as functional as that on the ATI PowerModule, but there's a big difference in price. I'd prefer to have one cable on each side or something like the ATI system.

2) I've read of a few instances in which people were experiencing corrosion of the reflectors due to the absense of an acrylic shield and despite the "special" coating on the lamps and reflectors. Is this something others have experienced?

3) Anyone have a final consensus on the PAR ratings of this unit compared to a comparable ATI or Aquactincs unit? There was some debate about the validity of previous tests given the variability in reflector design and "fishing" technique vs grid technique.

4) I'm assuming the 6x24W fixture would work nicely for my open top, rimless, braceless SPS only tank with a display area of 24x18x18. Do you think this is a better alternative to a 250W HQI? I like the idea of better coverage with T5s and if the intensity and PAR are comparable then it looks like a no-brainer.

5) What combination of lamps would you suggest?

"mens sana in corpore sano"
Old 10/31/2007, 09:32 PM

The ATI Sun Power is a way better deal. The Ultra Solaris is really more of a fancy Retrofit rather than a finished fixture. The reflectors are very unforgiving of salt spray. The Sun Power has a little better output even with the splash shield in place.

For a 6 lamp unit try

Front
Blue Plus
Super Actinic
Aquasun
Blue Plus
Aquablue
Blue Plus
Old 10/31/2007, 09:55 PM
Respek!

Thanks for the quick reply Grim!

The 6x24W Fauna Marin UltraSolaris will cost me in the neighborhood of $550CAD with lamps + shipping within Canada (and only one tax because it's shipped from out of province).

The ATI Powermodule will cost me roughly $650CAD with lamps + shipping from the US + import duties and brokerage fees (and two taxes because it's being imported). The total difference will likely be closer to $250-$300CAD when it's all said and done.

Do you still think the ATI is a way better deal? i.e. Do the differences justify the $300 difference to get one landed at my door?

Old 10/31/2007, 10:34 PM
Respek!

Bah! I just realized you were referring to the ATI SunPower and not the PowerModule Grim. Lemme go do my homework and get back to you I have to see where I can purchase a SunPower from and what the price is.

Ok I give up. Where can I find a SunPower in the US? I'm assuming there's zero chance of finding a distributor in Canada.

Last edited by Canadian; 10/31/2007 at 11:07 PM.
Old 11/01/2007, 12:09 AM
Registered Member

will a 48" constellation have good coverage of 60" long 90g tank?

Thanks
Old 11/01/2007, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Canadian
Thanks for the quick reply Grim!

The 6x24W Fauna Marin UltraSolaris will cost me in the neighborhood of $550CAD with lamps + shipping within Canada (and only one tax because it's shipped from out of province).

The ATI Powermodule will cost me roughly $650CAD with lamps + shipping from the US + import duties and brokerage fees (and two taxes because it's being imported). The total difference will likely be closer to $250-$300CAD when it's all said and done.

Do you still think the ATI is a way better deal? i.e. Do the differences justify the $300 difference to get one landed at my door?
If you intend to hang it over the tank, YES! If it weren't visible then of course the FM unit would be a better deal in canada. Didn't pay attention to your screen name when I responded Check out the Sfigiloi fixtures Aquarium Obsessed sells. Pricey but at least they look nice.
Old 11/01/2007, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Canadian
Bah! I just realized you were referring to the ATI SunPower and not the PowerModule Grim. Lemme go do my homework and get back to you I have to see where I can purchase a SunPower from and what the price is.

Ok I give up. Where can I find a SunPower in the US? I'm assuming there's zero chance of finding a distributor in Canada.
E-mail reefgeek and see if anything is happening with the Sun Power. The ATI powermodule is a killer unit and well worth the money if its in your budget. They seem to be a little more powerful than the Sun Power. Guess the reflectors and or the splash shield is better.
Old 11/01/2007, 09:18 AM
Respek!

Thanks again Grim,

I'll get a hold of Reefgeek especially given the fact that Will at Aquarium Obsessed just emailed me to say that Fauna Marin informed him that a 6x24W is not available because they get too hot. I guess there's something to be said for the engineering of the ATI units considering they can keep a 10 lamp US unit cool enough.

Old 11/01/2007, 09:39 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
The link seagirl posted is bad but go with the reefgeek deal. You are getting quality equipment and the boy stands behind his products. Marine depot isn't exactly a slouch when it comes to customer service but their product isn't as good and will cost you more by the time you add in lamps,
do i want the HO or VHO in the 48" 4x54w?

should i have a thin piece of acrylic or glass placed between the lights as a splash guard?? some say they mess with the actual light makin it to the water

ur helps been great so far
Old 11/01/2007, 09:42 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
do i want the HO or VHO in the 48" 4x54w?

should i have a thin piece of acrylic or glass placed between the lights as a splash guard?? some say they mess with the actual light makin it to the water

ur helps been great so far
oh yea whats this i see about SLR and tek 2??

grr i confused to many numbers and letters
Old 11/01/2007, 10:42 AM
Registered Member

Thanks

Hobby Experience
Old 11/01/2007, 02:16 PM
Registered Member

hey grim, can i run 36" bulbs with an icecap 660? running 48" now but thinking of getting a smaller tank. thanks.
Registered Member

hey grim, can i run 36" bulbs with an icecap 660? running 48" now but thinking of getting a smaller tank. thanks.
Registered Member

Old 11/01/2007, 02:19 PM
Registered Member

sorry for the triple post i didnt think it was working lol
Old 11/01/2007, 04:29 PM
AEFW Assasinator

I run (4) 36" T-5's on an IceCap 660
Old 11/01/2007, 07:57 PM
Registered Member

Question here

I just came into poession of a coral life T5 fixture. It has two 18w 24" T5's in it. One 10,000k and one Actinic ( ) Does anyone know where I can find things like Fiji Purple, Blue Plus, UVL, etc bulbs in 18w sizes? Or is it possible to run two 24w bulbs? Or one of the 18w that came with it (the 10,000) and a 24w (hopefully fiji purple) ? Thanks for the help
Old 11/02/2007, 02:50 PM
Registered Member

Grim (or anyone else), for dusk/dawn lighting, have you tried running blue plus with either a Fiji Purple or an ATI ProColor? Just wondering how it would look.
Old 11/02/2007, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ganjero

Thanks
Be great
Old 11/02/2007, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by reefermike1
Yeah. it will work.
Old 11/02/2007, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Corndork2
Question here

I just came into poession of a coral life T5 fixture. It has two 18w 24" T5's in it. One 10,000k and one Actinic ( ) Does anyone know where I can find things like Fiji Purple, Blue Plus, UVL, etc bulbs in 18w sizes? Or is it possible to run two 24w bulbs? Or one of the 18w that came with it (the 10,000) and a 24w (hopefully fiji purple) ? Thanks for the help
They don't make them in normal output lamps.