Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/28/2005, 10:31 AM
Marine Aquarist

Yashia Goby Behavior

I got a Yashia goby and a Randall's pistol shrimp about 10 weeks ago. Both in quarantine and in my main tank they spent just about all their time hiding together. Recently (maybe over the past week), I've seen the goby swimming around outside of its burrow a lot more, sometimes even on the opposite side of the tank (a 75 gallon). Last night, I saw him swimming around far from his burrow and he stayed out until I went to bed. He looked pretty good and ate.
When he stopped to rest (if he was swimming against the current, which I turned down) he would roll over on his side a little, but I think/hope that's just because he doesn't have a swim bladder. Today he's still swimming around out of his burrow. Why is he doing this? Did something happen to the shrimp?
Old 10/28/2005, 11:17 AM
Registered Member

Is he hungry and looking for food...they need to eat frequently? I've heard they will leave their cave if hungry and looking for food (I have the same pair). SH
Old 10/31/2005, 06:51 PM
Girl Geek

Do you look in the tank at night when just actinics are on? That's when my shrimp and goby are out together usually. Otherwise, I don't see the shrimp much during the day.

Feed the tank and make sure some feed gets close to the burrow so the goby can get it. It took mine a little bit to figure it out I think, but he always comes out now when I feed. He usually hoovering close to the burrow during the day.
Old 10/31/2005, 11:24 PM
Registered Member

Both these guys LOVE shrimp pellets too. You can drop one by or into the cave. My goby will pull out of out of my hand and drag it in to the cave. SH