Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Richmond Reef Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/11/2004, 10:03 AM
Registered Member

Hey Steven,

What did you use to fix those Tunze to the the Mag floats?

Peace,
John H.
Old 11/11/2004, 10:57 AM
Registered Member

john, correct me if i'm wrong steven, but i believe they are the magnet holders for the tunze.
Old 11/11/2004, 11:46 AM
Registered Member

Hey Jay,

Take a close look and you will see that they are trusty mag floats keeping those Tunze in position.

I was just wondering what he used to affix them to the magnet floats (superglue, expoxy?)... I guess what I'm wondering is if they are permanently glued to those things.

Peace,
John H.
Old 11/11/2004, 01:07 PM
Premium Member

Its just superglued. I used the mag floats because the tunze holders werent available when I bought them. I plan on getting a pair so I can use the regular mounting bracket and angle the streams left and right again.
Old 11/11/2004, 05:00 PM
Registered Member

haha, my fault i wasn't paying to close attention, nice, superglue is a great piece of reef tank equipment
Old 11/12/2004, 09:42 PM
Registered Member

my tank pictures

im sort of new at taking pictures. im not really sure how to get a clear picture on the tank, displaying its natural color, or zooming in and still being able to focus. but i gave it a shot.

its a 75 gallon drilled, corner overflow. 20 gallon sump, pretty new. just set up 5 months ago. im definitely trying to redesign out my whole sump system, but just tried to get it up and going for now since i just got back in town.
fish:
pair true percs, 2 cleaner shrimp, algae blenny, spotted manderin, and potters angel
various montiporas, some easy to take care of acroporas, some lps, and couple variants of zoos, and two cap bred rose anemones.
right side
[IMG]
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/...ctures_070.jpg [/IMG]
left side
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/...ctures_075.jpg
single ricordia polyp that needs to be cut
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/...ctures_062.jpg
clowns in the anemone
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/...ctures_066.jpg
table acro from raffle last night
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/...ctures_063.jpg

feel free to comment or whatever. sorry about being so late with posting up my tank on here.
Old 11/13/2004, 07:11 AM
Premium Member

5 months old!! I'm seriously jealous. BTW is that the ricordia that ate Tokyo? how big is that baby?
Old 11/15/2004, 11:19 AM
You Load 16Tons...

looking good marshall. it's a shame you had to give up the bubble coral, though jeremy still has it if you want to negotiate to get it back (and think you could fit it in even). and it looks like your tank is more than ready to get that acro back, i'll bring it on my next run through richmond if you want. it turned kinda-sorta purpleish and sent up a bunch of branches, and a small spot of it is just starting to turn green.

i also have a fair amount of that lavender candy-cane if you need a frag-back of it, and anything else i have is fair game. and i'm sure the other guys would chip in big-time if i went around with a cooler. anything in particular you want from us?

wildthing:
i'm pretty sure that ricordia came from me, i can get you one if you want (look in my cube pic back on page1).
Old 11/15/2004, 03:03 PM
Registered Member

That ricordia is around 5 inches wide, and yeah it did come from Matts tank along with some of my button polyps, and the red zoos, on the right side of my tank. I thought i had lost the ricordia a couple months ago when all of a sudden it sprung up and now is monsterous and wont split for me.

Matt i didnt realize that brown acro could turn out so good looking. I wouldnt want to part that acro from you matt, but if its possible I would a love a frag of it. As far as other stuff, I would love a piece of that red cap you once gave me which i had to part when i left blacksburg. If Icould get a head of that candy cane that would be awesome too. I'm trying to keep with all the easy to take care of corals until i can get with a calcium reacter which should be around christmas time.

I really do miss that bubble coral, I havent been able to find one anything near its size. but i would nt be able to keep it now, until i set up my 125 which should be sometime in the near future. That bubble would just dominate my tank, but one thing I dont mind is not having to deal with its sweepers.
Heres a picture of it just for everybody who hasnt seen a nice size bubble coral.
Old 11/15/2004, 03:13 PM
Registered Member

Of course i forgot to mention, that anything you or anybody around would like from my tank, i would be more than happy to help out with.
Old 11/15/2004, 07:57 PM
Premium Member

Here's mine. 90 gallon, 2-175 watt metal halides, 2 standard fluorescents-50/50 and actinic (just to get the "look" I wanted), wet/dry, protein skimmer, UV sterilizer, DIY coil denitrator, 133lbs live rock, Deionizer and auto top off tank in garage.

Started 9 months ago. I love to get small frags and (hopefully) watch 'em grow.

