Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Richmond Reef Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/08/2008, 02:14 PM
Registered Member

Ric buy for Feb Frag Meet???

Does anyone want to put together a group buy? I'm willing to buy as long as I have some backing. I'm looking to get some and was wondering if anyone else would like to go in on one.

Let me know what you think
Old 01/08/2008, 02:55 PM
Wet Hand Club of Chicago

Hello from Chicago! Check this out-> http://zomania.com/index.php?main_pa...58beeb43fe6a84
I just bought a ricordia pack and was happy. The ricordias were small (3/4" average) but the mixture of colors and price were fair. Shipping was free.

------------------------------------------------
If you work on a lobster boat, sneaking up behind someone and pinching him is probably a joke that gets old real fast
Old 01/08/2008, 03:17 PM
Mouth Pipetting

I'm interested
Old 01/08/2008, 04:02 PM
Registered Member

Im interested too!
Old 01/08/2008, 04:16 PM
I bleed orange and maroon

Quote:
Originally posted by Engine 7
Hello from Chicago! Check this out-> http://zomania.com/index.php?main_pa...58beeb43fe6a84
I just bought a ricordia pack and was happy. The ricordias were small (3/4" average) but the mixture of colors and price were fair. Shipping was free.
that wholesale groupbuy of 50 rics for $450 looks pretty good. comes out to about $9/ric and includes free shipping. i'd be in on that.

http://zomania.com/index.php?main_pa...58beeb43fe6a84

FWIW.....you can find ricordia packs like that on ebay too from distributors in Florida.

EDIT: Actually, Zoamania is owned by Gateway Aquatics.....and they have the same 50ct ric package on ebay for $300 + $35 shipping, which is $6.70/ric.

http://cgi.ebay.com/50-Asst-Colored-...QQcmdZViewItem

Richmond Reef Club

GO HOKIES!!
Old 01/08/2008, 05:17 PM
Registered Member

Let me know which way we want to go. I'm cool either way
Old 01/08/2008, 05:21 PM
Registered Member

Its 50 shipping and bring them to 7 even per Ric. I know I know but lets be correct here. Just kidding. Sounds like a go for me on this end so far its just three of us any more takers???
Old 01/08/2008, 05:38 PM
Registered Member

I'd be interested, but I can't commit yet...
Frogspawn
Kenya Tree (large)
Button Polyps
Xenia
GSP/PSP
Richmond Tricolor
Unknown Blue Tip Acro
Torch
Anthelia
Old 01/08/2008, 06:14 PM
Wet Hand Club of Chicago

Just so you guys know. I thaught the package was a great deal but as far as colors go I ended up with around 2 pinks, 15 orange, 4 metalic greens, a few blues, a 20 greens, a few teals, and a few golds. How you split them up may be a concern. They are mounted but they are mounted on crushed coral, glue blobs, small rocks etc.
With all that said, I feel they are a great way to get some cheap rics for your reefs.

------------------------------------------------
If you work on a lobster boat, sneaking up behind someone and pinching him is probably a joke that gets old real fast
Old 01/08/2008, 06:18 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by phurst
I'd be interested, but I can't commit yet...
Same boat here...want some, but can't commit just yet...

Quote:
Originally posted by Engine 7
Just so you guys know. I thaught the package was a great deal but as far as colors go I ended up with around 2 pinks, 15 orange, 4 metalic greens, a few blues, a 20 greens, a few teals, and a few golds. How you split them up may be a concern. They are mounted but they are mounted on crushed coral, glue blobs, small rocks etc.
With all that said, I feel they are a great way to get some cheap rics for your reefs.
When we do group buys with our group, we typically do it raffle style...we pick numbers out of a hat, raffle tickets, etc. to make it fair...just pick from the lot based on our number...works well and is very fair to everyone...

Current Livestock -

Yellow Tang // ORA Clown
Flame Angel // Sailfin Blenny
Pair Cleaner Shrimp // Sexy Anemone Shrimp
T Maxima Clam // Sebae Anemone
Old 01/08/2008, 07:42 PM
I think I love my tank

At that price I couldn't pass it up. I'm in for three.
Longnose Hawkfish
Magnificent Rabbitfish
Diamond Goby
Blond Naso Tang
Bluechin Trigger

I got the poo on me.
Old 01/08/2008, 09:26 PM
Registered Member

Then it's done. I will order and then what ever number of tickets sell, sell.

