Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/23/2007, 05:10 PM
Registered Member

Need Emergency Advice

Hello all - I'm getting back into the hobby after an 18 year absence. At the bottom of this thread you can read my bio from a different forum, but I want to get right to the chase - I'm considering buying a 90 gallon used setup. It has the following equipment:

2 Berlin Turbo Hang-on Protein Skimmers, a heater, 4 power heads, a Marineland Emperior 400 BIO-Wheel powerfilter, 2 bubble wands, large glass only floating magnet, Aqualight Power Compact Lighting Fixture with 4 fluorscent lamps

Sounds promising for $650. It's 7 years old, and although it is up and running (with a few fish and live rock), I suspect it hasn't been cared for recently and is a mostly 'dead' system. I've got a three specific goals in mind with this opportunity:
1) Get the tank drilled so I can have an overflow box and sump (tank currently doesn't have)
2) Save the live rock and fish, if at all possible.
3) Use the current live rock as a base for buying more that is seeded better. Probably from Tampa bay Saltwater.

Here's my plan (HERE's where I need advice!)
[list=1][*]Get an RO/DI unit TODAY[*]Setup up the RO/DI unit ASAP and start making saltwater[*]Pickup the aquarium on Saturday[*]Get it home and transfer the fish, sand and liverock to a large (20 gallon) rubbermaid tub[*]Keep said tub alive with new water, the powerhead and skimmer while tank is out being drilled[*]Get tank back, set it up with sump and reintroduce the rock sand and fish[*]Wait a couple weeks, watch the cycle, then order more live rock and clean up crew.[/list=1]

The are: 4 3-stripe damsels, yellow watchman goby, 2 percula clowns. I'm hoping to keep them all alive for a short period in the rubbermaid tub and have a fairly transparent transfer back to the main tank.

I'm kinda of in emergency mode because I don't want to miss what I think is probably a good deal.

THANKS for taking the time to read all this!!!!

Old bio:
Hello all -
I recently decided to get back into the hobby after a 18 year absence. Yes, you read that right. Last time I was into SW was 1989-90. I had a crushed coral bed on top of an undergravel filter. I knew very little about nitrates, nitrates, etc. Never did a water change and had a plain old fluorescent bulb for lighting. And how did I do with all that, one might ask? If my intent were to kill fish and invertebrates, then I would say marvelously well! Eventually went off to college and my parents promptly emptied the fetid mess I left behind and that was it.

Fast forward to today - now I'm married with 4 kids, got a house to take care of, 2 cats a demanding job and all the other usual domestic stuff. So- to keep my sanity I want to get back into the hobby. One aspect of the hobby I dearly miss is the peaceful feeling I had when sitting and looking at the tiny organisms inhabiting the live rock. I personally require peace and quiet from time to time, so I think the best substitute is going to be getting back into the hobby.
Old 07/23/2007, 05:18 PM
Team RC Member

I've seen better prices for used setups, but I'd have to consider how much live rock and sand is being included with the setup. You listed several pieces of equpiment that are probably un-needed at best. And several that I'd personally replace with better quality equpment. The mag-float and heater are the only things listed I'd probably keep. But this is just my personal preferences speaking.

Your plan sounds okay, personally I'd get 2 of those tubs and separate the damsels from the rest. Just me though, or stick some hiding spots for all the fish in the one container. They should be okay for the duration as long as you watch water quality with them.

Click on my homepage to be taken to my RC Blog!
Old 07/23/2007, 05:22 PM
Registered Member

There's 80 pounds of live rock. I was hoping to use the skimmers, but I don't know how they'd fit into a sump setup. And I think the hood and lights were ok?
Old 07/23/2007, 06:09 PM
Registered Member

Will u be keeping coral in the tank or only fish? I would figure that out then design your system around that.

I just bought a brand new 125g tank and stand only, 4 $550. I think designing and planning my system is almost as much fun as looking in the tank, so i would take your time on that and not just jump on a not a steal of a deal and then have to upgrade everything to get what u want. A cheap 4' shoplight can get u by for awhile.

The PC light is probably in need of new bulbs.

I personally would probably not use any of that equipment, probably the mag float if it was still good (which mine dont last to long) and maybe the heater if it was not made of glass).
Old 07/23/2007, 06:52 PM
Registered Member

I'll eventually want to put coral in it, but probably not SPS. I'm more interested in soft corals and crustaceans.
Old 07/23/2007, 06:58 PM
Registered Member

I don't think it sounds like a fabulous deal. I'd keep looking, there are people moving or downsizing or upsizing all the time.
Old 07/23/2007, 07:00 PM
Registered Member

If u want coral (even softies), u probably will eventually want better lighting to improve coral growth. I first started out with a PC flourescent which worked fine but once i got a T-5 my corals started growing much better and the T-5 used less watts.
Old 07/23/2007, 07:03 PM
Ugly Equipment Keeper

Make 100% sure you can drill your 90g. My new 90g is all tempered glass which is undrillable.

The price is a bit high - a new 90g tank pre-drilled is well under $400, and they depreciate fast. The stand may be worth something if its a higher end model. The only thing of value is the live rock otherwise, if it hasn't been neglected and covered with pest algae and other stuff.
Old 07/24/2007, 08:30 AM
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Grins
I don't think it sounds like a fabulous deal. I'd keep looking, there are people moving or downsizing or upsizing all the time.
fwiw, I picked up a 220g for $575 through my local fish club. tank/stand/canopy. I considered that a good deal

Click on my homepage to be taken to my RC Blog!
Old 07/24/2007, 08:33 AM
Registered Member

Someone in my club recently sold a complete 90g set-up with gorgeous livestock for about 650. They needed to move fast.
Old 07/24/2007, 09:05 AM
Gene Pool Lifeguard

Quote:
So- to keep my sanity I want to get back into the hobby
LOL! You may want to rethink that

Seriously though, it is an ok deal, not great, not bad. You may be able to find something cheaper in the local reef clubs or in the equipment selling forum. In any event, good luck in whatever you choose, this is a great resource.

"A Closed Mouth Gathers No Foot" - Unknown

Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.