Middle

Left side

Right side
Old 11/15/2004, 10:44 PM
Registered Member

Nice tank Rick! Any luck locating a Mg test kit yet?
Old 11/16/2004, 06:37 AM
Premium Member

Thanks. No. I'll wait until you get them in. Mg and Iodine. How's their Phosphate kit? I might as well get it also.

Rick
Old 11/16/2004, 09:18 AM
Registered Member

Your wife wasn't kidding when she said that your thank is clean.
Love your rock work, looks like my 65.
BTW hows the tort doing?
Old 11/16/2004, 11:09 AM
Premium Member

Hi Mike,

Well, uh, for now, it's just hanging out. It hasn't opened since I placed it in the tank. I now know that my Alkalinity is high (5.26 meq/l) and I'm letting it slowly come down. Maybe that's why.

Did you see the clam????? As soon as I take the egg crate off it-the yellow tang pecks at it. He never hurts it. It's just being a P.I.T.A. and keeping it closed up. Brandon had a thought on this that I'll run by you one day soon.

The brown Monti is doing great and growing. The green monti is just existing; but, I may have too much flow on it (main pump).

The hydnophora frags are doing well. They are encrusting further out at the base; but, no upward growth. Is that normal or due to something in particular?

Most everything is doing fine. The fish always look great!

Rick
Old 11/16/2004, 08:02 PM
SPS Slave

Quote:
Originally posted by rick ss
Did you see the clam????? As soon as I take the egg crate off it-the yellow tang pecks at it. He never hurts it. It's just being a P.I.T.A. and keeping it closed up. Brandon had a thought on this that I'll run by you one day soon.
Yellow tangs are right up there with striped damsels, IMO. Frickin evil incarnate. Look up butt-munch in the fish dictionary, and there's a yellow tang.
Old 11/16/2004, 08:36 PM
Registered Member

I was never under the impression that yellow tangs would pick at clams. Mine has totally ignored my derasa for the longest time and that new crocea is looking peachy keen and is totally being ignored. I guess I should chalk it up to luck.

Peace,
John H.
Old 11/16/2004, 08:39 PM
River Rat

I am sure some of you guys have come up with a mini-spear gun! I promise I will let not let it out------ I need too kill fish too!! Poping fresh- frag- whatever (lol), NICE Tank, were did you get the yellow bird nest?
Old 11/16/2004, 09:44 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for all the comments guys. I am really enjoying the tank and I spend waaaaaaayyyyyyy too much time looking at it/playing with it.

Charlie, the Birds Nest came from Mike at Strictly Marine. It is soooo cool. The picture doesn't do it justice.
Old 11/16/2004, 10:02 PM
River Rat

I was picking on Mike- Prop-frag (Mike- only time I will get it right!) he has the great pics (stuff), posted prior to you. SHHHH, don't tell! BTW, R&R,your tank really inspires us all!!!!!!!!!!! You, dog. Many of us do not have our better halfs enthusiasm!!!
Old 11/19/2004, 07:36 PM
Don't make me use this

Rick--if the yellow tang continues to peck at the clam, it will stay closed most of the time, causing a great amount of stress and potential harm to the clam. I've seen customers' clams die after a week of harassment from some fish or another in their tanks. The fish doesn't need to inflict physical damage to harm the clam, IME. HTH>

Charlie----the mini spear gun is........#18 gold plated salmon egg hooks on thick black sewing thread. Of course, you'll have to be careful to catch the right fish. I'm not kidding. Just crimp off the barb so you can easily remove the hook. If you are careful, there is really very little damage to the fish. You might think it cruel, but it's better than dismantling an entire tank to get out one fish.

Good luck guys and gals.
Nate

Nate
Old 11/22/2004, 09:14 AM
Premium Member

mr294

How many years,months of growth on those acros in your tank?
Old 11/22/2004, 11:00 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by arconom
mr294

How many years,months of growth on those acros in your tank?
I've had most of the corals for 1 or 2 years (about the time I really got bitten by the SPS bug). The birdsnest is the first SPS frag I ever got, and that has been growing out for about 4+ years. I've fragged the colony pretty heavily for friends though. Overall Iwould say about 50% of the stuff in my tank grew out from frags and the other 50% started as small/medium colonies.
Old 12/03/2004, 12:38 PM
River Rat

Nate, I bought the hooks, I just do not have the heart (yet)! At the river, I pull the backs off live crabs/ filet live fish and yet I can't seem to go fishing in my own tank!
Old 12/03/2004, 01:23 PM
Registered Member

Well I wanted to post mine now, even though it's not too much to look at. At least I'll have a before and after at some point.

So here it is, 1 month old (click it).

-j