Just waiting on a confirmed date then.

Thanks to all.
Old 01/08/2008, 10:16 PM
Registered Member

im interested as well
Old 01/08/2008, 10:16 PM
Premium Member

Sounds like a plan, I would be in for a couple myself. I will pick up a roll of raffle tickets so we can run it the same way Alex and Anthony did at the Dec meet.

I am looking at the 16th as being the date but will give the poll until Friday or so before setting it in stone.

I am also still looking at putting together the SPS/LPS buy and/or Acan Lord buy. I have made arrangements for use of a dremel and will have plenty of plugs/disks to mount them on. One disclaimer though, if we do a Acan Lord buy, it will have to be at your own risk. I can setup the purchase, get the colony and get it fragged but as with all things in this hobby, there is the potential for die off and at 250.00-500.00 a colony, that is a risk we will have to take. Anyone have any preferences/colors of Acans they are looking for? thecaptivereef.com has some awesome acans but quite pricey any other suggestions. It would take about 5-10 people to commit to $50 a frag which would be 2-3 polyps I am guessing depending on the size of the colony.

The SPS/LPS buy would run $10-$20 a ticket depending on the corals and the number of people that commit to the buy.

Will start the thread for the buys on Saturday with the paypal link. Order would be place for Thursday 14th or Friday the 15th delivery. I also have approx 40 Zoanthid and SPS Frags in my frag tank right now that would be for sale or trade.

WreckDiver
aka: CyBrSuFr

Click the little red house for the latest tank picts

Old 01/08/2008, 10:39 PM

this is JMO.....but i think we should stick to one group buy. people are still recovering from the holidays and stuff, so i'm not sure we could get enough support on multiple group buys. i think smaller will be more successful.....as if you go larger you could set yourself up for disappointment if the turnout isn't lived up to expectations.

the worst part is the financial risk if there are allot of leftovers that weren't planned for. thats why anthony got down payments on most of the clams before we purchased them.

i think it would be more special to keep it at one big group buy for each meet. and then maybe if a small group of people want to go in on something more expensive like 2 or 3 acan colonies to frag up that is fine too.

even Anthony and I had reservations about getting sevral shipments of sps/lps AND clams from 2 different stores, its just allot of financial risk to take on, and risk in the logistics of being able to house that many corals. at one point i think Anthony was deciding on either/or....as it was just too much to coordinate and too much risk.

maybe someone should start a poll with all the different group buy options that are on the table, to get an idea of what people want this go around. i like the ricordia idea since its different, they are cheap, and even newbie reefers can keep them....thus it should get allot of support.

as far as the acan buy, it would be cool....but yes there is substantial risks involved, even with the more experienced reef keepers. IME fragging acans takes practice to do it right without killing them, as the heat from the dremel disk usually burns the polyps making for a difficult recovery. i also wouldn't want the frags changing tanks right after being fragged. it would need to be something done at least 2 weeks in advance IMO. i know of some sweet connections to get some nice colonies for cheap if there are a couple of serious people for this.

Richmond Reef Club

GO HOKIES!!
Old 01/08/2008, 11:29 PM
Premium Member

That sounds better. I am interested in the Acans but don't think there will be a lot of interest in them due to the prices. If we want to run with the Rics, that is good, however I would still want to do a SPS/LPS buy as that was my intention when setting up the meet. The Ric buy sounds like a good deal and I know there are a few of the members that love Rics (Cnelson ), but I want to make sure there is something for those who are looking for SPS/LPS and that buy is not that expensive.

