Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/21/2006, 02:16 PM
Registered Member

I am dosing 1.6mg for my 120 gallon tank. I am adding it to the top off water so that it will be added slowly. The L-aparatic acid I acquired from a GNC in pure power form. As for frequency I am starting slow by adding 1.6mg every two weeks.
Old 12/21/2006, 04:01 PM
Registered Member

Oops, my bad on the conversion, missed that one.

Jmann, I "finished my education" at UCSF and now I am an educator at UTSW. I am a former roadie/triathlete that dabbles in mtn biking. Thanks to my stint at UCSF and a torn rotator cuff I havent ridden much in the last couple years. Im healthy and ready to ride off that extra 20 that I seemed to have picked up.

Sir, I figured that this process is a combination of nutrition for the corals mixed with amino acids that will boost growth, that is what happens in people too. I have been interested in glutamine also, have you tried that? Grazie, molto gentile
Old 12/21/2006, 07:34 PM
Registered Member

Solbby May I inquire as to why every 2 weeks? Don't the corals ingest AA's as needed? It doesn't effect water quality does it? I can understand going slow on the cubes of food to give the reef time to build up bacteria count aqnd such but don't understand the AA's every 2 weeks. Thanks John
Old 12/21/2006, 07:54 PM
Registered Member

I just discovered a easy way of getting the cubes to release out of the the trays. I just ran the tray, bottomside up, under some hot tap water for a minute, and tapped the tray on a tupperware bowl and the cubes fell out easily. I took them all out and put them in the storage bowl in freezer. John
Old 12/21/2006, 08:02 PM
More than meets the eye

Quote:
Originally posted by jmann
I just discovered a easy way of getting the cubes to release out of the the trays. I just ran the tray, bottomside up, under some hot tap water for a minute, and tapped the tray on a tupperware bowl and the cubes fell out easily. I took them all out and put them in the storage bowl in freezer. John
How about lineing the tray with wax paper or serran wrap?
Old 12/21/2006, 08:03 PM
More than meets the eye

Quote:
Originally posted by pito
DarkXerox, Thanks for posting that.

Quick question. This is a coral food right? So what about the fish? How often are the Italian fella's feeding them guys, and what? Could'nt we just add stuff to this mix for the fish (i.e. cyclopeeze, PE mysids, etc.) and just leave them in larger chunks? Ohh and what about adding oyster eggs for the corals?
I think i got left in the dust.
Old 12/22/2006, 10:02 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Roadtoad
Oops, my bad on the conversion, missed that one.

Jmann, I "finished my education" at UCSF and now I am an educator at UTSW. I am a former roadie/triathlete that dabbles in mtn biking. Thanks to my stint at UCSF and a torn rotator cuff I havent ridden much in the last couple years. Im healthy and ready to ride off that extra 20 that I seemed to have picked up.

Sir, I figured that this process is a combination of nutrition for the corals mixed with amino acids that will boost growth, that is what happens in people too. I have been interested in glutamine also, have you tried that? Grazie, molto gentile
Si, il discorso è giusto
purtroppo ho fatto il trasloco della mia vasca da poco, e quindi stò dosando solo pappone semplice.......non ho fatto nessuna altra prova, mi dispiace...
bye
Old 12/22/2006, 10:43 AM
Registered Member

translation
Old 12/22/2006, 10:46 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jmann
translation
Itself, the speech is just unfortunately I did the I move of my bath from little, and therefore was measuring out alone simple pappone. ......non I did no other test, displeases me...
Old 12/22/2006, 11:39 AM
Registered Member

He said that he thinks that what I wrote was correct. Unfortunately he had to move his tank around a little and is only feeding the tank the basic "glutton" mixture. He also said that he hasnt done any other tests which displeases him.
Old 12/22/2006, 01:03 PM
Pappone Nerd

Well I got back into the US last night and I think I'm over the jetlag a bit so here we go:

Pito: Yeah this is mainly a coral food considering the particle size. I'll try to find out what they prefer to feed fish, but generally I think our feeding practices here for fish are really good (mysis, formula 1, etc.). But the food does end up feeding all the other animals in the tank (pods, etc.)

Everyone: As for the name of this food, refer to it in the Italian word "Pappone" since it was an Italian invention. There is no need to translate it (enough of our language has gone into theirs--it's only fair!)