WreckDiver

Click the little red house for the latest tank picts

Old 01/09/2008, 12:34 PM
Registered Member

Talked to Chad at Zomania and he said that he can hold the 50 pack for use until the 15. Ship then and will arrive for the meet which I understand is going to be the 16? He said I can change the date if needed. So this is a go I just want to make sure! Have to hide the money from the old lady. Which I know we all have had to do at some point mines Cindy

Thanks for all that have posted

Question what is the best way to bring? In a cooler with a light so we all can see the colors of the loto ticket that we buy??? Please let me know first time with fish internet sales for frag meet. I came under propared at the last meet.
Old 01/09/2008, 01:13 PM

well, IMO you should get the ric frags at the beginning of the week, and give them a couple of days to recover from shipping before bringing to the meet. hopefully you have a tank that can house that many...and its a huge responsibility since theres a possibility they could all die in a tank crash.

when you bring them to the meet......the best way would to just toss them all in a 5g bucket with water from your tank and a lid. then hopefully the reef host will have some sort of frag tank already there you can toss all of the stuff into.

i've contemplated buying my own 10g tank and setting it up with egg crate and a clip on 150w 20k MH that i can tote around to things like this, since i've done these kind of swaps/raffles a couple of times and have seen other people bring similar setups.

i still think this is way too much group buying to do when we aren't even completely sure how many people will show up. 50 frags of rics, plus an lps/sps group buy, AND 10-15 frags of acans is way more work than what me and twon put together, so i'm a little stand off'ish about the acan buy as i can't be left with leftovers. i did find an incredible deal for 50/50 ultra and grade A aussie acan frags for about $40-$50 each, and each frag will be a different morph.

Richmond Reef Club

GO HOKIES!!
Old 01/09/2008, 02:06 PM
Registered Member

Hey I didn't make the last meet, but plan on coming to this one unless something major comes up. Just thought I'd let you guys know in case it is going to affect your decision. I'd be in for the ric buy but not acan! I can paypal ahead of time if needed.
Old 01/09/2008, 02:40 PM
Premium Member

Quote:

i still think this is way too much group buying to do when we aren't even completely sure how many people will show up. 50 frags of rics, plus an lps/sps group buy, AND 10-15 frags of acans is way more work than what me and twon put together, so i'm a little stand off'ish about the acan buy as i can't be left with leftovers. i did find an incredible deal for 50/50 ultra and grade A aussie acan frags for about $40-$50 each, and each frag will be a different morph. [/B]
I decided against the Acan buy based on your recommendation. The only buy I am doing for the meet/swap is an SPS/LPS buy. I have a frag tank that can handle them. It should not be a problem to get enough buy in to do a 20 or 30 pack from Monty or even a 10 pack of the hand picked. Thatis the only buy I am coordinating for the swap. Anyone else is on their own

PS. I do not have a frag system capable of holding 50 Rics so we will have to figure something out. My frag tank is only a 20 Gallon tank and it is pretty full with Zoa's and SPS. Maybe someone has some of those rubbermaid totes or something along those lines we could use for storage. I have the Saltwater and a RODI system if we need more.

WreckDiver
Click the little red house for the latest tank pictures

Last edited by cybrsufr; 01/09/2008 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01/09/2008, 02:57 PM
Premium Member

Per1 - If you can house the ricks like al suggested an option may be to take a quality pic of each individual and then bag each for the swap with it's pic. Just a thought!!
Old 01/09/2008, 04:07 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by surfnvb7

i know of some sweet connections to get some nice colonies for cheap if there are a couple of serious people for this.
Very INteresting...

Old 01/09/2008, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mr294
Very INteresting...

send me a PM and we'll talk

Richmond Reef Club

GO HOKIES!!
Old 01/09/2008, 05:55 PM
I think I love my tank

cybrsufr, is it possible to post pics of your zoas? I'll have recovered from Christmas by then and would like to get a few.
Longnose Hawkfish
Magnificent Rabbitfish
Diamond Goby
Blond Naso Tang
Bluechin Trigger

I got the poo on me.
Old 01/09/2008, 06:04 PM
I think I love my tank

Quote:
Originally posted by LB
Per1 - If you can house the ricks like al suggested an option may be to take a quality pic of each individual and then bag each for the swap with it's pic. Just a thought!!
Ya know that a good idea. It would be nice to see what we're getting...if it's possible.
Longnose Hawkfish
Magnificent Rabbitfish
Diamond Goby
Blond Naso Tang
Bluechin Trigger

I got the poo on me.