I also found out that there really is no need to do the "boosting" of the tank params--some people do, some people don't and it really is up to you depending how adventerous you are. The primary thing (as always) is to manage your PO4 and NO3 levels during this.
Old 12/24/2006, 06:06 PM
Registered Member

Buon Natale

Buon Natale to all of our friends in Italy
Old 12/24/2006, 07:21 PM
Registered Member

Re: Buon Natale

Quote:
Originally posted by crlmn11
Buon Natale to all of our friends in Italy
Grazie!!!!!

BUON NATALE anche a voi, amici americani!

Ciao Fabio.
Old 12/25/2006, 01:10 AM
Registered Member

Merry Christmas Everyone!!

Buon Natale

!!!!!!!!!!!!!FOR SALE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12/26/2006, 11:16 PM
Premium Member

Hi all,

written earlier in thread: "You have to stop the skimmer for 2 hours after this though, but leave circulation pumps on of course."

I have two cannister filters with carbon and chemi-pure running at about 700gph each. When I put in the seafood pappone afte the lights go out, should I turn off the cannister filters? If so, how long would you recommend?

Thanks,

Paul
Old 12/27/2006, 07:20 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
10 g of Red Algae (Palmaria palmata; Bisck uses Julian Sprung's brand)
and/or 10 g of Spirulina, 10 g of Nori (spirulina is what Bisck prefers)
Do I just pick one of these to use?

I stopped at a vitamin store today, they had huge cans of Spirulina for 31 bucks, can't see it retaining it's vitamins by the time I use it up, by say 2010

Thanks

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
Old 12/27/2006, 07:29 PM
More than meets the eye

Is everyone feeding the coral food mix to their tanks at night? I'm asking because I've been reading this thread about doseing sugar, and it saise that the type of bacteria that grows from sugar use will use up some oxygen in your tank. Knowing that oxygen levels in the tank can already be low at night, I thought it might be a problem.
Old 12/27/2006, 07:36 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Is everyone feeding the coral food mix to their tanks at night? I'm asking because I've been reading this thread about doseing sugar, and it saise that the type of bacteria that grows from sugar use will use up some oxygen in your tank. Knowing that oxygen levels in the tank can already be low at night, I thought it might be a problem.
I feed at night, just leave the skimmer running, take the collection cup off. That will help to keep the O2 levels up.
Old 12/27/2006, 07:50 PM
More than meets the eye

Maybe it would be better to dose the sugar by itself during the day?
Old 12/27/2006, 08:31 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Maybe it would be better to dose the sugar by itself during the day?
I put the sugar in the food when making the recipe and then froze it. That is what the recipe called for. That way it can bind with the bacterias.....
Old 12/27/2006, 10:24 PM
Premium Member

Hi,

So no need to worry about turning off carbon or our cannister filters? Skimmer 2 hours ok.

thx,

Paul
Old 12/27/2006, 10:24 PM
Premium Member

Hi,

So no need to worry about turning off carbon or our cannister filters? Skimmer 2 hours ok.

thx,

Paul
Old 12/27/2006, 10:27 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by paulfromero
Hi,

thx,

Paul
I just leave skimmer cup off till next morning. I myself do not turn off carbon.
Old 12/28/2006, 01:42 PM
Premium Member

So, do I want
10 g of Red Algae and/or 10 g of Spirulina, and 10 g of Nori
for a total of 30 grams

anybody?

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
Old 12/28/2006, 02:28 PM
Registered Member

Sir, Solbby or other Bio-geeks reading this,

I was thinking about this Aspartic acid thing this past week and thought of two areas where Asp might be active in calcium growth. First, and most likely, There is a paper that suggests that Asp stabilizes CaCO3 in solution at levels above super-saturation. The concentration of Asp was pretty high in the experiments. Corals may take advantage of this and use high concentrations of Asp in areas of active Ca deposition.

Alternatively, I was remembering my biochem the other day and thought that Asp might be used in generating energy for Ca depositon. In this scenario, Asp might be deaminated to oxaloacetate for use in the Kreb's cycle (similar to Alanine and pyruvate)? This would point to the effect of Asp in energy availability. If this is true, dosing oxaloacetate or even pyruvate might have the same effects.

Ciao